• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Viking

Viking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Is it possible to easily have the word "Chapter" and the number to display when creating a Publisher Book and to also print in the TOC. It would also be nice to allow some formatting of the TOC, such as indenting, etc.I have a several books that are about 400 pages and about 175 chapters. The TOC would be easier to follow in Chapter x and Section X was allowed and also indenting was allowed.

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

What I do is add in a Text page as the "Chapter" intro page with appropriate text, then I use RM's reports as pages within the "Chapter", albeit with their own TOC entries. For example, one chapter title on the Text page could read "Chapter 1 - Thomas Clark Street, Jr.", and all the reports in that chapter pertain to Thomas. This title appears in the TOC.

You can indent the "Chapter"/report headings, by highlighting a report, then click Rename button at the top, and insert say 5 spaces before the title. Repeat for all other similar chapter/reports. These indents with the Chapter titles above not indented, the Table of Contents looks quite acceptable. The one caveat is that the title at the top of the report is indented the same amount, which is noticeable if the title is left justified. You can reduce the amount of apparent shift by centering the title in the header, with the page number at the bottom. (Try experimenting to see what looks best.)

Food for thought, Bill
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 Viking

Viking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

Bill, thanks for the hint. I had thought about trying something like what you mention. I will experiment a little. What I want is to be able look at the TOC and easily find the contents and for it to look good, both from the Generated report and the PDF file I create. I don't want to try RTF or Text output and solve using word processors. I don't want to write the macros to automate the word processors.

I currently have indented the subchapters and it appears to help, but, it has it own drawbacks. An example of what I have done today is
"Parents" Family Group Report
Father's scrapbook
Mother's scrapbook
Parent's family scrapbook
"daughter/son" Descendants narrative
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" family scrapbook
Report for all the children.

Start over with the Parents. In my case I have 13 Parents. (A large family)

With your Chapter idea. One possibility is:
Chapter xx "Parents 1" family and descendants
"Parents" Family Group Report
Father's scrapbook
Mother's scrapbook
Parent's family scrapbook
"daughter/son" Descendants narrative
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" family scrapbook
Report for all the children.
It would be nice if the reports could be removed from the TOC.

I was hoping there was an easier way to cause the TOC to indent chapters/subchapters.The Chapter #s are not as important as the TOC indenting, the font size.

Thanks for your hints.
George/Viking

#4 Viking

Viking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

In my preceding post, the example spaces were removed.
There were five and 10 spaces before the subchapters.

George

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

In my preceding post, the example spaces were removed.
There were five and 10 spaces before the subchapters.

To preserve such white space in a message posted on this board,
enclose the        text       
                                  in the
code tags as I have done here. The <> button in the Post area will insert the tags or you can type them as code, /code each enclosed in square braces [ ].

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.