• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tcloud

tcloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

It would be useful to have an option to allow reporting on frequency of Given names for a particular surname.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

For now, you could create a plain custom report with just the Surname and Given Name(s) fields. Run it against selected people and visually inspect for frequency. It is automatically sorted by those two fields so the first given names will be clustered together. If you need to assess frequency of all given names, regardless of place, save it as a text file, import it as a tab-delimited file to a spreadsheet, write formulas to parse the Given Name(s) field into separate names and collect into stats.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

Pivot tables in Excel would work here.

If you don't have Excel, DataPilot in the free Calc app within OpenOffice might also work. I personally have extremely limited use with Calc and none with DataPilot, so can't say with certainty.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

I guess it would be remiss of romer and I not to suggest that a SQLite query might also serve the interim purpose. However, I think the visual inspection of the custom report goes a long way toward the goal with little effort.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 tcloud

tcloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Isn't this the place to post requests for additional features?

If I wanted to know how to kluge something to achieve this result, I'd post it to the appropriate forum. I have ways to do this, but none of them is a built-in feature.

This was a request -- "Wish List" -- for a built-in report that would return the number of given names per surname just as the surname frequency list does this now.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

Or, for now, use a Descendants list which is not restricted by facts. Unmark Select from list. Mark people. Select people by data fields.

Search by surname. or search by male or female and surname, or search by given name equals/contains [given name] and surname.

Report will be sorted by surname, given. It includes female spouses maiden names but those can easily be deleted after saving the report to a text file.

Laura

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

It is the Wish List, and any ideas posted here will be noted and considered by the developers.

I believe that the wording on the forum used to be stated so as to promote others making suggestions that could be used until a particular idea were implemented, if implemented. It's just become part of the board culture.

These suggestions aren't in any way meant to minimize the wish, but to indicate other methods that can be used in the interim if obtaining the information is important.