• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Darb

Darb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

RM4 has been out for almost a year and a half now. I have asked several times about text being hidden behind photos in the narrative reports, and photos located in the wrong place of the report. Each time they just say they are aware of the problem and are looking into it. I don't know how many of you are affected by this problem, but it seems to be a low priority. I have been using RM for years, and this has really disappointed me. What good is a program if you can't print a narrative report to share with family. A year and a half with no results is totally unacceptable. What do you other users think ?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

RM4 has been out for almost a year and a half now. I have asked several times about text being hidden behind photos in the narrative reports, and photos located in the wrong place of the report. Each time they just say they are aware of the problem and are looking into it. I don't know how many of you are affected by this problem, but it seems to be a low priority. I have been using RM for years, and this has really disappointed me. What good is a program if you can't print a narrative report to share with family. A year and a half with no results is totally unacceptable. What do you other users think ?

In the mean time, this Knowledge Base article should help you get around this issue.

http://support.roots...-in-report.aspx
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

How about when the photo overlaps the Footnote? I don't think the KB article would fix that.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

How about when the photo overlaps the Footnote? I don't think the KB article would fix that.

That issue we have not seen. If you have an example you could send of this happening, please submit a ticket. Include the report and backup file, note the page and person it is happening with, so it can be examined.

Submit a Ticket
http://support.roots...in/Default.aspx
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Darb

Darb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

In the mean time, this Knowledge Base article should help you get around this issue.

Renee, I have played around with the info in the knowledge base article. I have noticed where I think my problem lies. As others have done in the past with RM3, to make their reports look better, I added a carriage return at the end of Family Notes, so the the lines don't run together when printed. For example, for my grandfather, Henry McDonell, it gives his information, his personal notes and then family notes. In RM3 with the carriage return after the end of family notes, my grandmother, Edna Kirkham, starts on the next line with her photo along side, no problem. However, in RM4, the carriage return after the end of family notes, causes my grandmother's photo to cover her name on the following line. These extra carriage returns for notes in RM3 worked fine with photos, but in RM4, they cause the photo to cover the begining of the next line following the notes. If I remove the carriage return, the photo doesn't cover my grandmother's name, but her name comes immediately after the notes on the same line.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Interesting issue. Narrative Report in Publisher?

I have never had this happen. I always put the Narrative Report into MSWord. Maybe that is why I do not have it happening. Just thought I would add my 2 cents :)

Where are these servers at? I noticed my note said 12 am 12 Aug 2010 and it is 10:15 pm on 11 Aug 2010 on my PC and my watch.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

That issue we have not seen. If you have an example you could send of this happening, please submit a ticket. Include the report and backup file, note the page and person it is happening with, so it can be examined.

That may take a while - my computer just became unbootablePosted Image

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

That may take a while - my computer just became unbootablePosted Image

Computer issues :( , Current backup :D
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Renee, I have played around with the info in the knowledge base article. I have noticed where I think my problem lies. As others have done in the past with RM3, to make their reports look better, I added a carriage return at the end of Family Notes, so the the lines don't run together when printed. For example, for my grandfather, Henry McDonell, it gives his information, his personal notes and then family notes. In RM3 with the carriage return after the end of family notes, my grandmother, Edna Kirkham, starts on the next line with her photo along side, no problem. However, in RM4, the carriage return after the end of family notes, causes my grandmother's photo to cover her name on the following line. These extra carriage returns for notes in RM3 worked fine with photos, but in RM4, they cause the photo to cover the begining of the next line following the notes. If I remove the carriage return, the photo doesn't cover my grandmother's name, but her name comes immediately after the notes on the same line.

So to get the space between your grandmother's name and the family notes, without the photo covering her name, you would have to take out the carriage return at the end of the family note. Then edit the report afterwards by putting a carriage return back in. Not good. Instead of myself trying to reproduce this, to show the RootsMagician an example of the behavior, could you submit a ticket on this. Also include a PDF of your narrative report and a backup copy of your database. Note which person to look at.

