• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

Does anyone have the previous version from the one released yesterday that I could somehow get?

I ALWAYS install the new versions in a different library until I am sure they work. This, of all times, I did not do that. I can't edit anything without it dropping it. I was updating a record for which I only had a name, but I had recently obtained the death certificate. I entered the birth, death, burial and it dropped all but the last one. I then went back and entered the death date and place and thought that it took it. When I went to enter the birth date and place it dropped the death date place. Saved the record hoping I could get around it that way. Entered the death date info again and save it. Brought up the record and it had dropped some burial information that I had entered.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! Why doesn't RootsMagic put on its website that there are problems with the new release and to put off installing it until it is fixed AND IN ADDITION OFFERING A SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT HAD ALREADY STUPIDLY REPLACED THE OLDER VERSION BY OFFERING THEM A COPY OF THE PREVIOUS VERSION UNTIL THE NEW ONE IS FIXED!!!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

NOT HAPPY!!!!

You and me!

I'm beginning to think RM belongs back in beta!
Jack

a posteriori

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

If you hit the SAVE button before exiting, does that help?

See this thread: http://forums.rootsm...-one-break-one/
~ Debbie

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone have the previous version from the one released yesterday that I could somehow get?

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! Why doesn't RootsMagic put on its website that there are problems with the new release and to put off installing it until it is fixed AND IN ADDITION OFFERING A SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT HAD ALREADY STUPIDLY REPLACED THE OLDER VERSION BY OFFERING THEM A COPY OF THE PREVIOUS VERSION UNTIL THE NEW ONE IS FIXED!!!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!

I'm beginning to think RM belongs back in beta!

I have all the updates and can arrange for a download of 4097 if you need it. However I would very much hope that RM would have the previous version available for download later on their website or a fully fixed version.

There was not much in the update to excite me so I did not rush to install it. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the contents of the update as with some grasp of programming I know what can be achieved in 8 weeks. I also know that some problems can be a little perplexing and time consuming but I am coming to believe Rootsmagic is low on the priority list. I say that as we are approaching 2 years from RM4 release and we still have known problems within the program outstanding and waiting for fixes.

I have caused myself a lot of pain through unrealised problems in updates in the past so mainly use RM3 now and wait for the problems to be reported and fixed before updating RM4. Updates need to be available more often until all the bugs and gone and I wold suggest Renee and Kim using the new update excercising the new features for at least a week before public release. The other suggestion would be for Bruce to go back to his beta team and ask them to test the updates providing they are willing.

I can only hope that Bruce has another version in testing with the remaining problems ironed out and some of the much needed enhancements incorporated, and when I say enhancements I don't mean obviously missing features from the current functionality. <_<

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

If you hit the SAVE button before exiting, does that help?

See this thread: http://forums.rootsm...-one-break-one/

Yes! Hitting the "OK" button used to save. Now, you have to do both.
Jack

a posteriori

#6 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

The other suggestion would be for Bruce to go back to his beta team and ask them to test the updates providing they are willing.

I think WE have become the beta testers! :angry:
Jack

a posteriori

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

Yes! Hitting the "OK" button used to save. Now, you have to do both.

The autosave of Place which should bring up the suggestive list of Place Details was still outstanding in 4097, I wonder if Bruce has been trying to resolve that ?

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think WE have become the beta testers! :angry:

I don't mind being a beta tester as long as I know up front.... ;)

Root

#9 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

I don't mind being a beta tester as long as I know up front.... ;)

Sounds like there is a need for setting up a beta or user acceptance test of new releases that early adopters could download from and which would allow Bruce and others to post fixes to problems before the release was made generally available.

I have started the procedure of downloading the updates externally from the RootsMagic software so that I can save the download with a new name such as RM4Setup_4.0.9.8.exe so that I can reinstall RM4Setup_4.0.9.7.exe or any other previous version.

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

I have started the procedure of downloading the updates externally from the RootsMagic software so that I can save the download with a new name such as RM4Setup_4.0.9.8.exe so that I can reinstall RM4Setup_4.0.9.7.exe or any other previous version.

Been doing that since release and just renaming the setup file to incorporate the version number.

Before moving to any new version backup your data and put something like "last4097" in the filename, sometimes the data structure changes and is not backward compatible as far as I know.

Root

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Before moving to any new version backup your data and put something like "last4097" in the filename, sometimes the data structure changes and is not backward compatible as far as I know.

The database structure has been unchanged since we started looking at it almost a year ago on the SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic4 Wiki - that was at version 4071. There have been changes in the Source Templates data, distributed in the file RootsMagic.st. And most new versions of the software change any older version number stored in each database that it opens. If the software is older than the version number in the database, it refuses to open it. Occasionally, I have had to revert a database and have done so using a hex editor or a SQLite manager. Using the PSPad hex editor, I would search for all instances of the text value 4098 and edit to 4097. Usually, there is just the one. It is actually found in the ConfigTable when the file is opened by SQLite:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Root><Version>4098</Version><RootPerson>0</RootPerson>...
As long as the database structure is no different between the two versions, there should be little risk from downgrading. (YMMV!)

