6 replies to this topic

#1 isis

isis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Heres my experience with Rootsmagic, which is an excellent concept

I've been researching all of my family names for over 6 years & I've created a main gedcom of approx 1, 700, 000 people. This presents a no of difficulties ie whether I use my RM3 or RM4 there are constant crashing & or extreme slowness when merging problems. The gedcom is v large as it contains a 2 x language versions of the Adam & Eve database from different sources with different family trees added. Ive managed to merge most of my lines with the main adam & eve family lines so its impractical to split families off into separate databases, especially as some families regularly intermarry with cousins further back, especially in royal trees

Both programmes are functionally on my windows vista pc & all parts work except, now exporting gedcoms as the programmes both crash when I try to export the whole gedcom onto another pc.

RM4 is still unusable despite upgrading to the latest version & getting a new business vista pc, which is faster, because when I try to merge 2 people it takes 30 mins to go to the person I wish to merge to , even if they are the next person on the sidebar list, which is too slow.

Ive now got a mac running snow leopard, Ive tried to run RM4 & RM3 using crossover. They both install, & I've used my pc RM backup files & then the Database files to try & get them to access my pc generated RM database. Both programmes installed ok & run on my mac. But, even though the full database of people opens on the windows ,mac emulator, both RM3 & RM4 crash when I try to merge 2 people. So all I can do is look at the people stored in it

On windows when I couldnt use RM4 when it was to slow, I went back to using RM3 which is much faster & goes to the manual merge of 2 people in secs, however, it crashes after say 15 merges. So I have to keep restarting.

The question is , if I were to use VMware, parallel or virtualbox, does anyone have any tips on exporting RM3 or RM4 files into it
Did anyone find RM4 ran faster especially re: merges on any of those 3 emulators with v large databases?

Also if I have to go back to using RM3 but on an mac/windows emulator, would there be less crashes? Backup works on both RM3 & RM4 fine.

Also if when I installed RM3 on crossover, I then needed to install the RM3 update, there didnt seem to be anyway of doing this because the bottle function didnt see it as a programme update . The upgrade programme says something like RM3upgrade.setup.exe , is there any place I can download 1 final version of the programme in 1 go. I have my license/serial codes for it.

My alternative is trying to export it into a different mac geneaology programme as there is no RM programme for mac. However, both RM3 or RM4 do not allow me now to complete a full gedcom export as they both crash after about 500,000 people so there would be no method of exporting the file

Or the upcoming familytreemaker for mac, or would that be equally slow? When I last tried it a few years ago, it was slow even with a smaller database of about 300,000 people

If anyone wants to try using a large Adam & Eve database, on RM4 & merging you can download a working one at http://www.genealogy...om/gedr2090.htm I have other versions of this installed with this one & Ive managed to merge them, which is very interesting from a dna research point of view

If anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd be very grateful

isis

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

The issues you are reporting have been logged as bugs.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

I downloaded the gedcom you posted it only has 9000+ individuals.

It loaded into RM4 running on a Mac with vmFusion with no problems.

I then manually merged 2 people and it did it almost instantly with no problems.

Maybe if I had a gedcom with more people I could see the same problem you are having but with just 9000+ there is no problem.

Roger

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:00 AM

Source list for 1.7M people must be huge! :P
Jack

a posteriori

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Just a little warning if you end up trying RM4 under Parallels on the Mac and try to share the folders containing the RM data between the Windows and Mac sides.

There are problems with shared folders with the current level of Parallels 5.0.9344 which lead to RM database corruption. However there is a downloadable fix - see http://kb.parallels.com/en/8296 - that seems to fix it OK.

#6 ddg

ddg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Just a little warning if you end up trying RM4 under Parallels on the Mac and try to share the folders containing the RM data between the Windows and Mac sides.

There are problems with shared folders with the current level of Parallels 5.0.9344 which lead to RM database corruption. However there is a downloadable fix - see http://kb.parallels.com/en/8296.

JP -

Could you repost the link to the downloadable fix? It's no longer working. Thanks.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Just erase the period at the end of it.

I saw this somewhere last week, AND I REMEMBERED IT!
Alfred