• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pacer

pacer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

Has anyone discovered a method to use relative path to quickly join data and pictures that have been moved or copied?
I have always used relative path in PAF which by putting all the media in a subfolder of the folder holding the database, allows easy movement
of the entire folder to a different drive or computer without losing the picture path hook-up. When copying a PAF database and media folder to a new folder to use in
RM4.0.9.7 it is possible to fix the media path in RM-4 by using the gallery and search to repath the entire media folder.
The problem is that RM-4 seems to use an absolute path when a GEDCOM file is imported into PAF and later to RM-4 or the GEDCOM file is imported directly into RM4, when the original database gedcom came from a MAC computer. MAC computers us a forward slash (/)in their file paths, which RM-4 is looking for and can't find on a windows computer.
It is possible to relink the pictures one at a time using tools-fix broken links but it does them one at a time or one individual at a time by searching the entire computer including the operating system, which is a terrible waste of time if dozens of pictures are involved.
Ron

Thanks to "Vyger" below. His solution did work on the MAC generated GEDCOM with the forward (/) path "Unix" structure.
It took about 35 minutes for the search by RM4 since it did search every file and folder on the pc. It would have gone through that same time consuming search over and over if the search was initiated from individuals rather than List>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix Broken Links.
I might add that it is necessary to close out the tree file and reopen it, after the relinking bar completes, before the images actually appear as thumbnails for their respective person.
I had combined copies of my media folder and a copy of the one from the MAC user cousin into one media folder. By doing that I hope to be able to drag-and-drop individuals between the 2 databases that now share a common media folder and have the paths remain correct.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Ron

#2 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

I don't have an answer but I wonder if it could be accomplished by using system variables?

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

It is possible to relink the pictures one at a time using tools-fix broken links but it does them one at a time or one individual at a time by searching the entire computer including the operating system, which is a terrible waste of time if dozens of pictures are involved.
Ron

Lists > Media Gallery > Tools > Fix broken media links will do the complete gallery so long as the files themselves have not been renamed.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

The answer is that RM4 does not fully support relative paths. I have tried using them in the Tools > Program Options > Folder settings with some success but it is unreliable. I have done global Search & Replace on Multimedia Filenames to change from absolute to relative but the program changes each one back to absolute when the media item is opened.

When you move a bunch using the Operating System or import a GEDCOM, Search & Replace can be the speediest tool to correct the paths.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

I don't have an answer but I wonder if it could be accomplished by using system variables?

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have been looking at various Windows possibilities such as mapped drives. For example, Windows Explorer supports such things as mapping a shared network folder to a virtual drive letter. For example, a shared network folder could be mapped to a virtual Z: drive, and then in concept you could tell RM4 that your images are on your Z: drive.

However, my images are not in a shared network folder. Rather, they are all in a particular folder on my C: drive, and Windows Explorer doesn't seem to support mapping a local folder to a virtual drive. For years I have been syncing that particular folder between three machines. Because of the lack of relative path support in RM, I have worked very hard to make sure that the absolute file path of that particular folder was always exactly the same on all three machines. However, that is becoming more difficult because I now have a mixture of Windows 7 and Windows/XP machines, and Windows 7 manages folders a bit differently than Windows/XP.

There is a primitive Windows command line facility called SUBST that will map a local folder (not just a shared network folder) to a drive letter such as Z: I'm thinking about trying the SUBST facility to see if it will really work for my application, but I don't know just yet.

Another joker in this deck is RootsMagic To Go. All my images are already synced with my USB flash drive that already contains RootsMagic To Go with the same basic folder structure. Even though RootsMagic To Go doesn't officially support links to images, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work provided I could persuade RootsMagic To Go to point reliably to the correct folder on my USB flash drive.

As I said, I may play around a little bit with the Windows SUBST facility. And there are also some free and some cheap Windows add on programs that do the same sort of thing as SUBST. But a reliable and robust support of relative paths by RM4 itself would be the optimal solution.

Jerry

#6 pacer

pacer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Lists > Media Gallery > Tools > Fix broken media links will do the complete gallery so long as the files themselves have not been renamed.

Thanks for your answer. It worked great. See the added comments above that I added to my original message.
Ron

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have been looking at various Windows possibilities such as mapped drives.

A system variable is something like %USERNAME%. The system holds various values in these variables, such as the user name, system drive letter, temporary folder path, etc. You can also set "environment variables" in the "My Computer", "Properties" tab. Some programs use these variables to determine file paths and starting parameters. I was just thinking you might be able to use these variables rather than setting a hard path in RM4. I have not tried it, just thinking it might be possible.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

The answer is that RM4 does not fully support relative paths. I have tried using them in the Tools > Program Options > Folder settings with some success but it is unreliable. I have done global Search & Replace on Multimedia Filenames to change from absolute to relative but the program changes each one back to absolute when the media item is opened.

When you move a bunch using the Operating System or import a GEDCOM, Search & Replace can be the speediest tool to correct the paths.

Confirming that there is an enhancement request in our tracking system to allow using relative paths in RM.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 sukothai

sukothai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Confirming that there is an enhancement request in our tracking system to allow using relative paths in RM.

I have confirmed the "subst" drive letter suggestion works around this issue, but the system variable suggestion does not work. While the "subst" work around is better than nothing, it is a bit clumsy and you have to reset it for each location. What we really need is proper relative path support in RM and I joined so I can log my vote for this feature.

Thanks,
- Ben

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have confirmed the "subst" drive letter suggestion works around this issue, but the system variable suggestion does not work. While the "subst" work around is better than nothing, it is a bit clumsy and you have to reset it for each location. What we really need is proper relative path support in RM and I joined so I can log my vote for this feature.

Thanks,
- Ben

Agreed and welcome to the forum Ben.

Do stick around and share your views on other features from time to time, the more ideas the better.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root