• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 afsenior

afsenior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

Some time ago, there were posts on the Wish List that suggested changes be made to Narrative Reports and others, to list subsequent marriages of ancestors. I can no longer find them. It appears that there is a time or number limitation to the Wish List. It is VERY important, I believe, that the capability to show step parents, half siblings and so forth is added to the Reporting Function. FTM has the capability, RootsMagic does not. Is it planned for future releases? If so, any estimated dates? RM4 is a great program except for this serious limitation.
Thank you.
Art Burkett

EDIT: 21 Aug 09
I may be incorrect about FTM having the above mentioned capability on Ancestor Reports. If so, please accept my apologies. I do believe however that the ability to report subsequent wives and children is a very necessary and desirable feature.

Edited by afsenior, 21 August 2009 - 09:18 AM.

#2 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I put this on the Wish List for RM3, and agree this is important.
When Bruce gave us sneak peeks to the coming RM4, he also mentioned reports. Then I again commented that I missed this kind of report. I work with genealogy for a whole parish in Norway, and for a reliable overview it is important to have a report that give you all you have recorded for each person, if three wives and children in each marriage, or children out of wedlock - there ought to be a narrative report that can show this. I hope Bruce is working on it. That's how I understood him when he answered on the blog:

* Posted by Bruce Buzbee
* November 11, 2008

After my last article on the new report engine in RootsMagic 4, I noticed we were getting a lot of questions and comments regarding individual reports, mainly whether we have enhanced or added a particular report. Let me clarify a couple of things about RootsMagic 4 and reports.

As I have previously mentioned (and as you have seen from all the new features we have shown), RootsMagic 4 is a complete rewrite. Many, many hours have gone into its design and development. Beyond the enhancements in the report engine, it has also been in our plans to add new reports, and enhance existing reports. While you will see some of these enhancements in version 4, there are many new unfinished reports and enhancements that we are having to temporarily remove in order to get this version out. These new reports and options will be released in future updates. We would be happy to put them in before version 4, if you are willing to wait another 6 months for us to release this new version ;)

#3 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Some time ago, there were posts on the Wish List that suggested changes be made to Narrative Reports and others, to list subsequent marriages of ancestors. I can no longer find them. It appears that there is a time or number limitation to the Wish List. It is VERY important, I believe, that the capability to show step parents, half siblings and so forth is added to the Reporting Function. FTM has the capability, RootsMagic does not. Is it planned for future releases? If so, any estimated dates? RM4 is a great program except for this serious limitation.
Thank you.
Art Burkett

EDIT: 21 Aug 09
I may be incorrect about FTM having the above mentioned capability on Ancestor Reports. If so, please accept my apologies. I do believe however that the ability to report subsequent wives and children is a very necessary and desirable feature.

I have been requesting the same thing for sometime. I believe they are working on the type of report we both want. RootsMagic has really never had a report that you are discussing. The last update did add the spouses of children and facts about him or her to the descendent reports. However, a report that includes all wives, children, of ancestors or descendents is still not here. I also want step parents included as step parents. Currently, if they are listed they appear in the report as birth parents. In time I think it will be worked out. I think what we want is quite complex.
Fran

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

In addition to showing that data, I have also requested user defined sentence templates for each set of parent to child relationships. By this I mean that the birth parents would have one sentence, that a birth parent and an adoptive parent would have anohter sentence, that both adoptive parents would have another, etc. This would allow the user to be specific in the sentence and use the new "Customize sentence" feature to further define the desired introductory sentence for each kind of parent to child list.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#5 afsenior

afsenior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

Several months ago I, and others, expressed a desire for certain reports (especially Narrative Ancestor and Descendent Reports) to list second/etc. wives and children.
Has any progress been made? Is there a plan to add this capability soon? Maybe as an option?
Thanks,
Art

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

Here's that previous thread:

http://forums.rootsm...4-report-option

In the future, posting under the previous related thread to keep things together for people who are interested to more easily be able to follow along may be best. That previous thread will still sort to the top of the list when you post to it.

Confirmation is typically given that a wish list item was added to the tracking system. Whether or not that item will be/has been accepted for development and, if so, where in the process things might stand remains internal, so isn't generally made public (for competitive reasons, etc.). Renee may be able to expand further on the process, but that's how I believe she's explained it in the past. In effect, you make your argument for your specific wish-list request, hope that it's persuasive enough to be given higher prioritization relative to the others, and then try to remain patient. B)

#7 afsenior

afsenior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Several months ago I, and others, expressed a desire for certain reports (especially Narrative Ancestor and Descendent Reports) to list second/etc. wives and children.
Has any progress been made? Is there a plan to add this capability soon? Maybe as an option?
Thanks,
Art

#8 Pat1939

Pat1939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

FWIW
I, too, think the ability to include adoptive parents should be added. Perhaps as a check-box.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

The enhancement requests for reports have been added in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Here's that previous thread:

http://forums.rootsm...4-report-option

In the future, posting under the previous related thread to keep things together for people who are interested to more easily be able to follow along may be best. That previous thread will still sort to the top of the list when you post to it.

Confirmation is typically given that a wish list item was added to the tracking system. Whether or not that item will be/has been accepted for development and, if so, where in the process things might stand remains internal, so isn't generally made public (for competitive reasons, etc.). Renee may be able to expand further on the process, but that's how I believe she's explained it in the past. In effect, you make your argument for your specific wish-list request, hope that it's persuasive enough to be given higher prioritization relative to the others, and then try to remain patient. B)

Your right on Romer, that's how the process works!
Renee
RootsMagic