• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy Wehner

Nancy Wehner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I just picked up Family Atlas at the NGS conference in SLC. I've started playing with it and had no problems with doing some things, like setting up a marker group by surname (seems to work correctly), but I can not get it to do ancestors or descendants of a selected individual properly. For instance, if I select my great, great grandfather Joseph Warren Niles and then ask it to select all of his descendants it only marks 3 or 4 people - a silly outcome given he had 8 children all of whom had big families, etc. There should be hundreds selected. Same thing for ancestors. If I pick my Dad and select for ancestors, I get a number of selections, but it doesn't take long to see that they are not even the right people. What gives?! I'm on RM4. Nancy

#2 Jarid

Jarid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

I just picked up Family Atlas at the NGS conference in SLC. I've started playing with it and had no problems with doing some things, like setting up a marker group by surname (seems to work correctly), but I can not get it to do ancestors or descendants of a selected individual properly. For instance, if I select my great, great grandfather Joseph Warren Niles and then ask it to select all of his descendants it only marks 3 or 4 people - a silly outcome given he had 8 children all of whom had big families, etc. There should be hundreds selected. Same thing for ancestors. If I pick my Dad and select for ancestors, I get a number of selections, but it doesn't take long to see that they are not even the right people. What gives?! I'm on RM4. Nancy

#3 Jarid

Jarid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Having the same problem. I tried to may my ancestors and it doesn't even list me. I also noticed that when you're trying to select the person, you can not go beyond the last name when typing. If I'm stuck on this, I wonder what else I'll have problems with?

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

Using RootsMagic, create a new database, copy your ancestors (or someone's descendants) to this new database by Drag and Drop or GEDCOM file.
Then import the information from that database into Family Atlas.

I do not think that the Atlas itself will sort and rearrange the people after you import them.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. <_<

It was closer to a million times.
:blink:
Alfred

#5 MomHeather

MomHeather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Has anyone ever solved this problem? I tried creating a new RM database with only my direct line ancestors who I want included in my maps. But it is still too many people to wade through one by one to set up the different markers I want to use. An earlier version of Family Atlas did this correctly--I have an old atlas with correct markers to prove it. But I have made numerous corrections and additions to my database that I want reflected in the new maps I am trying to create. This is why I bought the software. I'm frustrated.

#6 RossC

RossC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

I am getting the same problem as well when I import from Roots Magic. Also, where the demo shows a select and unselect button on the edit genealogy markers window, I have select group and unselect group buttons, so I am unable to search for a name like in the demo. I have to scroll down to the specific individual that I am searching for and select them that way.

I have found that if I import from a GedCom file that I don't seem to have the same issue with regards to selecting families, ancestors and the like.
Genealogy, the hobby of putting together a jigsaw puzzle of an exponetially increasing number of pieces, that increases in an upwards and downwards direction continiously, where each piece is a specific event tied to a specific person at a specific period of time... I should have picked up a simplier hobby... studying the human genome ;-)

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

First make sure you are using version 1.0.5.84 (Help>About Family Atlas). If you don't have the right version then go to Help>Check for Updates. When in the list to add people make sure you highlight one individual first and then start typing. It will move to the name as you type so you can select them.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 enp8403

enp8403

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

I recently got Family Atlas and have a similar problem. I loaded in my rootsmagic database, but when I followed the steps shown in the tutorial, I select myself when creating a geneology marker set, but when I select group 'ancestors' leaving the default values, it adds my wife only. I am using version 1.0.5.84 and an imported Roots Magic database with at least 10 generations of ancestors.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

There is an issue with a RM4 or RM5 direct import into Family Atlas. It will import the people and places but not the relationships. Create a GEDCOM from RM4 or RM5 and import that way.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Mike M. 77

Mike M. 77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

This issue still exists with RM6, which I am using along with the latest updated version of Family Atlas (1.0.5.84), on a Windows 7, 64-bit machine. I cannot select "descendants" or "ancestors" using the drop down list, for example.

Importing by GEDCOM allows relationships to be recognized, but many of the places and their geocoding are not recognized. Places that aren't in complete "city, county, state, country" format must be cleaned in Family Atlas.

It's notable that whether data is imported through GEDCOM or RootsMagic file format, Family Atlas does not recognize European-style diacritic marks. RM has been a modern, unicode-based program that can recognize diacritics since 2009.

I like what this program does and it can still be a useful tool for research in a limited way. However, if it is no longer being updated or supported, this should be made clearer in promotional materials.