9 replies to this topic

#1 PEBlood

PEBlood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

There is an existing report called "statistics list." Among its features, this report gives you:
* Minimum age at marriage (female and male)
* Maximum age at marriage (female and male)
* Maximum number of children (female and male)
* Maximum age at death (female and male)

Well that's nice. In my 10,000-person database I have a "woman" that married at 10, a man who married at 79, and a mother of 18, among other statistics. Very nice, but it begs the question: who???? There is no way to identify these people. The "statistics report" should also provide the IDs associated with the mins and maxes it generates. I'm not talking about an error report. I might be able to use that to identify there folks but once you confirm the statistic and accept it, they will not be flagged again. I want an easy way to identify these "record breakers" within my database. I am running 2.0. Does 4.0 do it?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

You could perhaps create a custom report and export the text file to a spreadsheet program, where the data could be parsed. I imagine that you could then take differences between the marriage/death/etc. date and birth dates to determine age and then sort the results by that column.

"Father name" and "Mother name" are available fields within Custom Reports, so it may be possible to create a pivot table (Excel terminology) to achieve what you want, as Record number seems to be output within those two fields.

I no longer have RM2 available, so don't know if the same applies to that version.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

The "statistics report" should also provide the IDs associated with the mins and maxes it generates. I'm not talking about an error report. I might be able to use that to identify there folks but once you confirm the statistic and accept it, they will not be flagged again. I want an easy way to identify these "record breakers" within my database. I am running 2.0. Does 4.0 do it?

Not a report I use a lot but I agree with your wish and it should not be to hard to impliment.

The statistics report is almost identicle between V3 and V4 and V4 does not do what you wish so I would imagine this report has remained pretty unchanged.

I have a wish out there for the FTM type "drill down" functionality in reports where you can double click the report item and move to Edit Person, this would work well in this case.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

I doubt that any software will provide 'canned' reports that answer every question that can possibly be asked of a database. That's why I have asked/wished for a custom query writer/gateway to be incorporated. Some of us have developed custom queries on the RM4 database outside the application (see the link in my signature) and I am confident that others could be developed to answer your questions.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

In my 10,000-person database I have a "woman" that married at 10, a man who married at 79, and a mother of 18, among other statistics. Very nice, but it begs the question: who???? There is no way to identify these people. The "statistics report" should also provide the IDs associated with the mins and maxes it generates.

I was about to answer that some of the information might better be located through RM Explorer. For example, you can search for an event based on a person's age. However, just searched for "Marriage Age Equals 12", expecting to find my great grandmother who is famous in the family for getting married at the age of 12. But the search found woman who was first married at age 22, a woman for whom I have no birth date recorded, a man who was first married age age 28, etc. So searching by age doesn't appear to work correctly.

But putting that problem aside, there are long standing wish list items that I posted to be able to search based on number of parents, number of children, etc. If searching for age worked correctly, and if some of these other things were added to the the Find dialog, it would give you much of what you want.

Jerry

P.S. I just did some searches for "Death Age Greater Than 90", and the searches seem to have worked correctly. Maybe it's only the marriage age searches that do not work correctly.

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Jerry, thanks for that information -- I'd completely forgotten that Age had been added as a searchable field in RM Explorer in RM4.

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Tom, your post reminded me that I'd previously made a similar request. See here:

http://forums.rootsm...dpost__p__37505

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

I was about to answer that some of the information might better be located through RM Explorer. For example, you can search for an event based on a person's age. However, just searched for "Marriage Age Equals 12", expecting to find my great grandmother who is famous in the family for getting married at the age of 12. But the search found woman who was first married at age 22, a woman for whom I have no birth date recorded, a man who was first married age age 28, etc. So searching by age doesn't appear to work correctly.

But putting that problem aside, there are long standing wish list items that I posted to be able to search based on number of parents, number of children, etc. If searching for age worked correctly, and if some of these other things were added to the the Find dialog, it would give you much of what you want.

Jerry

P.S. I just did some searches for "Death Age Greater Than 90", and the searches seem to have worked correctly. Maybe it's only the marriage age searches that do not work correctly.

Confirming that I was able to reproduce the error with the marriage age search. This has been added to our tracking system for resolution.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

Confirming enhancement requests have been added to our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

You can run the Problem Report (Tools > Problem Search > Problem List) and choose just the option for marriage age. Pick a lower boundary as desired and you will get everyone married under that age.
RootsMagician