8 replies to this topic

#1 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Both in place list and peoples names the Nordic characters , and are sorted wrong. I thougt this was handled by Unicode, but is being treated as a, is sorted like o and (the last letter in the Norwegian alphabet) is sorted equal to a.

Should this be correct with Unicode, or is it something I have to live with?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

Both in place list and peoples names the Nordic characters , and are sorted wrong. I thougt this was handled by Unicode, but is being treated as a, is sorted like o and (the last letter in the Norwegian alphabet) is sorted equal to a.

Confirming that this issue with Nordic characters sorting has been reported and in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

There are issues with various non-English characters. See what happens in your website index if you have a name beginning with "".

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

There are issues with various non-English characters. See what happens in your website index if you have a name beginning with "".

I created a atherina ook in my test database and then generated a descendant website. The index appears to be sorting fine using the "". What type of website are you creating that you are seeing an issue with the "" character?
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

I created a atherina ook in my test database and then generated a descendant website. The index appears to be sorting fine using the "". What type of website are you creating that you are seeing an issue with the "" character?

What happens when you create an alphabetic book website with a bunch of "C" and "" names intermixed is that the surname index flips back and forth creating a new heading every time you change between the two. If you take a look at the C-index on my website you will se the effect when you have a number of these changes. IMHO, the "" should either be indexed as if it were "C" or as a separate letter but not this hybrid where it's in with "C" but throws out a new heading every time it's encountered.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

What happens when you create an alphabetic book website with a bunch of "C" and "" names intermixed is that the surname index flips back and forth creating a new heading every time you change between the two. If you take a look at the C-index on my website you will se the effect when you have a number of these changes. IMHO, the "" should either be indexed as if it were "C" or as a separate letter but not this hybrid where it's in with "C" but throws out a new heading every time it's encountered.

Great example. I was able to reproduce it. This has been added to our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 June

June

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

I am having the same problem with Scandinavian umlauts on RM4. I had no problem with them on RM3. I can't use Roots Magic Explorer to find names - and I have about 60,000 names that use umlauts - and more. I have reported this problem several months ago, and keep looking at all the updates to see if the problem is fixed.

June

#8 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Confirming that this issue with Nordic characters sorting has been reported and in our tracking system.

Thanks. That is promising.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

I am having the same problem with Scandinavian umlauts on RM4. I had no problem with them on RM3. I can't use Roots Magic Explorer to find names - and I have about 60,000 names that use umlauts - and more. I have reported this problem several months ago, and keep looking at all the updates to see if the problem is fixed.

June

I added your findings to our tracking system on this issue.
Renee
RootsMagic