11 replies to this topic

#1 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

When I have individuals for which more than a handful of facts are known it is not that easy to pick out specific groups or types from the list shown in the Edit Person screen.

For example, if I want to run through the list to check that I have a Census record for each of the applicable years for the individual.

It would be great if there was a way (or a number of ways) of highlighting or filtering types of facts (on a quick, easy and temprorary basis). Ideas include:

i) a 'filter' selection box at the top of the Fact Type column (perhaps like we see in Excel for filtering types of data). this soulc be turned on and off quickly.

ii) colour coding of fact types (to be set in the general options dialog box), so we could select, if we wanted, specific background colours for specific types fo facts

iii) both of the above options.

MVS

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

Another possible option would be to have the option to click on "Facts" in the column heading and have the list sort alphabetically by Fact type, much like the way clicking on a column heading in the "People" View sorts by that column. There should be logic to have a secondary sort by date within each fact type, so all census would be arranged by date, all residence facts would be sorted by date, etc.

This method would require a way to return to the default "by date" sort, which would be accomplished by adding the same click function to the "Date" field.

If a "by date" sort was implemented, it would be nice if this sort also had a built-in (or user configurable) secondary sort to arrange facts that occurred on the same day in order, or for facts without dates. I would suggest the following order: birth, stillborn, baptism, christen, first communion, confirmation, bar mitzvah, bas mitzvah, engagement, marriage bann, marriage contract, marriage license, marriage, annulment, separation, divorce, marriage settlement, [any other facts, including user defined fact types], will, death, funeral, cremation, burial, probate. Ideally, this list should be user configurable, possibly in Tools, Database options, so the user could arrange the other built-in facts, as well as their own user-defined facts, in this sort list to create the order they would like them to appear.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

Yes - this would be a great idea. The full use of the grid function used to display the list of events:

1) selection

2) sorting

3) colour highlighting,

It would be a good thing if ALL the grids used in the various parts of RM had these functions; ideally implemented in a similar way to EXCEL - ie within the column headings and with an easy way to reset it to the RM4 default at any time.

regards, MVS

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8287 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

I am for any grid type data management so this gets my vote, I am also for conditional colour highlingting to aid indentifying problems and speedy correction of them.

Place Details and Places missing geocoding and Text dates were two easy options that sprung to mind, see my mock up of the People Screen below although the problem of one fact type per row remains.

It should be possible to have drop down arrows visible on any displayed fact where more than one instsnce exists and when clicked it expands to show all instances of that fact.

http://www.vyger.co....w-highlight.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

If we could resort the order of facts in the Edit person screen, I would definitely want a way to return to the default sort. And I would want the default sort to be restored when that Edit person screen was closed.

I use the Individual Summary report to find missing facts for an Individual. It gives me an uncomplicated overview of the person's record without having to filter out the extraneous formatting of the Edit person screen.

It's easy to pick out the census facts or other missing facts for that person, And the other facts can give me an idea of where to look for missing facts.

I check Individual facts, age at events, parents, spouses/children, ToDo items and sources.

If I need to add some ToDos, I print the report and open it side by side with RM. I can then open the Edit person screen and make ToDo's as needed using the information in the Individual summary report.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

If we could resort the order of facts in the Edit person screen, I would definitely want a way to return to the default sort. And I would want the default sort to be restored when that Edit person screen was closed.

I agree, any alterations to the sort should only remain active whilst the edit person window is open.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#8 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:03 AM

I think this should be a User option.

The reason is that if a user was looking at a spcific aspect of his data, say CENSUS, then he might be hopping from person to person on his/her database to review this specific segment of information.

If this involved opening a new Edit Person screen and then, for every person, having to set the necessary sorting and selection and highlighting parameters it would be extrmely cumbersome. I think the user in this case would want to set up the sort/select/highlight parameters and then be able to retain them from person to person - until they were no longer wanted and could be reset to the default.

Or, at the very least, with just ONE click of the mouse be able to reinstate them for each person. This could be achieved by a button on the Edit Person screen or by a hot key (Fnn).

regards, MVS

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

All this sounds pretty cumbersome and more time consuming than making an Individual report using whatever search criteria I want to narrow the people included in the report or mark the people I want to look at.

Using the Individual list report, I know exactly which people to work on or which people's Edit person screen to open to add a ToDo. Or if I need to work on adding a census for a specific year and/or place, I can make a Group.

I would rather have the ability to be able to choose to all facts, retaining the ability to include/exclude private facts, or specific facts to include in the Individual fact list.

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

I believe we are skirting around a key lack of functionality that exists within RM and could be overcome or at least much improved in a number of ways.

1. Dynamic Groups, long overdue now and could help with these data problems greatly.

2. The ability to jump to Edit directly from reports ala FTM more than 11 years ago.

3. More finding options like those that already exist in the Fact Type Print dialogue.

4. Reports opening in a separate window with a refresh button

IMO what is lacking and has always been lacking in FO/RM is a closed workflow loop that aids finding and correcting problems, lets hope it gets closed soon. <_<

Root

#11 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

TomH has, elsewhere, kindly extracted the list of fixes in the latest release. It is a very small list. So bug fixing seems to have at last been reduced to a manageable level.

I cannot help but think that RM5 must be under serious development and it is now a long time since Release 4.

Perhaps RM5 will have some of the features we have been asking for for ages.

I only hope (in vain I am sure) that the cost will be reasonable as much of what is on the wish list boards are really things that were promised, or only partially implemented, in RM4.

Perhaps it is time that the power of SQL was being used to give us facilities we need.

MVS

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

Renee did say sometime in the recent past that RM5 was some way off yet, hopefully she can confirm or correct this later.

Personally although I want development I would be disappointed to see RM5 being even talked about. That is because RM4 is still not but free and really the first two years of it's life have been quite painful for me and other users.

I would imagine that we might get to version 4.3.x with this release and by that time ALL the bugs will hopefully be gone and some of those promised features in place and mature.

In the perfect world a new version would be due with the revenue that would bring but RM4 being a complete re-write this was not tha case.

Root