4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

Recently I mentioned Gedcom creation on another thread and have received 3 emails as a result. Collecting and formatting information in a spreadsheet from web sources is relatively easy and understanding a little about gedcom structure and the Visual Basic language allows you to create an RM4 compatible gedcom file from compiled spreadsheet information saving hours of typing. Visual Basic or rather VBA is available within MS Excel by pressing the Alt+F11 so learning and writing Macros is easy to learn and can be very beneficial.

I recently converted 10K marriages from spreadsheet to gedcom and applied a Source and Citation to each marriage and also Place Details geocoding information from the Google Maps “Whats Here” lookup format (39.3207,-98.715822) which were copied and pasted directly into the spreadsheet.

I have simplified the code as much as possible into a very small step by step format to make it easier to understand and learn and also commented it to provide more help and understanding. Visual Basic is relatively easy to understand and lots of online sources and forums are also available for support.

If anyone wants the workbook with a reduced number of marriages complete with the commented code then please send me your email address. If you have an interest in this area it should be a useful learning tool and maybe also save you many hours of data input. Please note you will need MS Excel to run the code, I have it saved as a ’97 workbook for more backwards compatibility.

BTW, it's FREE, if it helps someone else learn then thats good enough for me. B)

Edit :- Oh, I should have said that there is no risk to your existing data through doing this as you are creating new gedcom data, you can open it in a new file and examine the results. Better to leave altering your own existing data until you get to grips with Visual Basic a bit more. ;)

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

For those who have asked for copies of the workbooks they should all go tonight. The zip file will contain two workbooks one from marriages, hence family links and the other from migration information and a simple instruction sheet.

Together the workbook macros should give a pretty good insight into what can be achieved and encourage further learning.

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#3 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

You obviously put some work into this worksheet! Thank you vygar!!

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

With a lot of requests and me falling behind with fulfilling the replies I have decided to post the examples on my web site on the link below.

The first file is very basic and well commented with no family links but does include a free form source.

The second is a marriage compilation with of course family links, Place Details, geocoding and a free form source.

The third is a full ~7500 individual file from the 1901 Census of Ireland which fulfils most of the current RM features.

• Sorts to build families from existing information with over 90% accuracy.
  • Place Details.
  • Source Template insertion.
  • Family Links.
  • Shared Role build for census fact.
  • Anticipated Media File attachment to my file naming standard.
The link where you can download all three files is http://www.vyger.co....-to-gedcom.html and if you develop any other worksheets for popular web sourced information then please do share them.

I have still to look at the improvements to Role sentencing introduced in RM 4.1 so like many things it is still a work in progress.