• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

I am a Snowbird, using 3 computers:
-Desktop up North
-Desktop in Florida
-My wife's notebook, when on road.

I am aware of RM To-Go, but chose not to use it, mainly because I wanted access to Media Files on each computer. INSTEAD, I have RM4 installed on a SanDisk 16 gig removable drive. I have elected to let the installed RM4 on the removable drive to be my MAIN working drive with both program and data. I then back up my data to each of the 3 computers.

This has worked satisfactorily. I have to live with each computer giving my removable drive a different drive letter name and simply using Tools/Program Options/folders to tell RM4 where to find the files.

HOWEVER, in a recent RM4 update, there was a Place Details database module which would not install on my removable drive.

I would like to hear from others who might have similar set up issues, or read comments about my set up decisions.

Val

#2 Dave in New Brunswick

Dave in New Brunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

I also use 2 desktops & a laptop. I set up a folder on my C Drive of each computer called "Genealogy". This is where RM stores all of the various files, like Multimedia, data, gedcom's etc.. I install RM on all 3 computers; one desktop is for data input, and it has the "Working Copy" of all of my data. The second desktop is the research centre, and the laptop is the Roady.

Each day at 1 AM my back-up program "SyncBack" automatically backs up my working copy of C:\Genealogy to my External Drive; the next day we use SyncBack again, on the 2nd desktop to again backup from the external drive to it's C:\Genealogy, thereby always having 2 up-2-date backups and an up-2-date research station. The exact same procedure is used to backup to the laptop.

I use a bought version of SyncBack SE, good for use on "I believe" 5 computers. The external drive is like having a USB Key on steroids; no going back to a USB Key.

Hope this helps

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6264 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

This has worked satisfactorily. I have to live with each computer giving my removable drive a different drive letter name and simply using Tools/Program Options/folders to tell RM4 where to find the files.

You might experiment with relative addresses in Tools > Program Options > Folders as described by vyger (I forget where) and in my post here. It's not perfect but, especially in your case, might prove very convenient as it should need setting only the once. The only glitch I have found so far is that Create a database does not recognise the .\ path and reverts to My Documents. And, of course, the Media links are still store as absolute paths and you have to do the Global Search & Replace on the drive letter.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

2 x Desktops (home and away) 1 x notebook (on the road) 0 x (or very little) snow

I have virtually evolved to working with RMtoGO regardless of where I am, in other words it has become the Master strange as that may seem, but it is the one which is ALWAYS with me.

The flash drive carrys a mirror of my genealogy file structure with all files and I did get the folders on RMtoGO set up to suit. On both my Desktop machines the data drive is D: and of course the drive letter for RMtoGO varys on third party computers depending on their build. I do back up (sync) to both desktops but if I ever get confused about what is most current it has become the flash drive, believe it or not.

To restore media paths you can either use the files > fix broken links or quicker do search&replace > Multimedia filenames and change usually E: to D:, replace all and job done.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

On each of my owned computers, I used Windows to set the Drive letter of my portable hard drive to always be W. I also have all my jump drives assigned to their own letter. My CD/DVD drive is E on my Vista laptop so the USB drive letters start with F. Google, change drive letter in Windows [version].

I have my media files on my 16 GB flash drive. And if I was using the database on it as my Master database, I would save any Media files to the jump drive first and then backup the media files to the computers.

I have put my main Media and RM4 data folders directly under the drive letter of the computer and USB drives. C on both computers since my mini only has C:. C:\A Media, C:\RM4 data, F:\A Media, F:\A RM4 data

I installed RM on both computers and used RootsMagic To Go to put RM4 and the PlaceDB on the portable hard drive and jump drive. To update RM4 on the USB storage devices, I use RootsMagic To Go checking all the Options. To keep it simple, the main database is under RootsMagic4>Data on the drives.

Laura

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

I have my media files on my 16 GB flash drive. And if I was using the database on it as my Master database, I would save any Media files to the jump drive first and then backup the media files to the computers.

This is exactly how I am now working although it took a while to settle to this being the best method for me.

GMTA ;)

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6264 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

Using the flash drive as the Master is reminiscent of when all we had were floppy diskettes. But they were portable, and, unless, you had two drives, you probably had the application and its data on the one floppy, just as you do now on the one USB drive. Let's see: 16GB/360KB is a ratio of....... 46603. Imagine carrying around that many floppies!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Let's see: 16GB/360KB is a ratio of....... 46603. Imagine carrying around that many floppies!

Imagine the TIME it would take to WRITE data to 46603 floppies
The write-time savings even outshines the increased storage capability itself ;)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Not to mention the fail rate of floppies :)

Laura