• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ron1

Ron1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

I am moving my home computing from an XP to Windows 7. I am unable to install Family Origins 10 on the Windows 7 (64-bit) machine. Is there a version that will install? If not, what similar programs would be able to import the extensive database I have set up on Family Origins on my XP?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

RootsMagic was created from the ashes of Family Origins after it was forced into oblivion.
Same author, same look and feel.
RootsMagic 4 is the fourth version since Family Origins 10.

RootsMagic will import the Family Origins 10 database directly. Although it will not restore the backup directly, Windows 7 should be able to expand the Family Origins backup file into it's original format so that RootsMagic can import it.

The pictures, or multimedia files, are not part of the program though and will need to be copied separately. The Links to these pictures will be retained, although you may have to do a serach - search and replace - multimedia file names to direct the program to whatever new location you happen to store them.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/
Alfred

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Ron, what exactly are you seeing during the attempted install?

I'm not certain if they're compatible. If they are . . .

I don't have Windows 7, but wonder if the directory structure there may be causing a problem. Are you getting far enough to be able to see in what folder is being suggested for the installation of the program files? I'd think that those files would need to go to the 32-bit application folder.

#4 calendar

calendar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

In May 2010 I went from Family Origins 10 in Windows 98 to Win 7 (64 bit) and all went well. It looks like my RootsMagic is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 4 -- if that is any help. I had no pictures or other media files in FO to import.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I just installed Family Origins 9 on my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium via a roundabout route. It cannot be installed directly from the CD-ROM using setup.exe, unless perhaps you have Win 7 Professional and run in XP compatibility mode. First I installed from the CD-ROM to a Windows Vista machine. Then I copied the Parsons Technology folder from that machine to the Win 7 computer in the C:Program Files (x86)\ folder, for which you will need Administrator privileges. You could copy to a Public folder, instead, if you want to allow any non-administrative user to run it (there's a .ini file written to the program folder during each session).

I created a shortcut on the desktop to the .exe file and copied it to a folder I created in the Startup Menu so I can launch FO 9 from either location. To associate the database file, right click on the .fow file, select Open With and browse to where you installed FO and select the .exe file with the tree beside it; now clicking on the .fow file will open it with FO.

The same technique should work for FO 10.

I'm a RootsMagic user so why install FO 9? Just curious to see RM's ancestry and how it has evolved.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 CaperKid

CaperKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

Family Origins for Windows - Installation Problems

I ran into this problem trying to install FOW on a Windows 10 machine.

This worked for me.

1. Go to the old computer on which FOW is installed and working.
2. Export your family data in the form of a GEDCOM file. Save it on a thumb drive.
3. On the old computer locate the directory where the FOW files are installed.
4. Copy all the files and sub-folders in this directory to a a separate directory
   on the thumbdrive.
5. Now go to the new computer (Windows 7, 8, or 10).
6. On the new computer in ROOT of the operating drive (Usually "C") create a
   directory named "Family Origins". Do not do this in PROGRAMS. Make sure
   `Family Origins`is in the ROOT.
7. Copy all the files from step 4 on the thumb drive into this newly created
   `Family Origin` created in step 6.
8. In the new `Family Origins`directory locate the executable file FOWin32.EXE
9. Click on the FOWin32.exe fie name with the RIGHT mouse button.
10.In the window that opens choose...  Send to Desktop
11.Go to the desktop. Locate the icon for FOW. Thw program should start.
12. Once the program starts import the data saved in step2.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:25 AM

Family Origins became defunct in January 2003 almost 13 years ago.

Upgrade to RootsMagic 7 for 19.95.

RootsMagic will do a direct import of Family Origins databases created in Family Origins version 4 or later.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

Laura, I find it useful to be able to turn on Family Origins 9 to see how far RootsMagic has come (or not) from its ancestor. So being able to run it in recent versions of Windows is of continuing interest to me.

CaperKid, instead of exporting a GEDCOM, since you are having to copy the Family Origins executables to a transfer medium, you might as well copy the database files themselves (or, better, the backup ZIP file) also, along with the Scrapbook media files (which GEDCOM does not transport). 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.