• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tcloud

tcloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:29 AM

When doing a One Name Study .... ( http://www.one-name....iles/cloud.html ) the admin is responsible for collecting all instances of a surname (and variants) worldwide.

This becomes a real mess trying to keep the different families sorted out (for example, I currently have almost 500 people in my surname study with the given name "William").

Having a field -- separate from the place field -- for "Country of Origin" would be a significant help with that. There should be an option to display this on the primary Edit page next to the surname. And then an option in the reports to use that field as a selection criteria.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Why not create a new Fact Type called 'Origin', using a Place field? You can then add the fact to each person, search and select people on that fact and customise the People view to include Origin Place beside the name.

Edit - enter Country only into the new fact. Once in the customised People view, you can sort by Country of Origin.

Edited by TomH, 29 March 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

I personally would not like to see another field added to overcome your difficulty although I do identify with it. RM4 introduced Groups to the side bar so you could set up a group for all those whose birth fact contained "Finland" or whatever and name that group appropriately.

A problem that hopefully will be overcome soon is that these groups currently are not Dynamic, in other words if new people were added to your database who were born in "Finland" they would not automatically appear in that group until after you did the find again. So once Dynamic Groups do get introduced you could create one for example - Surname = Jones & Given Name contains William & Birth Place contains Finland, name it appropriately and it will always remain current like a live report.

The other thing I would hope for is that in a future update the People Screen only displays those individuals currently showing in the sidebar rather than the whole database whether that be Index, Family, Bookmarks, History or Groups. That will make managing large datasets much easier.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Sorry -- unintended post . . .