• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 roy c

roy c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

When adding a multi media item you can select from your gallery - is there anyway of seeing/creating sub-folders from your gallery as I do not want to lump everything in one huge location.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

When adding a multi media item you can select from your gallery - is there anyway of seeing/creating sub-folders from your gallery as I do not want to lump everything in one huge location.

Not at present, the cirrent Media Gallery is new to RM4 and there have been a lot of wishes for further development. Once media collections grom it becomes increasingly difficult to locate existing entries leaving the temptation just to add the media rather than try to locate it. This then brings the problem of duplicate thumbnails and the current build of RM has no way to reconcile these other that gedcom export and import.

Read my media gallery critical look here http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html and if you have other wishes or ideas then post them on the wish list.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

The Media gallery is not a location, it is only a list of items that you have used someplace in the database.
If you want, you can ignore it completely, and add all the media items from disk.
The only disadvantage is that any item you use more than one place will show up in the gallery once for each time you select it from the disk.
But since you are ignoring it, you won't even notice that. (It will make the database a bit larger though, since the listing has some duplicates in it.)
Alfred

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

While you are in RootsMagic, anytime you open a dialog box that allows you to browse your computer's file system ...you can merely right click your mouse on a blank portion of the file system window and choose -> NEW -> FOLDER to create a subfolder(s) within the folder you are currently browsing.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:52 AM

While you are in RootsMagic, anytime you open a dialog box that allows you to browse your computer's file system ...you can merely right click your mouse on a blank portion of the file system window and choose -> NEW -> FOLDER to create a subfolder(s) within the folder you are currently browsing.

roy c would have to confirm if when he referred to "one huge location" he was referring to the hard drive or RM Media Gallery, I believe it may have been the later.

As media collections grow there are two inherent problems with the media gallery as it is:-

1. Finding an existing item to add.
2. Just adding again as you can't easily find the item and causing duplication.

What we need here are ideas on how to lessen those problems and restrict (filter) the items displayed in Media Gallery to aid finding an existing item. Also since the Media Gallery is file only and not Caption we need RM to automatically merge identical links.

Restricting items could easily be done through a drop down and file type selection but if someone had only .jpf files that would not be of much help. :(

It would also be possible to restrict the displayed items by the type of event they were attached to, birth, census, person etc. although any one file might be linked to different fact types on different individuals so again not perfect. :(

Going back to the original post I don't see why RM cannot restrict displayed items by HDD location as this information is essentially learned as media links grow so automatically suits each users habits. In my case where I have My Docs\genealogy\eagleson\births and have already added at least one item then RM knows the location. I should be able to select My Docs, Genealogy, Eagleson or Births within that path with the option to include sub folders and display only those existing items in Media Gallery.

I also have a wish out there for the reverse option to display files within such a folder selection which are currently unknown to RM, in other words unlinked. This would be a great help to users wanting to work towards making their media links complete.

With Media Gallery open moving to at least the first letter of the filename would also be useful for those who employ a file naming convention, my media file names for personal items always start with the surname, others would have different systems.

This suggests RM learning folder locations from any already linked media but it could also be simply taken from the Program Option > Folders.

These are only my thoughts for improvement, I look forward to the ideas of others and I'm sure Bruce does also. ;)

Edit - The reason I quoted kbens0n was that the folder selection option within Media Gallery would effectively encourage users to have a defined folder structure on their HD's and better organisation, if I had all my media in one folder I would get nowhere.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 roy c

roy c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

roy c would have to confirm if when he referred to "one huge location" he was referring to the hard drive or RM Media Gallery, I believe it may have been the later.

Yep, you are right, I was referring to the RM Media Gallery. I already have the location on my hard drive organised into sub folders.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Yep, you are right, I was referring to the RM Media Gallery. I already have the location on my hard drive organised into sub folders.

I thought so, so would the options to filter by selecting folders and sub folders from Media Gallery work for you? and what is your opinion on Media Gallery having the option to show files which are currently unknown to RM (unlinked)?

Root

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Since the gallery is organized alphabetically by file name, maybe each addition from disk should check to see it this is a duplicate of something already entered. Then if the file name and location are the same, add another "where used" to the existing entry rather than duplicating the listing.
Alfred

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8480 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Since the gallery is organized alphabetically by file name, maybe each addition from disk should check to see it this is a duplicate of something already entered. Then if the file name and location are the same, add another "where used" to the existing entry rather than duplicating the listing.

Confirming your suggestion has been added to the media gallery enhancement requests in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic