19 replies to this topic

#1 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

A list of RM4 webinars has been posted at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars .

"Getting Started with RootsMagic" has occurred real-time and is now available for download. I'll try to add to this thread as more involving the various other subjects are posted as downloadable.

#2 Jay H

Jay H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

As an intermediate-level user I found the Getting Started webinar very helpful. Perhaps the RootsMagician of one of his assistants can let us know if a CD will be made available. Also, is it possible to obtain a copy of the demo file sample.rmgc?

I do note the video seems to take up to 3 or 4 minutes to start playing back. Is this a server issue, or likely to be a setup issue on my end?

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

Jay, I'm assuming that you received the delay due to trying to view the webcast online by clicking on the link, rather than downloading it to your local computer drive, etc. If so, your performance wouldn't be expected to be as good. Just follow the directions on the webpage as to how to do the latter.

Once you download the various files to your local drive, I suppose that you could also later copy them to a CD, DVD, etc, subject to space limitations.

#4 Jay H

Jay H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, Romer. It would help if I would read the instructions instead of just left-clicking on the link to initiate the playback. :) Downloaded to local storage - no more problems.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3567 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Just downloaded and I have an ISSUE! The video lags the audio by 12-15 secs on my brand new Toshiba Satellite dual processor Win 7 laptop. Listen to Bruce's keystrokes and measure the time it takes to see the characters display. Do you have the same problem?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Do you have the same problem?

Yes the lag is there but how nice it was to see RM being used as intended, I'm looking forward to Sourcing as it would not be my strong point.

Also I believe a webinar on noting and managing Places would help bring users closer to some sort of standard, hopefully the Mapping release will help.

Finally, well done to Bruce for holding it together for over an hour, not easy. I know Michael was in the background but continuous presenting for that length of time deserves recognition.

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#7 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Yes, I downloaded then played the first tutorial. I get about a 10-12 second delay of the video after the audio. Looks like I have the same hardware and OS as TomH.

Also, the video gets messed up at around 22 & 27 minutes. At 22 minutes, the pedigree view disappears leaving only the person info at the top of the screen. At 27 minutes, black vertical streaks. I didn't go beyond that.

Jeff

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Didn't notice that issue when I viewed it a day or so ago, but may not have been paying as close attention. I'm on Vista Home Premium.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Also, the video gets messed up at around 22 & 27 minutes. At 22 minutes, the pedigree view disappears leaving only the person info at the top of the screen. At 27 minutes, black vertical streaks. I didn't go beyond that.

I don't get any video disturbance and the lack of sync did not ruin the presentation for me.

Looking again in more detail for the video disturbance I did notice that Bruce discreetly adjusts the column size for the birth date on the People View at 29:03, I do wish he would fix that annoying issue to autosize at least on the date columns. <_<

Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2599 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

Played flawlessly for me on my old P4 2.8 Mhz (using VLC media player) with no audio sync/delay problems, nor video corruption (except the limits of the screen recording software).
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

Played flawlessly for me on my old P4 2.8 Mhz (using VLC media player) with no audio sync/delay problems, nor video corruption (except the limits of the screen recording software).

Sync problems like this are usually codec problems although I am using Media Player Classic and the K-Lite Codec Pack which usually handles everything I throw at it with a very small footprint, even runs from a flash drive.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3567 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

The recording of Webinar #2 was much better audio-video synchronised than #1. No complaint. It also was recorded at a much lower bit rate resulting in a much smaller file and shorter download time. I can't imagine that the lower bit rate should have had any effect on synchronisation within my fairly hot notebook; the first webinar's recording is faulty, I'm quite sure. Is it too late to re-record it at the same settings as #2 to see if its 12 second offset can be corrected?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

I note that the file type of the first webinar file that I downloaded was m4v, while it's mp4 for the second.

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2599 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

the first webinar's recording is faulty, I'm quite sure.

Faulty it is not. I'm quite sure. Why? Because I've played it in several players (VLC media player, Quicktime Player and RealPlayer) on my *old* system here, as both an .M4V and .MP4 without synch problems. However, some of my other media players (The KMplayer and GOM player) *do* exhibit some lag in a few spots. I can reproduce some varying lag "sorta consistently" in those players at the 40:00 to 42:00 mark (Groups - Random People), but once again, using the first three are accurate (I suspect the "secret" is that none of those three use the Windows codecs - as Vyger postulated). Perhaps someone else could take the time to try one of those (that work for me) and report their experiences back to this thread? I know I'm not crazy, but I could be lucky :)
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'm not having any problems with sync or video disturbance in Real Player on my Vista Business. There are some pauses to load but I expected that on my system. I haven't tried any other media player. Both the Webinars are showing saved as MP4 files on my hard drive.

Laura
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2599 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Both the Webinars are showing saved as MP4 files on my hard drive.

Raw MPEG-4 Visual bitstreams have an .M4V extension, but can also be "wrapped" in a container format whose extension is .MP4
I originally watched the webinar while it streamed to my machine, then retrieved a copy from my IE browser cache (it was in .M4V format).
I then made a copy and renamed it with extension .MP4 instead of .M4V
Both play equally well in players that support either of those formats.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#17 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I saved the Webinars from the website by doing the right click and Save link as. I joined the second webinar online while it was in progress but didn't save it until it was saved to the website.

Laura
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#18 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Didn't see this listed previously, but I happened to stumble upon a "RootsMagic and FamilySearch for Family History Centers" tutorial recorded from last week. It can be found at http://www.rootsmagi...earch/Tutorials .

I've not viewed it yet, so can't say if it might be good preparation for tomorrow's "FamilySearch Made Easy with RootsMagic" webinar. May try to watch it tonight.

#19 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

After having viewed the tutorial, I suspect that the subject matter will be very similar between it and tomorrow's webinar.

Particularly for those without nFS access as of yet, it's an excellent introduction as to its workings, issues that have arisen, and some future direction. Unfortunately, continuously changing nFS features and necessary updates to the API will likely make the recorded webinar a bit outdated fairly quickly, although the core functionality and major, more important features should hopefully largely remain the same over the short-term future.

#20 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

That "FamilySearch Made Easy with RootsMagic" tutorial was well-worth viewing, by the way. It did turn out to be quite similar to the earlier one, so if you're limiting yourself to one or the other, the latter should be fine.