8 replies to this topic

#1 dandie

dandie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

For the last few weeks, I have been getting an error message whenever I try to close RootsMagic. I can either choose to backup or to skip backup.....that works fine. But, instead of closing the program, I get the following message:

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:
Cannot create file "C:\Users\grammy\AppData\Roaming|...and the rest is not displayed.
Please tell RootsMagic about this problem
We have created an error report that you can send to us via
the Internet. This report will help us locate and fix the
problem and will improve the quality of RootsMagic.
Send Error Rport Don't Send

It makes no difference whether I click Don't Send or Send, this message keeps coming back....I cannot get rid of it and the only way I can close the program is to Control Alt Delete! I've been using RM since it first came out and have never had any problem like this before......have no idea what's wrong (and I am not a computer expert, by any means).

Can someone help?
Barbara

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

I sporadically see the same message. The full message can be found in the rootsmagic.elf file in the same folder where the program is installed. That file is what is sent to RootsMagic support - they probably get so many that they are largely ignored. You can view the file by opening it with a text editor.

What's the cause? The program has lost track of where the database file is and can no longer open it or write to it. I find this happens occasionally and it seems to happen after I have been doing something like exporting a GEDCOM or saving a report or editing media - something that uses a different folder from the one containing the RM database file (.rmgc). It's a bug that I have been meaning to report. I roiginally thought it was because I was using relative paths in the Folder settings under Tools > Program Options.

If you are seeing this problem regularly, have a look at your Folder settings and confirm that you have them set to where you normally are keeping the different files. It may be that you are changing the path for your backup from what it defaults to and that could be throwing RM4 off. It shouldn't matter but it seems to. And the path you see for that error message in the .elf file may give you a clue as to what action might be changing the database path. If you report back, it may help track down the part of the program that needs attention.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

I should add that I have been able to restore the path/clear the message by opening the same database or another one in the same folder. Opens a second panel but then both can be closed. And I am not aware that there is any data loss - the database gets updated on miniscule changes so there is infinitesimal probability it is incomplete by the time you try to close the file or quit RootsMagic.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

That is where the INI file, or the Options you have set are stored, not normally where the database is located.

Try opening Windows Explorer or My Computer and going to "C:\Users\grammy\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\" and clicking on Properties, remove the checkmark from "Read Only" and see if that works. (you may have "Version 4" as a subfolder, of the above, if that's the case, remove the read only from that one for sure.)
Alfred

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

http://social.techne...29-0c230078ad32

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

Dandie, I would agree with Alfred and kbens0n on their interpretation of your problem. The path in the error message is the clue. The problem I have observed is different and the workaround I use will not work in your case.

#7 1fuzzyone

1fuzzyone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

After clicking on the NFS tree I get an error message form "family search error" window, it says "Unable to read information about a person.
Next line says "Person Detail not found for person fs-ft.p. KFW1-Yf2. Any thoughts on what to do?

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

fuzzy, you might want to repost the question in the FamilySearch subforum within the RootsMagic 4 board so that it doesn't get buried here in this thread and can more easily be found and/or answered by nFS users coming across it then or trying to find it later.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

After clicking on the NFS tree I get an error message form "family search error" window, it says "Unable to read information about a person.
Next line says "Person Detail not found for person fs-ft.p. KFW1-Yf2. Any thoughts on what to do?

http://support.roots...r-personid.aspx

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N