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Barry E

Barry E

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

I too have raised a support ticket on this subject and my patience has finally run out. The testing process for these updates is lamentable, well actually its the users. What are your recommendations for a replacement to RM4?

Barry E

#13 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

I too have raised a support ticket on this subject and my patience has finally run out. The testing process for these updates is lamentable, well actually its the users. What are your recommendations for a replacement to RM4?

Barry E

It is very tiring. Stuff works, then it doesn't work. We're all supposed to be patient. Meanwhile, I have data to enter. I do not have time to beta test updates. :angry:

I was thinking the same thing, about suggestions for a replacement. But who has time to learn a new program?! Just fix what's broken. Argh!

And I'm tired of coming to this forum to complain or submitting support tickets. This all takes too much of my time!!

Edited by mapleleaf, 16 December 2010 - 10:38 AM.

~ Debbie

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

And I'm tired of coming to this forum to complain or submitting support tickets. This all takes too much of my time!!

As I said before, I am not even using RM4 for my main data collection and don't update unless there is something I really want to see.

However this whole problem is easily resolved but would take focus and a concerted effort on the part of the Rootsmagician to bring this program finally to market bug free and with the obviously missing features finally incorporated.

I do have to say that it would appear that focus is not there with minor updates coming every 8 weeks or so. I believe users have been more than patient over the last two years and I don't think anyone could call us undeserving of the program and features that were well hyped in the lead up to Christmas 2008.

Root

#15 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hey, hey .... rest easy, folks. Renee will be along shortly to add all of these new problems to the enhancement tracking system.

#16 decann

decann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

I ALWAYS install the new versions in a different library until I am sure they work. This, of all times, I did not do that. I can't edit anything without it dropping it. I was updating a record for which I only had a name, but I had recently obtained the death certificate. I entered the birth, death, burial and it dropped all but the last one. I then went back and entered the death date and place and thought that it took it. When I went to enter the birth date and place it dropped the death date place. Saved the record hoping I could get around it that way. Entered the death date info again and save it. Brought up the record and it had dropped some burial information that I had entered.

NOT HAPPY!!!!

I have noticed this problem as well, and I join you in being unhappy about it. You can add this to all of the other broken features from RM3 that now do not work properly in RM4 after two years of being told they will be fixed. I continue to think RM4, love it as I do, was "rushed to market" way too early and instead should have spent more time fixing all these things that remain broken. Instead, they are spending the time working on new features for it and when done with the new features will STILL have "broken" software after all this time. That is my public vent, so now I will drop the subject but I hope the RootsMagician reads this.

Now then, in reply to your comment, I've noticed that if you reenter the information (often 4 or 5 times) it will eventually accept the changes, but something is obviously broken now with the current upgrade or it would not do that. You also have to notice it has happened too, or you will have missing data, but it does seem to work eventually if you are persistent enough. You just have to watch your data entry changes each time and always be aware of whether or not your most recent change "took" and do it again if it did not. Hopefully, Bruce will fix this eventually. . .along with all the other broken features dropped on us by RM4.

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

I think it is clear that the customer base is far from happy and personally it is sad to see my software choice of 10+ years building a reputation for problems rather than being the world class program it has the potential to be.

I think we should wait not to hear what comes from RM, personally I would like to see the post launch problems and omissions finally put to rest by end of January at latest, although even that is too late.

"Give a dog a bad name...."

Root

#18 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

The database structure has been unchanged since we started looking at it almost a year ago on the SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic4 Wiki - that was at version 4071. There have been changes in the Source Templates data, distributed in the file RootsMagic.st. And most new versions of the software change any older version number stored in each database that it opens. If the software is older than the version number in the database, it refuses to open it. Occasionally, I have had to revert a database and have done so using a hex editor or a SQLite manager. Using the PSPad hex editor, I would search for all instances of the text value 4098 and edit to 4097. Usually, there is just the one. It is actually found in the ConfigTable when the file is opened by SQLite:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Root><Version>4098</Version><RootPerson>0</RootPerson>...
As long as the database structure is no different between the two versions, there should be little risk from downgrading. (YMMV!)

I wouldn't do that. Just because the file structure hasn't changed doesn't mean there aren't changes to the database itself. If you just change that number back, it may have changes to the data that the previous version isn't ready for.
RootsMagician

#19 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:09 PM

We are trying to track down what has happened. We didn't make any changes to the edit screen, so we don't know what is happening. We will release an update as soon as we get this figured out.
RootsMagician

#20 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

We are trying to track down what has happened. We didn't make any changes to the edit screen, so we don't know what is happening. We will release an update as soon as we get this figured out.

User acceptance and regression testing is helpful in making sure that the application continues to behave in areas other than where changes are made. Good luck in finding the issues and posting a fix.