Jump to content


Photo

Corrupt Backup


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emilito

Emilito

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Background: I am running RM 4 on XP running on Parallels on a Mac... I have been running RM this way for more than a year, perhaps two.This morning I updated to 4.0.8.4 (which I don't think had anything to do with my problem, but ... to give you all the info I have).

I was working on the db for the first time in a few weeks.

While I was working, I suddenly got a message that said "SQLite Error 11 - database is malformed" ... I couldn't get it to work again.

Roots Magic Support said this was a corrupt database and that I'd have to restore from a backup. My last backup was May 1. And this is probably the last time I worked on RM, so I wasn't too worried.

I restored the backup and everything seemed ok, and I was navigating around and everything seemed to work. Then, to check the number of records (I had this number 9539 in my head) I clicked on "File - Properties" ... and I got the SQLite Error 11 message again.

When I checked with RM Support I was told that you don't know if a backup is good till you restore it.

Well, that just fills me with terror ... I tried to export to GEDCOM, and it only got up to 570 people and then gave me the same error.

So - what do I do now? Yes, I know I can go back to the April backup, and then the March, etc ... but Lord knows what I'll have missed ... I've got a large part of my life invested in this entire project, and now it seems as though, even though I back up everytime I add a person or two, there is no guarantee that the backup is good ... What do I do to ensure that? Export every backup to GEDCOM and then reimport into another db?

It's a very frightening prospect and I hope someone out there has some suggestions!!

(PS - I'm pretty sure the db I have up right now has all the records in it - is there a way I can find out what the error is?)

Emil Signes

#2 Alfred

Alfred

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Check that GEDCOM file you tried to export with a text editor, Find the number of the last person exported. (the last line "0 @I#@" where # is the person's record number)
There is something in his record, or the one with the next record number that cannot be exported.

Using the restored backup, which must have been produced after the problem occurred, see if you can open those two people's records for editing. You may be able to see what is wrong there. (Or at least see who it is and delete them, then try finding them on an earlier backup.)

You could also try exporting a GEDCOM file without the notes and/or sources to see if it exports OK.
Sometimes, quite often in earlier versions at least, it was the notes or sources which caused the problem.
Alfred

#3 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have a SQLite Manager with which I can attempt to repair your database, no promises. Send me a private message with your email address if you want me to try.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.


#4 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

This thread continues under the Issues forum in the topic Corrupt Database, Backups & Recovery Therefrom.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.