3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Wornell

Kevin Wornell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

I have created a new fact for recording when a widow files for military benefits based on her husband's military service. I am trying to get either [Husband] or [Spouse] to be in the sentence. Neither one seems to work. Here is my sentence template:

[person] filed for military pension benefits based on<[Spouse]>'s service in the< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

I put the war/military campaign in the [Desc] filed so the resulting sentence should look like this:

Mary Jones filed for military pension benefits based on Tom Jones's service in the Civil War on Jan 1 1890 in Missouri.

Everything works properly except the name of the husband. The sentence actually looks like this:

Mary Jones filed for military pension benefits based on [Husband]'s service in the Civil War on Jan 1 1890 in Missouri.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Those fields only work for a family fact, like marriage or divorce.
If you want a personal fact sentence to include the husband, add him as a sharee of the fact and enter sentence template including the role name you assign.
Alfred

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

The reason that these fields work only for family facts is due to the possibility that a person has/had more than one spouse. The program wouldn't know which one to indicate in a personal fact.

#4 Kevin Wornell

Kevin Wornell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for the replies. It makes sense that there could be an issue using the Husband or Spouse variable with multiple spouses.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is just modify the sentence each time I use that fact. I have the basic information in the sentence template and I can simply replace the bracketed part with a name by customizing the sentence. Just need to be sure I have the sentence exactly as I want it before I begin using it very much.