• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britwoman

britwoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

I am very new to this program and having a very hard time adding a non-married mother. My son is divorved with a child from that union. He now has a partner and they have a child. When adding the appropriate mother the info it carried over to the other family members listing the wrong parents,or my son is listed as having 2 spouse one unknown, and under family view it only lists daughter from the ex wife. What am I doing wrong?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

In this program, spouse only means that the two people combined to parent a child, it does not assume they are married until you add a marriage fact.
It sounds like your son should have two spouses, first the one he married and second the current partner.
There would be a marriage and a divorce fact with the first spouse.

To add a spouse, you can highlight a person and:
1. Click the ADD menu and choose spouse
2. Click the toolbar tool, man with a plus sign, and choose spouse
3. press the keyboard s key ( s for spouse )
If there was no marriage, do not enter a marriage fact. If you know they were married not where or when, just entering a blank marriage fact will show that.

You can add a child to an individual or family about the same way, ( the c key for child )
If the person already has a spouse or spouses, you are asked to choose which existing spouse or another spouse.
(it is usually easier to add the spouse before adding the child, but you can do it in either order.)

--I do not feel that the "+ click to Add Father" or "+ click to add mother" on the main screens are fully functional yet as there is no direct link to add the other parent from there. --
Alfred

#3 britwoman

britwoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for your help. I think I understand this now.

#4 Seamus

Seamus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

I am having problems with adding child to an unmarried mother. How do I do it. The mother was never married.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

In the Family View highlight the mother. Select Add>Child>Add new person (select existing person - if they are already in the database). This will give you a mother with no spouse and the one child connected to her. If you know the father you can add him. Just don't add a marriage fact to the parents. 

Renee
RootsMagic