24 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

This is probably elementary for most of you guys and, perhaps all my gray hair has slurped up all my grey matter, but I'm not really sure I understand everything I need to know about the gallery.

If I remove a media file attached to someone in my db, does it also get removed from the gallery? If not, how do I delete pix in the gallery?

How do I search the gallery? If there are hundreds of files in it and I want to select one that's already attached to one person and want to attach it to an additional person, do I have to do a manual search by scrolling through each one until I find that file? Could take a long time!

What happens should I decide not to look thru the gallery for an existing file that's already linked to someone, but instead decide to add another link from the HD? Shouldn't the gallery be smart enough not to duplicate the entry when it sees it now contains two pix with the same name and path?

Since it apparently is not that smart yet...what long term affect does adding dups do to the gallery?

When my "fix broken links" works again, and the procedure finds the right pix, does it move them to the path set for it in RM? Or, will it just make the new found location the link to that particular pix?

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

If I remove a media file attached to someone in my db, does it also get removed from the gallery? If not, how do I delete pix in the gallery?

No, it stays in the gallery.
Go to the Media Gallery from Lists, click on the object and then click the Remove Media button.

How do I search the gallery? If there are hundreds of files in it and I want to select one that's already attached to one person and want to attach it to an additional person, do I have to do a manual search by scrolling through each one until I find that file? Could take a long time!

They are listed alphabetically by file name, grab the scroll slider and drag it down about the alphabetic position of the first letter, then up or down a page at a time until you find it.

What happens should I decide not to look thru the gallery for an existing file that's already linked to someone, but instead decide to add another link from the HD? Shouldn't the gallery be smart enough not to duplicate the entry when it sees it now contains two pix with the same name and path?

You will get another copy of the same file in the gallery.
There is no intelligence in any software, the programmers don't have the foresight to make anything foolproof.
If they did, we would just come up with better fools.

Since it apparently is not that smart yet...what long term affect does adding dups do to the gallery?

The gallery gets larger and harder to search.

When my "fix broken links" works again, and the procedure finds the right pix, does it move them to the path set for it in RM? Or, will it just make the new found location the link to that particular pix?

Fix broken links, another way to try to make it foolproof. The program never did and probably never will move files around. That is up to the person who moved them away from the position he told the program they were located. It will, however change the link so that it points to the files new-found location.
Alfred

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

There is no intelligence in any software, the programmers don't have the foresight to make anything foolproof.
If they did, we would just come up with better fools.

Thanks Alfred...all that helps.

I can't stop wondering however...RM is smart enough to know when I input two people with the same name...why not media?!

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Even Microsoft, with many many more programmers, cannot think of nor find time to do everything.
Remember, this is a completely new program, written in a different programming language, trying to look as much like the previous version as possible.
It is a little like a best selling author trying to write a new best selling novel in a new language as he learns it.
Your question will probably be added to the wish list and when they find that ROUND TOIT the next upgrade of the program will ask you if Johnny.JPG is the same as the Johnny.jpg that is already in the gallery.
Alfred

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:13 AM

Even Microsoft, with many many more programmers, cannot think of nor find time to do everything.
Remember, this is a completely new program, written in a different programming language, trying to look as much like the previous version as possible.
It is a little like a best selling author trying to write a new best selling novel in a new language as he learns it.
Your question will probably be added to the wish list and when they find that ROUND TOIT the next upgrade of the program will ask you if Johnny.JPG is the same as the Johnny.jpg that is already in the gallery.

Sounds wunnerful to me!

BTW, last night when I tried to fix broken media links I did so from Lists > Media Gallery. The search took several minutes looking at three very large hard drives and finally told me that I had 32 broken links. I was then asked to pick from several dupes spread out over those HDs. After I did that and told it to continue, up popped the error msg quoted in my earlier message on this topic.

If I try to fix broken media links by arriving at the gallery through the media album, then select tools and fix broken links, the error message pops up immediately without a search.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I can't stop wondering however...RM is smart enough to know when I input two people with the same name...why not media?!

RM should prompt for "file already in Gallery" and in the future I believe it will, duplicate thumbnails should automerge or maybe an automerge button will be introduced.

