• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Eric E

Eric E

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

The latest update to RM included "Pasting into RM notes now preserves bold, italics, and underlining". Is there anyway to turn this off? Many times I don't want to preserve formatting. Now I have to copy into an ASCCI editor then copy that to the note. Especially a problem when copying data from an Excel spreadsheet.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

You can remove Bold, Italics and Underlining from a note quite easily.
Highlight the part you want it removed from and click the toolbar button.
If you want to remove one of them from the entire note, highlight the entire note, [Ctrl]+[a], then click the appropriate toolbar button twice.

This is just another example of you CANNOT please all of the people all of the time. :lol:
Alfred

#3 Adronson

Adronson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:23 AM

I'll have to say that pasting into notes and source details is a big headache after the last couple of releases. The last fix helped the most obvious problem, but depending on the source I never know what the result is going to be and now have to do a detailed proof of the paste each time.

I just now realised that going from a source -> MSWord unformatted text -> to a paste into a place note in Roots Magic no longer works reliably. Something implemented with this wordwrap feature is running words together in what had previously been a foolproof method of pasting text. This is a big step backward for Roots Magic and makes extensive source documentation much more time consuming. The gains from wordwrapping are minor compared to the grand mess this has created.

#4 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

I'll have to say that pasting into notes and source details is a big headache after the last couple of releases. The last fix helped the most obvious problem, but depending on the source I never know what the result is going to be and now have to do a detailed proof of the paste each time.

I just now realised that going from a source -> MSWord unformatted text -> to a paste into a place note in Roots Magic no longer works reliably. Something implemented with this wordwrap feature is running words together in what had previously been a foolproof method of pasting text. This is a big step backward for Roots Magic and makes extensive source documentation much more time consuming. The gains from wordwrapping are minor compared to the grand mess this has created.

I agree with that - it's a grand mess! When I copy/paste something as simple as this into a Source Detail Text window:

1) Sun
2) Moon
3) Stars
4) River
5) Ocean

it ends up a jumbled mess like this:

1) Sun2) Moon3) Stars4) River5) Ocean

To get around that, I have to paste into Notepad first, copy from there, then paste into Source Details.

Who would purposely want a jumbled up mess in their source details? If I want the text to be all in one line (word wrapped), I would type as such. Why was the program changed so that hard returns are eliminated?

Is there a setting I can change so that I can turn off word-wrap in Source Details and everywhere else? If not, I'm wishing for that.

RM 4.0.9.6
~ Debbie

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

FWIW I like the cut and paste changes! One persons convenience is anothers inconvenience I suppose!
Jack

a posteriori

#6 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

FWIW I like the cut and paste changes! One persons convenience is anothers inconvenience I suppose!

But how do you deal with the jumbled mess?

Here's a longer example:
Familien-Register

Name: Blah blah blah
Getauft: 30 Dez. 1845 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873
Gestorben: 4. Sept. 1923 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 28 Dez. 1849 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873
Gestorben: 8 Juli 1926 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 18 Febr. 1874 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht: m. Blah blah blah
Verehelicht: 18.1.29 m. Blah blah blah
Gestorben: 9.7.46 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 16[?] Feb. 1877 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht: [blank]
Gestorben: 9. April 1881 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 21. April 1885 St. Mary Catholic Church
Gestorben: 10. Juli 1892 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 15. Mai 1881
Gestorben: 11.10.58 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Getauft: 19. Nov. 1888 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht: 10.11.13 [married to Blah blah blah]
Gestorben: 13.6.1964

Getauft: geb. 18.4.1879 St. Mary Catholic Church
Verehelicht:
Gestorben: gest. 23.5.1880 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Here's the mess:

Familien-Register
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 30 Dez. 1845 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873 Gestorben: 4. Sept. 1923Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 28 Dez. 1849 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873 Gestorben: 8 Juli 1926Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 18 Febr. 1874 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: m. Blah blah blah Verehelicht: 18.1.29 m.Blah blah blah Gestorben: 9.7.46 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 16[?] Feb. 1877 St. MaryCatholic Church Verehelicht: [blank] Gestorben: 9. April 1881Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 21. April 1885 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: [blank] Gestorben: 10. Juli 1892Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 15. Mai 1881 Verehelicht:[blank] Gestorben: 11.10.58 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 19. Nov. 1888 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 10.11.13 [married to Blah blahblah] Gestorben: 13.6.1964
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: geb. 18.4.1879 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: Gestorben: gest. 23.5.1880 Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
~ Debbie

