4 replies to this topic

#1 PEBlood

PEBlood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

It would be nice to get a report on given name frequency the same way that you can examine surname frequency. Of course, I am still using RootsMagic 2.0. Has this feature been added?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:26 AM

In RM4, no, there's no Given Name Statistics List. You could produce a custom report in text file format, import the file into a spreadsheet program, parse the contents there, and use the pivot table functionality (or equivalent in applications other than Excel) to produce a count by "Given name(s)".

I no longer have access to RM2, so don't know if this same information applies to that version.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8788 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

It would be nice to get a report on given name frequency the same way that you can examine surname frequency. Of course, I am still using RootsMagic 2.0. Has this feature been added?

Confirming this wish list item has been added to our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 PEBlood

PEBlood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

I tried to take you up on your suggestion to use Excel to count given names. I exported a single column of 2000 names to Excel, unsorted. I am unclear how to count names despite feeling comfortable with Excel. I watched a video on Pivot Tables and read an article but it didn't work for me. Maybe because my table is so simple, having only one column? Any suggestions would be helpful. If I can learn to count given names than I could apply it to other situations.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

PEB, in Excel 2007, highlight the cells containing the Given name(s) (including column label), click on Insert in the Menu Bar, then on the PivotTable toolbar icon. Appropriate Table/Range should be represented, and "New Worksheet" indicated. I'm choosing to accept that second setting, but you can change it if you prefer. Click OK.

In the PivotTable Field List that results, check the "Given name(s)" box. Click and drag that field label to "Values" and release. You should see the field listed in "Row Labels" and "Values", with the results to the left. Close the PivotTable Field List.

It's always a good idea to ensure that your Grand Total in the PivotTable in Sheet4 is consistent with the number of rows of raw data in Sheet1. Make sure to exclude the column label in that calculation.