File naming is important in RM, path changes can be overcome by "fix broken links" but not renamed files. It is possible to cope with renamed files but I am not sure yet whether File CRC information could be carried by gedcom transfer.

Years ago as my media files increased in size I found the need to introcuce a naming convention which has worked very well for me since, e.g

surgeoner-jackson,1922-jan-15-(b) - birth record copy
surgeoner-james&madge,1901-mar-31-(cens) - family census copy
surginor-harold,1834-dec-13-(obit) - obituary copy

I'm sure you get the idea, I segregate records by type and main family name into different folders also which helps. Using Windows I can easily search for "(obit)" across all HDD's and find all obituary records I currently have.

RM can not easily deal with filename changes so owners must take ownership of file naming, RM could help by using Metadata information also and may quite possibly do so in the future.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

RM should prompt for "file already in Gallery" and in the future I believe it will, duplicate thumbnails should automerge or maybe an automerge button will be introduced.

File naming is important in RM, path changes can be overcome by "fix broken links" but not renamed files. It is possible to cope with renamed files but I am not sure yet whether File CRC information could be carried by gedcom transfer.

Years ago as my media files increased in size I found the need to introduce a naming convention which has worked very well for me since, e.g

surgeoner-jackson,1922-jan-15-(B) - birth record copy
surgeoner-james&madge,1901-mar-31-(cens) - family census copy
surginor-harold,1834-dec-13-(obit) - obituary copy

I'm sure you get the idea, I segregate records by type and main family name into different folders also which helps. Using Windows I can easily search for "(obit)" across all HDD's and find all obituary records I currently have.

RM can not easily deal with filename changes so owners must take ownership of file naming, RM could help by using Metadata information also and may quite possibly do so in the future.

I do something similar with file names. I use the persons name; e.g., john smith death cert.jpg or john smith marr lic.jpg, etc. I have some of my media files segregated into appropriately named folders for each db; e.g., death certs, marr lic, etc. I want to do that with my other dbs but can't get the broken link thing to work properly.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

BTW, last night when I tried to fix broken media links I did so from Lists > Media Gallery. The search took several minutes looking at three very large hard drives and finally told me that I had 32 broken links. I was then asked to pick from several dupes spread out over those HDs. After I did that and told it to continue, up popped the error msg quoted in my earlier message on this topic.

If I try to fix broken media links by arriving at the gallery through the media album, then select tools and fix broken links, the error message pops up immediately without a search.

I was able to reproduce this. The error message is: "RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error: Access violation at address 00406474 in module 'Root..." I updated my earlier bug report to include these new steps.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

I was able to reproduce this. The error message is: "RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error: Access violation at address 00406474 in module 'Root..." I updated my earlier bug report to include these new steps.

Thanks Renee!

Good to hear that you're on top of these bug reports.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

I seem to be having one RM4 nightmare after another lately.

The earlier fix broken media links problem has popped back up. I am receiving an "Access violation at address ADBEEFDE." The pop-up error window isn't large enough to show the complete error msg. I have sent a report to RM via the send error report button.

Anyone have a clue?

---

It finds and fixes correctly from the Media Gallery.

Edited by Jack, 05 October 2010 - 03:12 AM.

Jack

a posteriori

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

BTW, last night when I tried to fix broken media links I did so from Lists > Media Gallery. The search took several minutes looking at three very large hard drives and finally told me that I had 32 broken links. I was then asked to pick from several dupes spread out over those HDs.

I've run "fix broken media links" a couple of times. For the most part, the images in the RM Gallery are unique within my C: drive, but there are a few images that are duplicated in more than one folder on purpose (don't ask!). I feel like there needs to be better controls of the "fix broken links" process to constrain which folders it looks in. Even more important, I once ran "fix broken links" with a USB Flash drive connected to my computer and the USB Flash drive in question had a copy of all my images that were on the C: drive. So RM4 started asking about duplicates for every file. Again, more controls of the "fix broken link" process are needed.

Jerry Bryan

#12 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Just checking:
I tried it from a personal media album and got the error message. (even if that particular album had no broken links)
Then, after canceling (which didn't work, I had to use the upper right corner X to get out of it) out of that error, I tried it from the Media Gallery and it ran through the whole thing OK.

