• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oregonnative

oregonnative

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

I know I can add a husband and wife's census records as a family, but is there a way I can add all or some of their children at the same time or do I have to add one at a time?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1694 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

I know I can add a husband and wife's census records as a family, but is there a way I can add all or some of their children at the same time or do I have to add one at a time?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

I have been adding them one by one, because of the documentation. Some people are using the shared fact to add to family in the census. For me this does not work right in the report that I use. The Source detail appears in the Footnote [short] and this needs to be information for the individual. Others do this differently.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

You can use the family census fact for the parents, plus share the fact with everyone else in the house. This has advantages and disadvantages.
1. It's really great to keep everyone in the household all together to show that they were all under the same roof.
2. OTOH, when you export your data to another program or website (e.g. Ancestry.com) via GEDCOM, it will not understand the shared fact and discard the fact for those to whom it was shared.

You can enter a census fact for every individual. This has advantages and disadvantages:
1. It's tedious.
2. You don't retain the family group.
3. OTOH, every other genealogy program and website will understand and import that fact.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

Another option would be to add the Census fact to one individual (head-of-household, for example) and share that fact with the other members of the family. Advantages and disadvantages are similar to those listed in previous posts within this thread.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Another option would be to add the Census fact to one individual (head-of-household, for example) and share that fact with the other members of the family. Advantages and disadvantages are similar to those listed in previous posts within this thread.

There are at least as many opinions about this than there are RM4 users. For example, I really don't like the way family census facts read in a narrative report. Rather, I add the census fact to each individual, and do not share the census fact at all. I may yet be persuaded to add the fact only to the head-of-household and then to share the fact with each individual in the household. But I'm not really there yet.

I do include a complete transcription of the entire census entry in the fact note for the head-of-household, and then I include a transcription of just the one line for each of the other individuals in their own census fact notes. This provides a very convenient time line type of narrative for each individual in a narrative report. I'm hard pressed to see how sharing the census fact from the head of household to the other family members improves upon this situation, but I could be wrong. So I continue to evaluate sharing the census fact. I also like the fact that doing it the way I'm doing it without sharing the census fact produces good results when my GEDCOM is exported to other programs, and especially when it's uploaded to www.rootsweb.com.

I'm beginning the process of including a link to the census image in the source citation for the census fact, and by including the link in the source citation it's possible to memorize and paste the same source citation for all the family members in the same census entry.

Jerry

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

I have gone over to using the Shared fact options for these things but there is no doubt the reporting limitations of Shared facts do not help make it understandable.

I hope that when the long awaited improvements to the reporting features come through we have a full set of options of how we wish to see Shared facts incorporated in the narratives or style of each type of report.

On the other hand - although the Shared facts have their uses and could be greatly improved - there is a lot to say for having the old request for a "Copy" option for an event to be implemented in a future release of RM; ie the ability to copy ALL the elements of an event (sources, multimedia, fact details) and paste it to multiple invividuals.

This would give the best of solutions to those who prefer individual facts at all times and those who want to reduce input effort by using shared facts.

MVS

#7 Ted Pack

Ted Pack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

I just upgraded from RM 3 to RM 4 hoping it would have a "Copy Fact" option. I read about "Shared facts" and see it is not going to work. If you have a nice typical family in the late 1800's - early 1900's, the "family Census" isn't going to work. Suppose

The couple in 1895
They have a child every 2 - 3 years until 1929
The girls get married and move out before they are 20

You are going to have a different family in the house with each census. I've been adding the census fact to each child who is in the house, one at a time. I second the request for the ability to copy a fact the way you can copy a source citation.

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:14 AM

Yes, you can add multiple people Click the "add multiple people" button to open the "Select People" window. You'll see a list of all the people in the database. Place a check mark into the box of each person you want to add.

Or, click "Mark group" and choose "Family of highlighted person"

There's more in the Roots Magic help files under "Sharing Events"

I use the share button for censuses and ship lists, and other events. I don't use many gedcoms, so am not worried that shared events won't export. It would be nice, however, if that did work.

You'll have to also learn about the "roles" to assign when sharing and how to make sentences read like you want. More about that is under "Adding Roles" in the help files. If you have the Roots Magic book, you can find info there as well.
~ Debbie

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

If you have a nice typical family in the late 1800's - early 1900's, the "family Census" isn't going to work. Suppose
.....snip.....
You are going to have a different family in the house with each census.

I think you are misunderstanding the "family" census fact. It's not a family group sheet census fact. It's a single fact for husband and wife, when they are under the same roof. You can add whoever lives with them (technically you could add anyone you like) as a "witness" or in any other role you care to define. For me, being lazy, I like the family and shared census facts because I don't have to reenter the source citation over and over.

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3514 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

I think you are misunderstanding the "family" census fact. It's not a family group sheet census fact.

This should shake the thinking up a bit ;) why do we keep thinking in terms of traditional data entry?.

RM4 introduced an Add Person screen which could be customized, my ultimate wish would be for the ability to create custom "blank" forms like census, birth registrations etc. and fill in the form sections. A macro could be set in each field as to what event the information is recorded into and one source could be applied to all information in one click.

This would be a bit like having a blank family group sheet where the user has defined the fields and been able to save the form for future use, but using it for data input rather than output.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8722 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

I have gone over to using the Shared fact options for these things but there is no doubt the reporting limitations of Shared facts do not help make it understandable.

I hope that when the long awaited improvements to the reporting features come through we have a full set of options of how we wish to see Shared facts incorporated in the narratives or style of each type of report.

On the other hand - although the Shared facts have their uses and could be greatly improved - there is a lot to say for having the old request for a "Copy" option for an event to be implemented in a future release of RM; ie the ability to copy ALL the elements of an event (sources, multimedia, fact details) and paste it to multiple invividuals.

This would give the best of solutions to those who prefer individual facts at all times and those who want to reduce input effort by using shared facts.

MVS

Confirming these enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8722 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

This should shake the thinking up a bit ;) why do we keep thinking in terms of traditional data entry?.

RM4 introduced an Add Person screen which could be customized, my ultimate wish would be for the ability to create custom "blank" forms like census, birth registrations etc. and fill in the form sections. A macro could be set in each field as to what event the information is recorded into and one source could be applied to all information in one click.

This would be a bit like having a blank family group sheet where the user has defined the fields and been able to save the form for future use, but using it for data input rather than output.

Sorta like having Clooz built into RM? Though I've never used Clooz.
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 oregonnative

oregonnative

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the help....