• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cap624

cap624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

I upgraded my RM ToGo on my thumb drive to 4.0.8.3, but now when I try to use RM ToGo, RM displays a message with three options: Get the free version, buy the full version, or unlock. My thumb drive worked before the upgrade. Any suggestions on how to get RM ToGo to work again? Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

RootsMagic To Go is the name of the program that syncs the RootsMagic 4 program and databases to the thumb drive. The name of the program on the thumb drive is RootsMagic 4 and is the same program that is on on your hard drive.

Did you upgrade directly from the online site to the RootsMagic 4 program on the thumb drive instead of using RootsMagic To Go to sync the RootsMagic program with the update installed from the hard drive?

If so, it looks like it overwrote the program on the drive and is asking for your RootsMagic 4 registration key. Try entering the key into RootsMagic 4 on the thumb drive. You may have to reset your Tools>File options and Program options.

Laura

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

Let's be very clear about the terms RootsMagic and RootsMagic To-Go. RootsMagic To-Go is installed on your base computer along with the RootsMagic that you must register for it to be fully operational. Running RootsMagic To-Go allows you to install a portable version of RootsMagic on your thumb drive (or any drive) and to compare database files for size and age and transfer them between your base drive and another. RootsMagic To-Go is not normally installed on your thumb drive.

I suspect you write RM ToGo when you mean RootsMagic on the thumb drive. The correct way to upgrade RootsMagic on the thumb drive is to first upgrade the RootsMagic base installation. That should have preserved your key on the RootsMagic base. Wgen you run RootsMagic base do you get the same message? If so, then somehow the installation has lost the key and you will have to re-enter it. If you cannot locate the email containing your key, visit RootsMagic support - there is an instruction on how to obtain a replacement key. Once your base RootsMagic has been successfully upgraded and is fully functional, run RootsMagic To-Go, select the thumb drive and you should be presented with one of three options in the first box below the drive selector: Install, Re-install or Upgrade RootsMagic on Removable Drive. Click on that to get a fully functional RootsMagic portable version installed on the thumb drive. Now you should be away to the races!

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 cap624

cap624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

Thank you, Laura and Tom. I had upgraded my RootsMagic app. on my thumb drive using the RM ToGo app. that's installed on my primary PC. And I did that after I had upgraded my primary PC's RootsMagic app. to 4.0.8.3. Laura's suggestion of re-entering the key did the trick. I've since put a copy of the key on my thumb drive in case this happens again after the next upgrade. Thanks!

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Next time, use RootsMagic To Go to update the RootsMagic program on the hard drive. You should not have to reenter your key or reset your preferences.

Make sure RootsMagic is closed on the hard drive.

Insert the thumb drive into the computer.

Open the RootsMagic To Go program.

From the drop down menu, select the drive letter of your thumb drive.

The first box below that will say Reinstall RootsMagic on Removable Drive

Click on the Show option button at the lower left of box to check the options to include.

Click on Reinstall RootsMagic on Removable Drive and RootsMagic on the thumb drive will be updated.

Check RM Help>Index>RootsMagic-To-Go>Reinstall RootsMagic for anything I may have missed.

Laura

#6 cap624

cap624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

I installed the 4.0.9.1 patch to my hard drive and then used RM ToGo to upgrade my thumb drive. After ejecting and re-inserting my thumb drive, it's still displaying the three questions (install Lite, purchase RM, or Unlock). I chose Unlock and used the key that I had squirreled away on the thumb drive. It's not a very clean demo when I'm showing my friends the beauty of carrying a RM database around on my thumb drive (having to enter the key every time), but it does the trick.

Thanks again for getting me up & running by re-entering the Key when I use my thumb drive.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Is that sarcasm or a genuine thank you? It sounds to me that you have somehow installed the base version of RootsMagic on your thumb drive, not the portable version, so that every time you plug it into a different computer, it looks in the Windows registry for the unlock key and cannot find it. The portable version does not do that. I'm guessing that you need to reinstall RootsMagic on your hard drive. Unlock that version with the key. Run RootsMagic To-Go and from its menu reinstall RootsMagic on the thumb drive. That should result in the portable unlocked version being on the thumb drive. But if you're using Vista, Windows 7 or a Mac Virtual Machine, your mileage may vary considerably from my XPerience.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 cap624

cap624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Is that sarcasm or a genuine thank you? It sounds to me that you have somehow installed the base version of RootsMagic on your thumb drive, not the portable version, so that every time you plug it into a different computer, it looks in the Windows registry for the unlock key and cannot find it. The portable version does not do that. I'm guessing that you need to reinstall RootsMagic on your hard drive. Unlock that version with the key. Run RootsMagic To-Go and from its menu reinstall RootsMagic on the thumb drive. That should result in the portable unlocked version being on the thumb drive. But if you're using Vista, Windows 7 or a Mac Virtual Machine, your mileage may vary considerably from my XPerience.

That was a genuine thank you - when I first wrote my question, I couldn't get RM ToGo to run at all on my thumb. And RM ToGo was the biggest reason that I chose RM above its competitors. Laura thought that I wouldn't have a problem upgrading after the last time, but I did, so I was writing to say those two things: 1) I cannot seem get RM ToGo successfully installed on my thumb drive, and 2) thank you for the workaround, otherwise I'd be exporting my data and buying something else.

And, yes, I'm on Vista 64-bit.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

OK, then you still have an issue (and a nuisance workaround). That was not clear. In which case, what I suggested may still be valid.

I hate to sound pedantic about terminology but you cannot install RootsMagic To-Go on the thumb drive. To-Go is installed with RootsMagic on the hard disk - that forms your base workstation. You then run RootsMagic To-Go from the base workstation Start menu and choose its menu option to install or update RootsMagic on your thumb drive. That installs the portable version of RootsMagic on your thumb drive. When you take your thumb drive to another computer, what you are using is RootsMagic in the portable mode; you are not using RootsMagic To-Go because that program was left behind on your base workstation. If you try to update from the instance of RootsMagic launched from the thumb drive, I think you will get a message saying you cannot because RootsMagic is running in the To-Go mode, an unfortunate choice of words because it encourages people to think they are correct in calling it RootsMagic To-Go when that is an entirely other program. If you do not get such a message when you attempt to update from RootsMagic launched from the thumb drive, that confirms my suspicion that you have the base version installed on the thumb drive - you should not!

Read the Help section on RootsMagic To-Go to confirm what I am saying and go through the install sequence as I have described and I think you will end up with RootsMagic on your thumb drive happily running on any compatible computer without the need for the unlock key.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

There is a way to tell if the version of RootsMagic 4 on the jump drive was installed using the RootsMagic To Go program.

When the jump drive version of RootsMagic 4 is installed using the RootsMagic To Go program, there will be 2 files at the bottom of the RootsMagic 4 program files on the jump drive, RootsMagicApp.xml and and RootsMagicUser.xml. RootsMagicApp.xml holds the registration data so that the registration key doesn't have to be reentered every time the jump drive version of RootsMagic 4 is opened. RootsMagicUser.xml holds the program settings for the version on the jump drive.

Also, RootsMagicToGo.exe, unins000.dat and unins000.exe are not included in the program files on the jump drive.

Laura