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

I agree with that - it's a grand mess! When I copy/paste something as simple as this into a Source Detail Text window:

1) Sun
2) Moon
3) Stars
4) River
5) Ocean

it ends up a jumbled mess like this:

Actually, in the note, I get (do others?):

<CR> <LF>
<CR> <LF>

For some reason, it inserts double CRL/LF's (0D 0A 0D 0A) before the pasted text and -RECOGNIZES- them (moving the entire text passage downward) and yet -DOESN'T RECOGNIZE- the single CR/LF's (0D 0A) from the original copied text, that would normally place each numbered list item on it's own line.

IS:
0D 0A 0D 0A 31 29 20 53  75 6E 0D 0A 32 29 20 4D  ....1) Sun..2) M
6F 6F 6E 0D 0A 33 29 20  53 74 61 72 73 0D 0A 34  oon..3) Stars..4
29 20 52 69 76 65 72 0D  0A 35 29 20 4F 63 65 61  ) River..5) Ocea
6E                                                n

SHOULD BE:
31 29 20 53 75 6E 0D 0A  32 29 20 4D 6F 6F 6E 0D  1) Sun..2) Moon.
0A 33 29 20 53 74 61 72  73 0D 0A 34 29 20 52 69  .3) Stars..4) Ri
76 65 72 0D 0A 35 29 20  4F 63 65 61 6E           ver..5) Ocean

P.S. In the interim, one can download and use PureText or PlainPaste clipboard utilities to maintain the formatting:

PureText - http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/
PlainPaste - http://www.donationc...html#PlainPaste

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

P.S. In the interim, one can download and use PureText or PlainPaste clipboard utilities to maintain the formatting:

Looks like I'll be staying from source > notepad > end target.
PureText only lists through Windows Vista and I'm up to Windows 7.
PlainPaste doesn’t list any Windows that I can see.

So, the questions are:
1. Does PureText work with Win 7, but it's just not specified on their home page?
2. Does PlainPaste work with Win7?
3. Has anybody had some significant use with either program?

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#9 Adronson

Adronson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the tip on PureText. This helps a lot. Also I have tested it with Roots Magic on both a Windows XP machine and on a Windows 7, 64 bit machine and it works fine on both.

For me this looks like a solution, though I'd hope RM's cut and paste functionality could be restored.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

I was able to duplicate Mapleleaf's example, but not kbens0n's. I have still reported both issues, with the formatting of text, in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

I was able to duplicate Mapleleaf's example, but not kbens0n's. I have still reported both issues, with the formatting of text, in our tracking system.

Sorry to not give more detail. FOR ME (Latest version of Essentials - under Windows XP), copying Mapleleaf's short example from this forum and pasting to an RM individual note results in the following:

FROM

Internet Explorer 8 - immediately after pasting, there are two blank lines followed by the cascading text. Moving the cursor up to the beginning of each blank line using either the keyboard or mouse shows the vertical cursor at two different sizes (top line being larger). After saving, there are two blank lines preceding the previously-pasted text, which is now contiguous and no longer cascades like a list of items.

Firefox 3.67 - immediately after pasting, the cascading text looks just like a list of items. After saving, the previously-pasted text is now contiguous and no longer cascades like a list of items.

Safari 5 - immediately after pasting, the cascading text looks just like a list of items. After saving, the previously-pasted text is now contiguous and no longer cascades like a list of items.

Opera 10.60 - immediately after pasting, the cascading text looks just like a list of items. After saving, the previously-pasted text looks just like the original list of items with cascading text.

WORKS COMPLETELY when copied from Opera. All others lose the cascade. Internet Explorer also gains two preceding blank lines.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

kbens0n,

I added your findings in our tracking system to the word-wrap issue.
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

kbens0n,
Since you suggested PureText and PlainPaste, I'll mainly addess the question to you.