I would like to limit the area of search, there isn't much need to go through the Program Files folder, and I would like to restrict it to MY choice of locations.
Alfred

#13 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Just checking:
I tried it from a personal media album and got the error message. (even if that particular album had no broken links)
Then, after canceling (which didn't work, I had to use the upper right corner X to get out of it) out of that error, I tried it from the Media Gallery and it ran through the whole thing OK.

I would like to limit the area of search, there isn't much need to go through the Program Files folder, and I would like to restrict it to MY choice of locations.

Yeah, the cancel button didn't work for me either!

Amen on your and Jerry's comments!

I third the motion of adding some control where searches are made. I have two external hard drives attached for back ups and I have to turn them off to keep the search from including them.
Jack

a posteriori

#14 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, the cancel button didn't work for me either!

Amen on your and Jerry's comments!

I third the motion of adding some control where searches are made. I have two external hard drives attached for back ups and I have to turn them off to keep the search from including them.

Will Renee pick up on this, or do we need to create a ticket!?
Jack

a posteriori

#15 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

I wonder if the folks at RootMagic appreciate how important multi-media management is for some of us family history researchers. I have around 2500 names on my database which, seeing some of the numberw quoted on the bulletin boards seems quite modest, but already have many thousands of multi-media items (photos, certificates, wills, census records, newspaper articles and so on). Again, I would guess there would be others with a whole lot more.

The Gallery is so very simple that it is quite useless to help me store/find/match any of these items and so I have never bothered to use it. The net result is I use a number of external tools to manage my media library outside of RootsMagic (although the images themselves are linked in to the appropriate records). This is the best solution for me but does not begin to compare with what might be achieved if there were better functionaility within RM.

This is an area that could be improved immeasurably

The two main tools I use are Picassa from Google (free) to search for media items on my hard disk and a VB program I have written to track both missing files as well as media files that are not used within RM (which helps me decide whether to link them in or dump them).

MVS.

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

I seem to be having one RM4 nightmare after another lately.

The earlier fix broken media links problem has popped back up. I am receiving an "Access violation at address ADBEEFDE." The pop-up error window isn't large enough to show the complete error msg. I have sent a report to RM via the send error report button.

Anyone have a clue?
---

It finds and fixes correctly from the Media Gallery.

This issue was reported earlier and should be fixed in our next update.
Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

Will Renee pick up on this, or do we need to create a ticket!?

Yes, I reported the issue with the Cancel button not working properly.

I also created an enhancement request for more controls over where the "Fixed Broken Media links" is searching.
Renee
RootsMagic

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I wonder if the folks at RootMagic appreciate how important multi-media management is for some of us family history researchers. I have around 2500 names on my database which, seeing some of the numberw quoted on the bulletin boards seems quite modest, but already have many thousands of multi-media items (photos, certificates, wills, census records, newspaper articles and so on). Again, I would guess there would be others with a whole lot more.

The Gallery is so very simple that it is quite useless to help me store/find/match any of these items and so I have never bothered to use it. The net result is I use a number of external tools to manage my media library outside of RootsMagic (although the images themselves are linked in to the appropriate records). This is the best solution for me but does not begin to compare with what might be achieved if there were better functionaility within RM.

This is an area that could be improved immeasurably

The two main tools I use are Picassa from Google (free) to search for media items on my hard disk and a VB program I have written to track both missing files as well as media files that are not used within RM (which helps me decide whether to link them in or dump them).

MVS.

I have passed your comments onto the RootsMagician so he can consider them in his priority for bugs and enhancements.
Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

This is probably elementary for most of you guys and, perhaps all my gray hair has slurped up all my grey matter, but I'm not really sure I understand everything I need to know about the gallery.

The Gallery works pretty well but it will be next subject for "a critical look"

In answer to your questions :-

No, you have to delete manually
No way at present except by alphabetical file naming
Yes it should, but it's not
Don't know but gedcom export/import will resolve the dups
It is working and not it just links to the file in it's current location.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

I have created my "critical look" at http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html if anyone has anything to add to to the collective thinking around the media gallery then please let me know.

http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html

Root