Submit a Ticket
http://support.roots...in/Default.aspx
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Computer issues Posted Image , Current backup Posted Image

Mystery of mysteries. ntoskrnl.exe was missing because it was probably being written to System32 folder during the Windows Update process when the computer crashed. Neither Windows XP nor the Recovery console would work because both reported it missing. After much testing, I determined that I had one or two faulty DIMMs so out they went - now down to half the memory. That didn't solve the missing file, of course, but hopefully cures the underlying cause of my frequent crashes. Inherited this computer from someone but without the system disk (passes the Windows Genuine validity test, though). He brought me a system disk but booting from that it could not find any hard drives !@#!@!# Tried the Recovery console just now and it progressed further than before ???!!! (did ntoskrnl.exe somehow come back?) It got to asking me if I wanted to login to the Windows sytem at C:\Windows. Tried but my Admin p/w not recognised... Re-booted normally, and everything is back to normal! But I have not the foggiest idea what action I took that healed the operating system. Amazingly, it picked up the Windows Update process at #11 of 12 and finished uneventfully. I'm warily optimistic that years of odd crashes that became increasingly frequent could be behind me and that I have forestalled another computer purchase for a little longer.Posted Image

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

I just had the opposite experience in 4.099 to what the Knowledge Base article advises. I added a trailing CR in the Birth note to force a new paragraph for the following fact. The first line of the following fact shifted left behind the photo. I edited the note to remove the trailing CR - I cannot remember if it was still there but no change. The only way I could get the layout back was to delete the Birth fact and re-enter it with no trailing CR in the Note. I think the trailing CR was no longer displayed in the Notes Editor and so could not be deleted.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

I just had the opposite experience in 4.099 to what the Knowledge Base article advises. I added a trailing CR in the Birth note to force a new paragraph for the following fact. The first line of the following fact shifted left behind the photo. I edited the note to remove the trailing CR - I cannot remember if it was still there but no change. The only way I could get the layout back was to delete the Birth fact and re-enter it with no trailing CR in the Note. I think the trailing CR was no longer displayed in the Notes Editor and so could not be deleted.

Maybe I was tired when I encountered this but tonight I cannot replicate that the Notes Editor lost the CR. Nonetheless, the shifting of the next Fact's sentence to start behind the photo was 100% replicated on two different databases when the preceding Fact's Note ends with a CR. Examining the EventTable field with SQLite shows that each <Enter> in the Notes Editor produces x0D0A in hexadecimal code. x0A by itself has no effect; x0D is the CR and triggers both the line feed and the shift behind the photo.

I should have said that the report under test is the Narrative - Descendant - Modified Register.

Edited by TomH, 11 February 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

The following SQLite command strips trailing carriage returns from all Event Notes.

UPDATE OR IGNORE eventtable SET note = CAST(rtrim(Note, x'0D0A') AS blob);

This may be of some use to those wanting to clean up reports.

The complementary command would be to add one or more trailing carriage return to all Event notes, potentially useful when the RootsMagician and team sort out the quirk that puts the following text behind the photo.

Until RootsMagic supports user defined SQLite queries with its RMNOCASE collation, the above query can only be applied, using an outboard SQLite manager, to Notes for Event Facts, not to those for Persons or Families.

#14 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Are you having a nice correspondence with yourself Tom? :D

You got me curious so I did a bit of experimenting.

I do <<NOT>> notice it with fact notes,.
But, if I add a carriage return at the end of a general family note and it is not long enough to cover the entire area to the right of the picture, the first line, usually the birth line, of the spouse is started at the left margin and covered by the picture. Every time I tried it anyway.

======== EDITED ==========
I do NOT notice it with fact notes,.
I left the "not" out of this line to begin with.

Maybe I figured that I had enough knots in my head.
ANYWAY, the only place I have noticed it is with the "Note (Family)" when it has a carriage return after it.
Alfred

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Maybe I should start a blog... then everyone would not have to suffer so many of my posts!

Thanks for the observation about the Family Note - I'm unsurprised. The underlying routine must be common to the beginning of all new facts: Event, Person, Family.

My heightened interest came about as I was preparing a demo of RootsMagic for the local genealogical society and wanted to present a RM Publisher product. Needless to say, I opted for a dense long paragraph per person rather than lose the leading words behind the photo. It was a classic computer demo - everything worked right up to a few seconds into my first PowerPoint slide when the projector lost my feed. I could only get it back by re-booting and then it would fail all over again. So much for high tech! In contrast, the previous speaker showed a sampler made by a distant relative in 1828 when she was but 12 yrs old. Its pixel resolution was quite decent for being 183 years old, especially at some distance. He had no technical difficulties, whatsoever!

