47 replies to this topic

#21 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Good luck in finding the issues and posting a fix.

Hopefully also finding the problem which prevents the suggestive Place Details coming up, it did work in an earlier build.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#22 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

I don't mind being a beta tester as long as I know up front.... ;)

It's taken me awhile to figure it out, but it finally dawned on me that we are beta testing software that appears to me to be a hobby rather than a business for the developers. :o
Jack

a posteriori

#23 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

From another thread in which I posted:

I thought that you had to click the Save button when you changed anything in the top right panel applying to any item highlighted in the left panel of the Edit Person screen before navigating elsewhere or to another item on the left. I thought that this behavior was instituted with RM4 as part of the redesign of fact data entry from RM3. Save was not an option there.

Anyway, based on replies of others here, I'm evidently mistaken! If so, am I completely wrong, or did the functionality change at some update and I just didn't notice?

Perhaps I've always been using the Save button for those items in the top right of the right panel of the Edit Person screen. If you edit something in that aection, the Save button goes from being greyed out to activated, making it appear as though data weren't saved until that button were pressed.

#24 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

We have discovered and fixed the problem and will be uploading a fix later today after we have tested it a little bit. We hadn't changed anything in the edit screen itself... it was a byproduct of an updated version of the list control we use in the edit screen.
RootsMagician

#25 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

We have discovered and fixed the problem and will be uploading a fix later today after we have tested it a little bit. We hadn't changed anything in the edit screen itself... it was a byproduct of an updated version of the list control we use in the edit screen.

Now if you can just find and fix the remaining outstanding problems as quickly - no pressure ;)

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#26 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Perhaps I've always been using the Save button for those items in the top right of the right panel of the Edit Person screen. If you edit something in that aection, the Save button goes from being greyed out to activated, making it appear as though data weren't saved until that button were pressed.

Below is direct quote some time ago from RM support

"Actually you never have to use the Save button. It was added in this situation because of people who panick without a Save button.
The information is autosaved after you enter it."

And thats how I like it to be.....

Root

#27 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Very good, Vyger -- good to know! It also saves some keystrokes.

Problem now is that those who thought that clicking the Save button was the only way to do so might be inadvertently saving data that they didn't intend to due to auto-save! Bottom line is that it looks as though one needs to click the Cancel button if any information is entered that isn't intended to be kept.

#28 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Below is direct quote some time ago from RM support

"Actually you never have to use the Save button. It was added in this situation because of people who panick without a Save button.
The information is autosaved after you enter it."

I remember seeing that back when the Save button was introduced. Which is why I did not get into the habit of hitting the save button. Time to change my habits . . .
~ Debbie

#29 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Very good, Vyger -- good to know! It also saves some keystrokes.

Saves a lot of clicking especially those clicking SAVE & OK.

That email came in response to the lack of Place Details suggestions unless you click SAVE after tabbing out of Place, not how things were intended.

Root

#30 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Update 4.0.9.9 was just released to resolve this issue.
Renee
RootsMagic

#31 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

There was not much in the update to excite me so I did not rush to install it.

I saw the mention of website bug fixes and said, "Whoope!" After installing the update and creating a new website, I think the only thing that was fixed was the "[xUpline]" bug. The rest of the website bugs remain.

The resort children by christen date is something I've been asking about for a long time. It's good that's finally done.

The loss of the implicit save on window close has already trapped me several times.

#32 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:38 AM

Thank you so very much for all your input. I had no idea that what I wrote would get so many responses. I don't get home from work until almost midnight, so I will download .9 and see how it looks. I have only had RM a short time compared to some of you. I had no idea that this apparently is an ongoing problem. I am semi-retired now, but I came from the computer industry (mostly mainframes if anyone even knows what I am talking about). The equipment was more expensive than the programmers in those days and there was much desk work included in testing as it may take a day or even more to get a test turned around. The customer never expected a product with errors and we always did thorough testing with test data provided by the customer,etc. We then did beta testing with the customer included and we purposely tried to break the product before putting it into production AND THE CUSTOMER HAD TO SIGN OFF ACCEPTING THE RESULTS.

Why Bruce and his people aren't testing RM further before releasing, who knows. Maybe they know it too well and are feeding it data with known results rather than trying to do it the way the user community would do it.

Oh, well. Let's wait and see what comes next.

Thanks again, everyone.

