• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kchutchins

kchutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have setup a new FACT 'Grave Location' and have added it when I know the persons actual grave location.
I am now trying to setup a Custom Report to show 'Burial' fact information with 'Grave Location' fact
I don't want to run against the whole database ONLY want a person who has both FACT types[Burial & Grave Location].
Is there a way I can do this without selecting the people each time.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

You have to select the people each time, but you could make this extremely easy by creating a Group containing the selected people. You can then point your Custom Report at the Group with just one click.

Jerry Bryan

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Good thinking, Jerry!

kc, in the future, just be sure to update the group before you run the custom report. While the group may be accurate when you first set it up, it's not dynamically changed as you add to, delete from, or change the data in your database.

#4 kchutchins

kchutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

You have to select the people each time, but you could make this extremely easy by creating a Group containing the selected people. You can then point your Custom Report at the Group with just one click.

Jerry Bryan

That sounds GREAT... How do I do that......

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

kc, I'm in a hurry, so can't post a comprehensive step-by-step answer right now. However, just in case you need to accomplish what you're trying to do in short order, I can quickly give you some references to help in the process before having to head out . . .

Click on the Groups icon on the Sidebar. Click on resulting icon, which brings up the Named Groups screen. Press the F1 key to bring up Help on the subject. A hyperlink under "New Groups" will take you to help for the "Select People" screen. Particularly note the "Select people by data fields" discussion and accompanying hyperlink that brings you to help on "Using the Search dialog". This "Search for information" screen is where you'll choose your selection criteria for your group (that both facts exist).

When you run the custom report, choose the group name in question from the "People to include" dropdown. Again, when you run this report at sometime in the future, update the group members before you begin the custom report process in case they've changed since the last time.

If you're unable to figure out the process from Help, someone here may be able to answer any issues that you're facing.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

at the top of the sidebar are five icons, the right one is "Groups"
Click on that, then below those icons the heading changes to "groups"
Click on the icon to the lower right of that, and it brings up a window, "Named Groups."
Click the NEW button there and get the "Select People" window where you select those with the facts.
Click on "Mark group"
Click "Select people by data fields"
Burial -- exists -- is true
AND -- Grave Location -- exist -- is true

That will only get you those people who have both of those facts, whether they are filled in or not.

You have to fill in the column headings and the fields to show in the report.
Alfred

#7 calendar

calendar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi Alfred,
I could not help reading everyone's advice on how to set up this report, especially yours, and wanted to say that your step-by-step instructions are clear and easy to understand. I made a copy to put in my file and feel confident that I can get a similar report in the future. Thank you for your continuous help to all of us who are NEW.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Calendar,

When I make a new group, I put the search criteria in shorthand in the Group name. I don't have to try to remember the filters I used for that Group.

One of my Group names:

!! No married ALT name [+ Sex is female AND Marriage exists True, - Suffix contains =}

+ equals Mark Group
- equals Unmark Group

Laura

#9 kchutchins

kchutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

at the top of the sidebar are five icons, the right one is "Groups"
Click on that, then below those icons the heading changes to "groups"
Click on the icon to the lower right of that, and it brings up a window, "Named Groups."
Click the NEW button there and get the "Select People" window where you select those with the facts.
Click on "Mark group"
Click "Select people by data fields"
Burial -- exists -- is true
AND -- Grave Location -- exist -- is true

That will only get you those people who have both of those facts, whether they are filled in or not.

You have to fill in the column headings and the fields to show in the report.

THANK YOU this worked very well.

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

You really shouldn't need both facts in this case.
If there is a grave location, I would sort of assume that they were buried.
So the burial -- exists shouldn't make any difference.
Alfred

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

When I make a new group, I put the search criteria in shorthand in the Group name. I don't have to try to remember the filters I used for that Group.

Laura, when Dynamic Groups get introduced the particular search criteria should get stored and be visible when you select Edit, for now your system is a good work around, lets hope you don't have to use it for much longer. ;)

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have setup a new FACT 'Grave Location' and have added it when I know the persons actual grave location.
I am now trying to setup a Custom Report to show 'Burial' fact information with 'Grave Location' fact
I don't want to run against the whole database ONLY want a person who has both FACT types[Burial & Grave Location].

Additional facts are not needed, if you know they were buried in Texas then enter that into Place and do a report or group.

Burial Place contains Texas AND Burial Place Details are blank - (texas is just an example.
This will give you all burials known in Texas where a Cemetery Name (Place Details) have not been yet entered.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#13 calendar

calendar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Gee, thanks for all the information. You guys are GOOD! I'm making copies of every word, as I know I will be needing this in the future.

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Laura, when Dynamic Groups get introduced the particular search criteria should get stored and be visible when you select Edit, for now your system is a good work around, lets hope you don't have to use it for much longer. ;)

I doubt very much if I change putting the search filters in my Group names even if RM shows me the Search criteria on clicking Edit or any other button if or when Dynamic Groups might be programmed in. I wouldn't have to click on anything to see my search criteria for the Group whether for Dynamic or Static Groups.

So, for me this is not a work around.

Laura

#15 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

So, for me this is not a work around.

It is very self explanitory, each group should have a good descriptive name of what it contains anyway.

Root