Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Data from FO, not used for long time. In name list, A B and C. Not a double in
the list for A B and C. Did an Ahnentafel for A. Ahnentafel had BB and CC in
second tier. Looked and each spouse had two (2). Looked at spouse list and each
had BB and CC. Of course no merge. Unlinked one spouse and children vanished.

How does this problem get solved without tearning out and reentry for the screwed
up family?

#2 June

June

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

How does this problem get solved without tearning out and reentry for the screwed
up family?

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

I cannot fully understand your problem.
But there is no reason to delete anyone, you can UNLINK a person from a parent or spouse.
Or, you can delete a family, the default is to just unlink everyone from everyone else, which may be overkill unless you have one family linked properly and another with only part of the same family linked. In that case, viewing the partial family in family view, right clicking on one of the parents and deleting that partially linked family would be the way to go.

==========================
A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA, just in case...
Alfred

#4 June

June

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

up family?

I have the same problem. When I originally entered data I didn't have a marriage date and left it blank. Later when I added the date, the record now shows that the husband and wife are married twice - with the same record numbers, so I am not able to eliminate the duplicate marriage. This has happened several times and I don't know how to correct it.

#5 calendar

calendar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Dear DEC405,
Please be more specific. What is your question? Maybe use names instead of A,B,C.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

I have the same problem. When I originally entered data I didn't have a marriage date and left it blank. Later when I added the date, the record now shows that the husband and wife are married twice - with the same record numbers, so I am not able to eliminate the duplicate marriage. This has happened several times and I don't know how to correct it.

Marriage is only a family fact, if you have it listed twice, just delete one of them.
But, if one party has the same spouse listed twice at the top part of the Edit Person window, then there is an extra family linked, refer to my previous post.
Alfred

#7 DEC405

DEC405

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

up family?

====================================================================

Had a bit of lightening problems in the area--litttle computer,TV and phone exercise.

When I bought RM I imported FO. Did not use one family line for long time. In the RM
name list was Smith2, Smith1 and White. They were not doubled in the name list. I made
an Ahnentafel for Smith2. In the second generation Smith1 and White showed up twice.
Looked at the family screen and Smith1 had White twice and White had Smith1 twice. Of
course they, Smith1 and Smith1, will not merge. I unlinked one spouse and the cildren
vanished.

up family?

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

I cannot understand what you are trying to say.
It is possible for a person to appear more than once in an ancestor list. In fact, the farther you go back the more likely it is.
Now, if you have linked a person as a child in more than one family.
In the second generation there are only the mother and father of the starting person, so you must mean the third generation, where Smith2 and White show up twice.
If they show up twice, then the people in the second generation must be brother and sister, children of Smith2 and White.

You do not have to delete anyone, just right click on them and unlink from the parents where they have been erroneously linked.
Alfred

#9 DEC405

DEC405

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I cannot understand what you are trying to say.
It is possible for a person to appear more than once in an ancestor list. In fact, the farther you go back the more likely it is.
Now, if you have linked a person as a child in more than one family.
In the second generation there are only the mother and father of the starting person, so you must mean the third generation, where Smith2 and White show up twice.
If they show up twice, then the people in the second generation must be brother and sister, children of Smith2 and White.

You do not have to delete anyone, just right click on them and unlink from the parents where they have been erroneously linked.

#10 DEC405

DEC405

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

It is possible for a person to appear more than once in an ancestor list. In fact, the farther you go back the more likely it is
==================================================================
These three people appeared ONCE in the ancestor list.

The son appeared once in the Ahnentafel. The parents appeared twice,
twins, in the Ahnentafel and twice in the Family screen. Import from FO.
I plan to look for similar strangers.

I deleted one of the mothers and they both (double) disappears. When I
deleted the mother the children also departed.

I have nothing to try a right click with and the program deleted
the problem. And left a rebuilder.

Lets just call the exercise an FYI.

R/ DEC405

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

The first thing I told you is that there is no need to delete anyone.

These three people appeared ONCE in the ancestor list.

The son appeared once in the Ahnentafel. The parents appeared twice,
twins, in the Ahnentafel and twice in the Family screen.

What is an Ahnentafel? It is just a numbering scheme for an ancestor listing.
A pedigree chart, or listing, where a person's father's number is exactly twice his and his mother's number is one more than his. father's.

BUT, if you do LIST if the people who are your ancestors, someone could show up ten times in the Ahnentafel pedigree chart but would only be listed once in the list of ancestors.

If you would give the names, first names are enough, and numbers in the Ahnentafel listing, maybe we could figure out where the linkage is mixed up.

How could the parents be in his Ahnentafel listing more than once? there is only one set of parents there for each person. SO, the people you are calling his parents must be showing as grandparents too, or something like that.
Alfred

#12 DEC405

DEC405

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks. No! The dog is dead.

R/ DEC405

#13 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

When adding Parents to a Child and you select Existing person from my list, then looking at the parents I see Double and Triple entries on the parents. I unlink the parents from the child several times and the same thing happens.

When I add the Father again to the Child, the Father now has his Wife 3 times as the spouse. How do I get rid of the double entries?

Help!

#14 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

To unlink a family which has been linked incorrectly, you right click on one of the parents and choose Delete -> family.
The default is to unlink that particular bunch of family links but leave all the people in the database (AND, any other family links which there happen to be.)

If you already have a man and woman linked as spouses, DO NOT use the onscreen "Click to add Father" or "Click to add mother" there is a problem there and only that parent will be added and no chance for you to choose the other parent whether already existing or not.

P = Parent
C = Child
S = Spouse
I = Individual (not linked to anyone when added

With anyone highlighted on the main screen, press one of these keys to add and link someone.
(If you choose P for Parent, you are first asked if you want to add a new person or an existing person, one already in the database for the father, then the mother, then you are asked if you want to add a marriage fact. (OH, you are warned if the person already has parents too.)
Alfred

#15 DEC405

DEC405

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

Alfred, thanks. You are collecting too many "A"s.

R/ DEC405