• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Hinson White

Jerry Hinson White

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

When I create a pedigree chart with photos, the images look terrible, like they are reduced resolution 8 color gif files. They look normal if I create a Photo tree so I think it has something to do with RMs Chart program. Is there any way to get around this. Also, is there any way to save a wall chart in PDF format?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Jerry, are you talking on-screen or on-paper images?

#3 anfo

anfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

Jerry, are you talking on-screen or on-paper images?

Same here RM 4.0.9.9 / RMChart 1.02 on Windows 7 64bit.

Images are looking good in RM, but not on on-screen (RM)Chart, also not when saved as JPEG.

I printed it using Scansoft PDF Create! (my default printer*) and the PDF looked good, so it should work on any printer, i guess.

On screen they look like color reduced to maybe 8 or 16 colors...

Andi

* When i tried to launch RMChart via Reports > Charts > Wall Chart without a default printer, it was not possible and it gave me an error (maybe crashed, don't know any more)

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

I was able to reproduce the low resolution photo's on a Descendant Wall Chart. If I saved as JPG or BMP it was saved in 8 or 16 color. Printing gave the same results. If I saved the wall chart as a PDF with my own software the photos came out perfect. I have submitted this as a bug in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 anfo

anfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

I was able to reproduce the low resolution photo's on a Descendant Wall Chart. If I saved as JPG or BMP it was saved in 8 or 16 color. Printing gave the same results. If I saved the wall chart as a PDF with my own software the photos came out perfect. I have submitted this as a bug in our tracking system.

Ok, Thx!

#6 FUYIKO

FUYIKO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

I bought RootsMagic 7 a couple of months ago and I am having this particular problem when I try to print the wall chart. Has anyone know if this has been resolved?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

No changes have been made to the RootsMagic Charting program.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 FUYIKO

FUYIKO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

No changes have been made to the RootsMagic Charting program.

Hi Renne,

You said that you saved the chart as a PDF with your own software and the photos came out perfect. Could you broaden this topic a little bit further, please? I am trying to send the family tree file I created with RootsMagic 7 to my family in Chile so they could do a nice printout at their local printer shop.  As you know, the photos look terrible if I save the charts with any of the options that RootsMagic 7 gives me when I am exporting the file.

Thanks!

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

We have a Knowledge Base article with instruction on how to create a PDF of a Wall Chart.  I was using CutePDF as my default printer.

http://support.roots...m-RM-using-WIN7

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 FUYIKO

FUYIKO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

We have a Knowledge Base article with instruction on how to create a PDF of a Wall Chart.  I was using CutePDF as my default printer.

Hi again Renee,

I forgot to mention that I am working with a MAC OS X Yosemite and it seems there is not a CutePDF for this machine. Any suggestions?

All I need is to do a good printout at a local printer!

Thanks for your help.

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hi again Renee,
I forgot to mention that I am working with a MAC OS X Yosemite and it seems there is not a CutePDF for this machine. Any suggestions?
All I need is to do a good printout at a local printer!
Thanks for your help.

How To Print to PDF on a MAC

https://www.youtube....h?v=8heYkWSqbt0

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:13 PM

RootsMagic needs to print to a PDF printer that it can access through the Windows Virtual Machine. Can CutePDF or equiv be installed on your Windows VM and will it show up as a printer?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 FUYIKO

FUYIKO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

How To Print to PDF on a MAC

https://www.youtube....h?v=8heYkWSqbt0

Thanks for your suggestion, I learned a new thing on that website!

The problem is when I export the wall chart with any of the choices shown by RootsMagic 7 (emf, bmp, jpg, pcx, png, tga) , the quality of the photos is terrible unless I print it directly from my computer. I need to take this file to a local printer to print it on a wide paper.

Unfortunately, it seems there is not a way to bypass this glitch. RootsMagic 7 does not give me the option to save or export my wall chart as a PDF file. I could save it as jpg, for instance, and then change to pdf, but the whole content of the chart is in low resolution.

I already made the mistake to send the file as a jpg to a local printer and the whole chart looks awful!

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

Here is the order of best quality formats

(.emf) - Enhanced Metafile
(,bmp) Windows bitmap
(.jpg) JPEG
(.pcx) Paintbrush
(.png) Portable Network Graphics
(.tga) Targa

jpg can be fuzzy, and bmp can be huge
Its best to save it as an emf (encapsulated meta file) if the printer can print that

I have another note that png and bmp are the same quality. So I'm not sure why its order is lower on the list.

Renee
RootsMagic