#1 lostinbrave

lostinbrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Narrowing locate missing files:
It would be nice to be able to whittle down the area that it searches so it doesn't go through 3 drives that it will find nothing in.

Import a folder:
It would be nice to be able select a folder to import and have it import them all, makes it alot faster for people with many picture files to link.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Narrowing locate missing files:
It would be nice to be able to whittle down the area that it searches so it doesn't go through 3 drives that it will find nothing in.

This WISH has been floated many times before and it would seem logical that it would be fulfilled.

Import a folder:
It would be nice to be able select a folder to import and have it import them all, makes it alot faster for people with many picture files to link.

This touches on something I believe would be most useful and that is to select a folder and for RM to report all the files in that folder which are not currently referenced (linked) in the RM database. Then users could progressively work through the unlinked file to link them where appropriate.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

This is a new wish but I decided to pin in on here as a kind of generic Media Gallery thread.

Working quite a bit with the Media Gallery today the subject of filtering came to mind again as larger galleries get harder to work with.

My Media falls into a number of categories, People, Documents, Maps, Headstones etc and those could be sub divided further. I thought it would be nice if a category was input in Media Properties on adding the item then a drop down list could allow filtering of the media subject matter.

This list could be compiled from user input rather than being imposed but I know some sort of filtering in the Media Gallery would be very useful to me.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

Yes - when we have some improvements to the MEdia Gallery I think filtering options will be essential to make it really work.

This gets my vote. I think the filtering should offer options on file name (or part), directory locations, file dates as well as all the metadata being recorded in the RM fields,

MVS.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

I would like to see the RM Media Gallery display thumbnails for PDF files as Windows Explorer does, rather that just the PDF icon.

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

I would like to see the RM Media Gallery display thumbnails for PDF files as Windows Explorer does, rather that just the PDF icon.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

I totally agree, as your media vault grows, the files become hardly manageable. Therefore I would vote for the following enhancements:

1. Implement tagging feature in the media manager, make the tags searchable

2. An imported media asset should have its main note (caption) which would be displayed in every instance where it is attached. For instance a photo with three persons should have its main caption "Left to right: A, B, C", so that I do not have to clone the caption every time attach it to any person. However, every instance should be able to adopt an individual auxiliary caption, such as "Auntie C: here with golden medal for crawl 400m"

3. Add the searching and search narrowing functions mentioned above. Plus, add option to search items by path relative to main .rmgc file?

4. Add "Reveal in Explorer" function to easily access the file

5. Hovering a photo should popup a overlay with magnified version (and smoothed if necessary) of the media (indispensable for tiny-screen netbooks) and full, not trimmed with an ellipsis, captions/file names. Current fashion of trimming the names makes management very difficult if you chose a naming system where the significant difference fall at the name end, such as "auntA_uncleB_grandpaC_berlin1939.jpg" and "auntA_uncleB_grandpaC_moscow1942.jpg". You will probably see only the identical beginnings followed by ellipsis.

6. Provide a way to harmlessly replace media item with newer version - say: I managed to get a better quality of the same photo, so my captions and usage should be preserved.

7. Provide a smart functionality to link newly uploaded media to a list of persons. Following the scenarios:
Scenario 1:
I want to generate a list of persons by manually searching them. Once I have collected all parties, I press "Attach".
Scenario 2:
I want to use a list which is based upon usage of another photo. I have a photo "X" attached to persons A, B, C, D. Now I add a new photo "Y" and want to attach it to persons A, B and D. So the best way would be to have the usage list generated for photo "X" and attach the photo "Y", remove person C from the list, and attach to persons A B and D, as desired.

8. Add a functionality to disable/hide an asset without removing its data from the database. An example scenario would be when you realize that the photo probably depicts someone different, and you want to hide the photo until you verify that information.

9. A way to rename media files on disk and updating the file references.

10. Bug? When I have my media gallery in a state where no file is available, adding new media (which is obviously available) will also contaminate the media as unavailable? To be verified....

Hope my suggestions are clear and make sense to you all.

Best regards,
Artur

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

6. Provide a way to harmlessly replace media item with newer version - say: I managed to get a better quality of the same photo, so my captions and usage should be preserved.
and
9. A way to rename media files on disk and updating the file references.

If you give the new file the same name as the old file, no changes need to be made.

If the new file has a new name:
Media Gallery: Highlight the thumbnail. Click on File and select the new file to replace the old file.
Media Album: Highlight the thumbnail. Click on Properties. Click on Change media file and select the new file.
Captions, descriptions and links are preserved using either method.

10. Bug? When I have my media gallery in a state where no file is available, adding new media (which is obviously available) will also contaminate the media as unavailable? To be verified....

I changed the media paths in my Play database so that all the links were broken when I opened Media Gallery. I then added a new media using the correct path. The newly added media thumbnail did not show in the Media Gallery until I closed it and then reopened it so RM could rebuild the thumbnails.

Laura

#10 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:56 AM

I changed the media paths in my Play database so that all the links were broken when I opened Media Gallery. I then added a new media using the correct path. The newly added media thumbnail did not show in the Media Gallery until I closed it and then reopened it so RM could rebuild the thumbnails.

That's exactly what I experienced. I don't think it's a fortunate solution. This may halt progress in work, such as when you split your work in parts and have part of media temporarily unavailable for some reason (you're in travel or you are remotely helping someone with scanning and attaching photos). I can live without the existing thumbnails but I would like to go on with building my media library and to see what I'm doing. That's why I count it as a bug.

Hope this clarifies.
Regards,
Artur

#11 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:00 AM

11. Drag'n'drop: I would see the global Media Gallery a non-modal window, preferably one where I could drag media from and drop them onto a person to attach to.

#12 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

12. A "legend" tool for photos - click each person in a picture to have subsequently numbered overlays appear in turn, allowing to insert legend labels. The legend info should be stored along with the photo, and displayed in every place the photo is used. The overlays could be hidden so to enable non-distracted view of the photo itself. An overlay could be linked to existing person in the tree: the name would be live-subscribed to that person, clicking such overlay would switch to that person.

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Confirming enhancement request and possible bug are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic