8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

This may have been brought up before (perhaps even by me) but I'll risk repetition in hopes of attention. I think it would be great if the Media Tools button's "Show where media is used" functionality were enhanced so that you could add subsequent individuals or families to link to a particular media item. This would make linking a photo with a detailed caption more east to copy to several individuals (as in a large group photo). Please let me know if there already is a shortcut for this.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

This may have been brought up before (perhaps even by me) but I'll risk repetition in hopes of attention. I think it would be great if the Media Tools button's "Show where media is used" functionality were enhanced so that you could add subsequent individuals or families to link to a particular media item. This would make linking a photo with a detailed caption more east to copy to several individuals (as in a large group photo). Please let me know if there already is a shortcut for this.

Media Tools, as you put it, are greatly needed in my opinion. Although I love the new Media Gallery it is very easy for me to argue that in RM3 I could add media links much quicker by simply copying&pasting the path from entry to entry.

When the Media Gallery expands over more than a few pages it gets difficult to manage and various posts and threads have pointed out those difficulties with duplicate thumbnails being allowed to exist, sorting and finding of media etc etc.

One generic computer type fix would be to have a check box to show only recently used or linked files in Media Gallery then files currently in use could be easily reselected.

I would also like to see a button to or feature to show the files in the designated Media folder&sub folders that are not currently linked to the database.

I think Renee stated that some work was going on here and hopefully other users will point out the features and functionality they desire from media Gallery.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Pinecone

Pinecone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Media Tools, as you put it, are greatly needed in my opinion. Although I love the new Media Gallery it is very easy for me to argue that in RM3 I could add media links much quicker by simply copying&pasting the path from entry to entry.

When the Media Gallery expands over more than a few pages it gets difficult to manage and various posts and threads have pointed out those difficulties with duplicate thumbnails being allowed to exist, sorting and finding of media etc etc.

One generic computer type fix would be to have a check box to show only recently used or linked files in Media Gallery then files currently in use could be easily reselected.

I would also like to see a button to or feature to show the files in the designated Media folder&sub folders that are not currently linked to the database.

I think Renee stated that some work was going on here and hopefully other users will point out the features and functionality they desire from media Gallery.

I would like to see in the media tools a "browse" function so that you can tell it where to look for your pictures instead of the function checking out all of your computer. It is so time consuming to "fix media" when you have several hundred or more in the program and it checks your whole computer and you know exactly where it is. I have it listed in my folder options but it does not seem to recognize that fact.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Browse feature in Media Gallery, highlight the thumbnail. Click the file button at the top of the screen. Navigate to the folder the media file is in.

Browse feature in Media Album, highlight the thumbnail. Choose Properties and Change media file.

Laura

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Browse feature in Media Gallery, highlight the thumbnail. Click the file button at the top of the screen. Navigate to the folder the media file is in.

Browse feature in Media Album, highlight the thumbnail. Choose Properties and Change media file.

Laura, I think what Pinecone was wishing for is something I would also like - the ability to restrict the fix broken links to a drive or directory. Pinecone, firstly welcome to the forum, and feel free to confirm if we are on the same page.

Presently I have to disable various network and USB drives otherwise I end up having to select which file I want to use from which drive, the same can happen if you have a mirror of your files on the same drive. I personally don't want RM to search C: as I know my files are not there and it just adds so much time to the operation. In general I also don't want it to search various other drives adding even more time to the operation. However if I did lose a file I would like the OPTION to search "My Computer" or Network so I can find it again.

In my opinion once "Fix Broken Media Links" is selected a selection window should be presented so the user can select Computer, Drive, Folder or Network to search.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

In my opinion once "Fix Broken Media Links" is selected a selection window should be presented so the user can select Computer, Drive, Folder or Network to search.

Hear, hear! Been wished for previously, too.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I would like to see in the media tools a "browse" function so that you can tell it where to look for your pictures instead of the function checking out all of your computer. It is so time consuming to "fix media" when you have several hundred or more in the program and it checks your whole computer and you know exactly where it is. I have it listed in my folder options but it does not seem to recognize that fact.

Laura, I think what Pinecone was wishing for is something I would also like - the ability to restrict the fix broken links to a drive or directory. Pinecone, firstly welcome to the forum, and feel free to confirm if we are on the same page.

Vyger, that might well be what Pinecone meant but I didn't read it that way. My question to myself about Pinecone's post was "Why would a user use Fix media under Tools when they know where the file is if they know about the File button?" And there might be others that read it like I did and don't know how the File button works.

Pinecone, I too welcome you to the forum and do please confirm your meaning for us.

Personally, I would like to see the File function and the Fix broken media function put under either the File button or Tools button so both functions would be together.

And bring back the Show button to the main Gallery screen for Show where this media is used.

Laura

#8 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

...it is very easy for me to argue that in RM3 I could add media links much quicker by simply copying&pasting the path from entry to entry.

Adding a picture with title and caption to 15 people was painstaking in RM3 what with all the copying & pasting. RM4 is even slower. I agree that there can be some improvement here. If a media item is added to an individual, it shouldn't be hard to copy it to others using the same kind of "Mark group" capability found elsewhere in the program. Capability to add media to families and sources in the same dialog box would be handy as well.

#9 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

Adding a picture with title and caption to 15 people was painstaking in RM3 what with all the copying & pasting. RM4 is even slower.

It does seem that RM4 has gone downhill from RM3 in this aspect, so much for progress