I have downloaded PureText and find it useful, but...
Although I've "cued" it for my task/startup bar, when I logon in the morning I get a popup box that says in part:
The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software? My choices are to either run or cancel. (It also said something about a digital signature.)
How do I have computer accept on startup? Do I put something in my "security panel"?

Thanks much,
Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

How do I have computer accept on startup? Do I put something in my "security panel"?

Hi Glenn! I must admit to running PlainPaste myself. I'm still using Windows XP and do not shutdown/reboot so I'm going just by a quick web search. Normally, when that warning dialog is shown, there is a checkbox near the bottom with text to the right that reads something like ‘Always ask before opening this file’. I believe it shows it checkmarked by default (meaning 'always ask') and what you would do to not see the warning is uncheck that option and then let it finish starting. From then on, I believe it doesn't ask/warn. However, if you are not seeing this option (sometimes happens when the file is being run from some other network resource):

Presumably, you can turn off all of these messages by doing as follows:
Open up Internet Explorer
Tools -> Internet Options
Click on Security tab
Click on <Custom level> button
Under “Launching applications and unsafe files” click Enable

Hope this gets you straight. :)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

But how do you deal with the jumbled mess?

Here's the mess:

Familien-Register
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 30 Dez. 1845 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873 Gestorben: 4. Sept. 1923Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 28 Dez. 1849 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 4 Februar 1873 Gestorben: 8 Juli 1926Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 18 Febr. 1874 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: m. Blah blah blah Verehelicht: 18.1.29 m.Blah blah blah Gestorben: 9.7.46 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 16[?] Feb. 1877 St. MaryCatholic Church Verehelicht: [blank] Gestorben: 9. April 1881Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 21. April 1885 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: [blank] Gestorben: 10. Juli 1892Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 15. Mai 1881 Verehelicht:[blank] Gestorben: 11.10.58 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: 19. Nov. 1888 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: 10.11.13 [married to Blah blahblah] Gestorben: 13.6.1964
Name: Blah blah blah Getauft: geb. 18.4.1879 St. Mary CatholicChurch Verehelicht: Gestorben: gest. 23.5.1880 Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania

If I recall my basic German courses from the 60's, this information looks more like it belongs in an edit person screen.

I try not to create notes of this type. I instead try to preserve the note area for prose.
Jack

a posteriori

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

If I recall my basic German courses from the 60's, this information looks more like it belongs in an edit person screen.

I think this is being used in the Detail Text of the Source Details for a Source cited for Baptism, Marriage and Death facts for some persons - to record 'the actual text from this specific use of the source', as intended by the program.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

I think this is being used in the Detail Text of the Source Details for a Source cited for Baptism, Marriage and Death facts for some persons - to record 'the actual text from this specific use of the source', as intended by the program.

Except for the names and places which were changed for this example, that is actual handwritten info from a Bible, which I copy/paste into a Source Detail Text window. I rarely use the Notes box.
~ Debbie

#18 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I eventually figured that out. :-) My original thought was fact notes.

Many of my source notes consist of items that come to me in columnar format that I wish to have in linear format. I spend some time deleting extra spaces and c/r to get that effect.

To my eye, columnar text just doesn't look very good when used as detail text in a foot/end note.

Actually, what I want RM Cut and Paste to do is maintain whatever format I have used in a note that I cut from one fact note/source and paste to another; e.g., bolding, italics, underline, etc. It did not do that in earlier versions but seems to do it now.
Jack

a posteriori

#19 Kelly C

Kelly C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

kbens0n,

I added your findings in our tracking system to the word-wrap issue.

Renee,

I am also having the problem with cutting and pasting from MS Word. The paste drops spaces, requiring a scan of the info to replace them.

Is there any update on a fix for this?

Kelly

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Renee,

I am also having the problem with cutting and pasting from MS Word. The paste drops spaces, requiring a scan of the info to replace them.

Is there any update on a fix for this?

Kelly

I have duplicated this issue and added it to our tracking system for resolution. No word on when the fix will be released.
Renee
RootsMagic