#16 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

IMHO: The narrative report feature needs/requires a LOT of attention. I experience the picture-covering-text/footnote problem. I also experience a mixture of fonts and font sizes in the narrative. A lot of work is required to make it presentable - and save me embarrassment - before I can send a narrative report to anyone in the family! It's rather tough to remember all of the C/R L/F nuances. The darn thing should be intuitive and produce a neat and consistent report every time!
Jack

a posteriori

#17 Bill O

Bill O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

I have been using Family Origins (The Beginning) thru RM 4, and the one and only thing that is currently creating the biggest pain in my backside is the word-wrap behind the photo's problem in the creation of the Narrative reports.

After all the work is done, after all the research, after all the sweat....etc....... the final issue for me is to create a final product that I can present to my extended family. This one issue, I feel, is the "show stopper" that detracts from the otherwise, most exceptional Genealogy research, data collection, and documentation program ever produced for this market. Why can't this issue be fixed? Come on... apply some "Boolean algorithm" and get it fixed.

Besides that, I am a proud follower of the Roots Magician, and a loyal user of this program.

Bill Overton
Lost Wages (Las Vegas), NV

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

The (erroneous?) article in the Knowledge Base is now here and is titled Sentence Fact being overprinted by person's photo in Report. I don't understand where I am supposed to place a CR/LF.

A. You will need to add a paragraph in order to keep the photo from overprinting the sentence below. A preferred method is to add a carriage return at the beginning of the fact before which you want to insert the new paragraph. This does not cause any spaces before the next paragraph. Note that inserting CRs anywhere within a note, except at the end does not cause the unwanted space at the beginning of the next paragraph.

#19 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I think it should read:

A. IfYou will need to add a paragraph, in order to keep the photo from overprinting the sentence below. A preferred method is to add a carriage return at the beginning of the fact before which you want to insert the new paragraph rather than at the end of the preceding note. This does not cause any spaces before the next paragraph. Note that inserting CRs anywhere within a note, except at the end does not cause the unwanted space at the beginning of the next paragraph.

Me thinks that my editing skills need some work - :unsure:

I don't know what is wrong, but I must not be using a scientific testing method because just now I tried adding this note to the birth fact of a bunch of people.
"Birth note with carriage return-
"
with the carriage return at the end.
The next fact started at the left margin behind the photo for everyone.

(I had only seen it with a family fact when I tried it the other day -- Maybe my eyes are as bad as my memory.)

But, removing that trailing carriage return from the notes fixed it.
BUT, finding those trailing carriage returns can be a momma dog.

BUT, dragging and dropping everyone to a new database (GEDCOM transfer) seems to get rid of ONE trailing carriage return per note.
ANYWAY, after I did the drag and drop only one note had a trailing carriage return, (that one happened to have two in the original database) One more drag and drop got rid of it too.
NOW, none of my pictures are overwriting any text.
Alfred

#20 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Ok, I think I have figured out the work-around.

Original:

Q. How do I prevent a fact sentence from being overprinted by the person's photo in a report?

A. You will need to add a paragraph in order to keep the photo from overprinting the sentence below. A preferred method is to add a carriage return at the beginning of the fact before which you want to insert the new paragraph. This does not cause any spaces before the next paragraph. Note that inserting CRs anywhere within a note, except at the end does not cause the unwanted space at the beginning of the next paragraph.

Revised:
A. This is due to a bug in RootsMagic in handling a trailing carriage return at the end of the note of the preceding fact. Multiple trailing carriage returns may be removed in the Notes Editor, one fact at a time, by placing the cursor immediately after the last visible character, Ctrl-Shift-End to select all remaining invisible characters, Delete. Drag and Drop Everyone in the database to a new database will strip one trailing carriage return from all facts; this, too, is a bug but, until either it or the trailing carriage return/hidden text bug is fixed, it's an unintended tool for stripping trailing CRs en masse.

If a new paragraph is desired at the start of each fact sentence in narrative reports, do not add carriage returns to the end of the fact notes as it will trigger the hidden text bug. Rather, revise the Fact Role sentence templates to have two carriage returns at the beginning (one extra is needed if you want a blank line between paragraphs). You will also likely have to add the :Caps modifier to the first field if it is the first printable item in the template. Unfortunately, if this first field is null, a non-null field immediately following may not automatically capitalize the way it normally would without the leading carriage returns. This trick does not work for web pages.

Enhancement Request:
Add a Paragraphing option for narrative reports that would give the user the option to have each fact start a new paragraph. And optionally, some paragraph style sub-options, e.g., indent, spacing between paragraphs. This enhancement would remove the need for the above, fiddly, workarounds.

Edited by TomH, 19 February 2011 - 10:27 PM.