#33 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Thank you so very much for all your input. I had no idea that what I wrote would get so many responses. I don't get home from work until almost midnight, so I will download .9 and see how it looks. I have only had RM a short time compared to some of you. I had no idea that this apparently is an ongoing problem. I am semi-retired now, but I came from the computer industry (mostly mainframes if anyone even knows what I am talking about). The equipment was more expensive than the programmers in those days and there was much desk work included in testing as it may take a day or even more to get a test turned around. The customer never expected a product with errors and we always did thorough testing with test data provided by the customer,etc. We then did beta testing with the customer included and we purposely tried to break the product before putting it into production AND THE CUSTOMER HAD TO SIGN OFF ACCEPTING THE RESULTS.

Why Bruce and his people aren't testing RM further before releasing, who knows. Maybe they know it too well and are feeding it data with known results rather than trying to do it the way the user community would do it.

Oh, well. Let's wait and see what comes next.

Thanks again, everyone.

Excellent synopsis, Willis, of "the way it used to be". In RootsMagic's case, it seems to be a matter of too few testers, too many cruises.

#34 Tim Cole

Tim Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Does anyone have the previous version from the one released yesterday that I could somehow get?

I ALWAYS install the new versions in a different library until I am sure they work. This, of all times, I did not do that. I can't edit anything without it dropping it. I was updating a record for which I only had a name, but I had recently obtained the death certificate. I entered the birth, death, burial and it dropped all but the last one. I then went back and entered the death date and place and thought that it took it. When I went to enter the birth date and place it dropped the death date place. Saved the record hoping I could get around it that way. Entered the death date info again and save it. Brought up the record and it had dropped some burial information that I had entered.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! Why doesn't RootsMagic put on its website that there are problems with the new release and to put off installing it until it is fixed AND IN ADDITION OFFERING A SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT HAD ALREADY STUPIDLY REPLACED THE OLDER VERSION BY OFFERING THEM A COPY OF THE PREVIOUS VERSION UNTIL THE NEW ONE IS FIXED!!!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!

#35 Tim Cole

Tim Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

I updated my Roots Magic program yesterday (Dec. 16th, 2010) to ver. 4.0.9.8. Today, I started entering some newly found birth, marriage, and death information (a buncha records) only to find that the changes to previously entered info are not being saved. I found that if I click on "save" for each edited line, it appears to save it, but from what I'm reading, I can't count on that either.
I've used this since it was Family Origins, many years, now, and I've always boasted about it to my researcher friends. Now, I can't!
How soon will this be fixed?
No Christmas for your programmers until...!

#36 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

I updated my Roots Magic program yesterday (Dec. 16th, 2010) to ver. 4.0.9.8. Today, I started entering some newly found birth, marriage, and death information (a buncha records) only to find that the changes to previously entered info are not being saved. I found that if I click on "save" for each edited line, it appears to save it, but from what I'm reading, I can't count on that either.
I've used this since it was Family Origins, many years, now, and I've always boasted about it to my researcher friends. Now, I can't!
How soon will this be fixed?
No Christmas for your programmers until...!

It is fixed, download 4099 here - http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

Root

#37 Barry E

Barry E

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Another problem! The 'Record' number button doesn't work in the sequence File > Export > Select from list > Record. It just blinks and there is no response. How can so much be broken by so few etc etc??? Just about to raise a(nother) ticket!

#38 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Another problem! The 'Record' number button doesn't work in the sequence File > Export > Select from list > Record. It just blinks and there is no response. How can so much be broken by so few etc etc??? Just about to raise a(nother) ticket!

Hmmmm, can't comment on that one my latest update is 4.0.9.7, raise that ticket of you haven't done so already.

Root

#39 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

The customer never expected a product with errors and we always did thorough testing with test data provided by the customer,etc. We then did beta testing with the customer included and we purposely tried to break the product before putting it into production AND THE CUSTOMER HAD TO SIGN OFF ACCEPTING THE RESULTS.

Of course, the largest software systems we wrote in the 1960s were much less complex than RM4 and the mainframe (IBM 360s, 7044s & CDC Cyber) computers less powerful than the average desktop PC of today.

#40 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Why hasn't Microsoft bought up a genealogy software product in over 20 years of industry dominance and a pattern of such acquisitions? Because there's not enough money in it? Even the mighty giant peddles buggy product so how can we expect better from a cottage industry. Do users of FTM and Legacy go their happy ways without problems?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.