• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 suzannec

suzannec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Has anyone been able to import their genealogy from FTM 2008? Family Atlas found some old FTM 2005 files but it does not recognise the FTM 2008 files and there is no option to fix the file extension it looks for. Even when I asked it to search for files it only found the old FTM 2005 files. Thanks
Sue

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Export a GEDCOM file and import that.

The programmers are probably too busy working on RootsMagic to rewrite the Family Atlas importing module every time another program changes it's format.
Alfred

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

RM4 doesn't import any FTM databases more recent than the 2006 version of that program. Yes, I believe that the FTM database structure was in a state of flux, which would've required a great deal of effort on behalf of the RM4 programmers to account for it.

#4 suzannec

suzannec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

Export a GEDCOM file and import that.

The programmers are probably too busy working on RootsMagic to rewrite the Family Atlas importing module every time another program changes it's format.

#5 suzannec

suzannec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

Hi Alfred. Thanks very much for your reply and suggestion. I'll try that. Sorry about the large text - I wasn't shouting.
Regards Sue

#6 suzannec

suzannec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

RM4 doesn't import any FTM databases more recent than the 2006 version of that program. Yes, I believe that the FTM database structure was in a state of flux, which would've required a great deal of effort on behalf of the RM4 programmers to account for it.

#7 suzannec

suzannec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Romer. At least I know I am not doing something wrong. I will try Alfred's suggestion with the GEDCOM file.
Regards
Sue