http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=724

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

For me there is some real welcome fixes in this update, can't wait to get home and try it.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

For me there is some real welcome fixes in this update, can't wait to get home and try it.

Yep...esp. the fix broken media links!
Jack

a posteriori

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

Well I have now removed two pages from my web site and also removed some text on the issue of dropped links on Merge Issues page.

1. A problem with the problem list (birth dates now added)
2. Duplicate search merge slow (i will check this more over the next day or so)

Good one Bruce. :D

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#5 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I am confused by the fix that displays the Print Preview at 100%. This is how the program always displayed it as the default. The users were asking to have the program remember the last used view setting or add an option to select full page or page width as the default. At least I was. Any thoughts?
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#6 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

In case anyone is looking for the Unused Place List, it is only available through the Lists > Place list as a button on the Place List screen. It is not available in the Reports > Lists area.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I'm very pleased with the fix for retaining formatting when pasting into notes. I just now ran the test that was most important to me, namely pasting into Detail Text within a source or a citation. The test worked. So it's not just general notes, family notes, and fact notes that are fixed. It's also notes within sources. Outstanding!

Jerry

#8 TreeTraverser

TreeTraverser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm still waiting for source citations to be fixed in GEDCOM export so I can use my data in other programs. :(

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

In case anyone is looking for the Unused Place List, it is only available through the Lists > Place list as a button on the Place List screen. It is not available in the Reports > Lists area.

You will only see it if the Place list window is wide enough so that you can see all EIGHT buttons at the top. I must have reduced the width of mine at one time and I didn't see that button until I widened the window.
Alfred

#10 inthepastlane

inthepastlane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

I am having a problem with the new update. When I copy/paste into Individual notes I get a stream of

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

instead of what I copied to be pasted. Is anyone else having this problem?

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

itpl, from where are you copying the information? Is it copied from somewhere outside of RM4 or from another window inside it?

Edit:
Looks as though discussion of this issue is taking place here:

http://forums.rootsm...g-from-a-source

Since it's an issue, it should probably be continued there.

#12 inthepastlane

inthepastlane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have moved to the discussion in Issues.

I am using Windows Vista. The problem is I would prefer to not have formatting in my notes. I generally copy first into a plain text email in WinMail to get rid of formatting, then copy/paste that into my notes. That currently generates the series of "E"s (new behavior). I found that I am able to copy into Windows Notepad and cleanly paste into RM notes. I'll use that for the time being. Thanks for your help.

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

I'm being dense today. ;) I can't figure out how to access this.
New in 4.0.9.5

Added ôMark by parentsö and ôUnmark by parentsö to the ôSelect Familiesö list to allow criteria for selecting families

Laura

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

I'm being dense today. ;) I can't figure out how to access this.
New in 4.0.9.5

Added ôMark by parentsö and ôUnmark by parentsö to the ôSelect Familiesö list to allow criteria for selecting families

Laura

Hi Laura!
I believe that is referring to "Select by parents" and "Clear by parents":

Reports->Family Group Sheet->Select families->Select from list->Select by parents (or Clear by parents)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Kevin,

I knew I was being dense. :) It didn't even cross my mind to look for it in the Family Group Sheet report.

That is a welcome addition to Family Group Sheets.

Laura

#16 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

My unused place list is verrrry long! I can't see how I would have added so many places - many totally unfamiliar to me - and not realize it!

Did RM4 come with some places already included?
Jack

a posteriori

#17 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

No, but if you have ever discover something in a place filed which didn't belong there and you typed in something different, what was there originally is still in the place list.
When FTM used the place/description field, and someone imported a GEDCOM file from it, they ended up with a lot of places like "in a car accident" or "Heart attack". Then when they edited the person's death fact in RootsMagic, and entered a proper place, those "Places" stayed in the place list.
If they had edited the cause in the place list, then it would have been replaced and not retained.
Alfred

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

I am confused by the fix that displays the Print Preview at 100%. This is how the program always displayed it as the default. The users were asking to have the program remember the last used view setting or add an option to select full page or page width as the default. At least I was. Any thoughts?

The other enhancements you have requested on the Print Preview are still in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

My unused place list is verrrry long! I can't see how I would have added so many places - many totally unfamiliar to me - and not realize it!

Did RM4 come with some places already included?

Jack, you could export your database to gedcom and import it again into a new file, that should clean up a lot of unused places. Any places that have notes etc attached will remain with the database as these effectively become hard coded into the file.

Do a backup first and make sure on the export you check all the boxes you want like RM4 specific data and private facts.

Root

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have added to our tracking system for the Place List report to include an option to print Unused Places.
Renee
RootsMagic