7 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I've just done this and thought I'd pass it along. I got tired of always having to type in "Newcomb, Don..." to find myself when calculating my relationship with someone else. I added an alternate name of ",AAA" (no surname, first name "AAA") to my record and marked it private. Now, as soon as the search window opens, I'm at or near the top. Saves a bit of typing.

#2 NormanBrown

NormanBrown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

I've just done this and thought I'd pass it along. I got tired of always having to type in "Newcomb, Don..." to find myself when calculating my relationship with someone else. I added an alternate name of ",AAA" (no surname, first name "AAA") to my record and marked it private. Now, as soon as the search window opens, I'm at or near the top. Saves a bit of typing.

i have spent about an hour to incorporate this very handy tip but, for some reason, it does not seem to work for me.

Any guidance along these lines from anyone?

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Beats me. I just entered an alternate name fact. First Name = AAA, Surname = empty, marked record as private to keep it from exporting to anything. Oh! I forgot. You have to tell RM to display alternate names in the Index Sidebar. Did you do that? Click "Options" and select "Show alternate names".

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

i have spent about an hour to incorporate this very handy tip but, for some reason, it does not seem to work for me.

Works for me. I used "*ME" as the given name. In the INDEX Options, make sure you have Show Alternate Names checked else it won't show there. Alt names always show in RM Explorer with that little icon beside.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2613 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

This is a really neat tip, but it seems to me that it ought not to be necessary. There are two RM4 enhancements that could make it unnecessary.

• Within the Set Relationships dialog, there should be an option just to refresh the relationships relative to the current base person for Set Relationships, which usually is me. There is already a wish list item for this enhancement.
  • Within RM Explorer, CTL-Home should work to move to the current database root person in the database just like it does on any of the main View screens, and the current database root person also usually is me. There is not currently a wish list item for this enhancement, so I will add one. This enhancement would have utility for many, many RM Explorer functions besides just Set Relationship. Hence, I think that both of these enhancements should be implemented, not just one or just the other.

Jerry

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

You have to set the Explorer to show Alternate names.

A checkbox in the lower left corner.
Alfred

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Jerry, I'd previously posted on Ctrl+Home in the http://forums.rootsm...smagic-explorer thread (post #9). You may want to take a look there.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

This is a really neat tip, but it seems to me that it ought not to be necessary. There are two RM4 enhancements that could make it unnecessary.

• Within the Set Relationships dialog, there should be an option just to refresh the relationships relative to the current base person for Set Relationships, which usually is me. There is already a wish list item for this enhancement.
  • Within RM Explorer, CTL-Home should work to move to the current database root person in the database just like it does on any of the main View screens, and the current database root person also usually is me. There is not currently a wish list item for this enhancement, so I will add one. This enhancement would have utility for many, many RM Explorer functions besides just Set Relationship. Hence, I think that both of these enhancements should be implemented, not just one or just the other.

Jerry

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic