• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 17and7

17and7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

I recently purchased the full version of RM4 and have been slowly loading my data into the program.

I have not been using the Place Details field - instead I have been using Place, entering up to 4 levels of data in the format Street, Town, City, Country. And I have entered geocodes for numerous Places, which I see have been entered correctly when I view via Lists, Place Lists from the menu. However, when I attempt to export my data to GEDCOM, the LATI and LONG tags do not export at all.

Interestingly, when I geocode to Place Details level, the LATI and LONG tags do export (to the ADDR tag) but this is not how I want to use the software.

Is this lack of export of Geocode Place tags data a bug, or has it been designed intentionally that way?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

They should be there, near the end of the GEDCOM file in their own area.
ie.
0 _PLAC ---- of KC and St.Louis, MO
1 MAP
2 LATI N38.2502806
2 LONG W92.5002806

Or you could import the GEDCOM file into a new RootsMagic database to prove that they were in the GEDCOM file.

It could be that some other programs won't understand the "0 _PLAC" tag
Alfred

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

Is this lack of export of Geocode Place tags data a bug, or has it been designed intentionally that way?

Alfred is correct, once you geocode a Place or add Notes or Media is become a "hard coded" place for want of a better word. In other words even it no events now use that Place the Place will still travel with the Gedcom, I think that brought about the new "Unused Places" option to help manage such.

It's your choice but I would encourage you to use the Place Details field rather than back up work for the future. Place Details will undoubtedly get further enhancement in the future and they do have lots of benefits in Mapping and Reporting even now. Read the links below on my site which I hope will help you make an informed decision (or maybe just confuse you even more :D )

http://www.vyger.co....ce-details.html

http://www.vyger.co....ic/mapping.html

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 17and7

17and7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Alfred - Thank you. I did not realise that they were 'non standard' tags, so were exported with a "_" prefix. I was also initially exporting to a GEDCOM that stripped out the RM specific extra details, so missed it there as well. Just wondering, is there anywhere where it says what these 'RM specific' items are?

And Vyger, I have not totally ruled out using Place Details, and after reading the links on your site, I think that there are some exciting possibilities for the future, but for now I'm just happpy taking a wait and see approach. It's a great read by the way and I like what you've done there.