19 replies to this topic

#1 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

RM 4.0.8.0 was just released today, 26 Mar 2010. No details yet on the blog or on the website, but I imagine that they'll be coming shortly.

*edited
Blog entry now posted:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=669

#2 wfb

wfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Well, I just installed the update and (unfortunately) it doesn't really seem to have addressed any of the problems that I've had with RM4. Specifically, the "living" switch ("@") STILL DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK even though I first pointed out this problem more than a year ago. Also, the spurious indentations of the first lines in a narrative report (after any 'fact' note that includes one of more carriage returns at the end) still seem to be present. Finally, at first glance anyway, I don't see any additions to the list of source templates... For me, anyway, a rather useless upgrade!

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

wfb, if I understand correctly, RM 4.1.0.0 will be the release that begins to move beyond the known bug issues, so I'd hope that your requested fixes are still yet to come. Let's hope that these future updates come in more rapid succession, as the blog indicates they will.

By the way, which source template additions were you hoping to see?

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Upgrade: Disappointing!

It appears that most of the work went into fixing "AutoMatch."

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#5 jonathan

jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

Upgrade: Disappointing!

It appears that most of the work went into fixing "AutoMatch."

Jack

#6 jonathan

jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

The upgrade seems to have sorted out the issue in FamilySearch central where individuals sync'd with nFS wouldn't clear from the What's New section.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Rearranging the list of New and Fixed gave me a different perspective from my first read:

Calendar tool:
Calendar tool allows you to type in the year now

Family view screen:
Father/Mother label on family view now reflects the settings chosen by user for the family

Import from other programs:
Direct Legacy import reads New FamilySearch links
Doesn’t hang when importing some GEDCOM files created by FTM 2005 with illegal tags

LDS & newFamilySearch:
Added “LDS facts” button to edit screen when LDS features are enabled
Numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements for new FamilySearch features
Merging preserves the FamilySearch ID
AutoMatch feature added to New FamilySearch support

Media Album:
Primary photo” and “Include in scrapbook” checkboxes no longer appear on non-image media items
Deleting last item in a media album doesn’t cause crash anymore

Merge screen:
Merge screen now shows record number for the two individuals

Place details:
Added “Online map” button to Edit Place Details form
Doesn’t add ‘Note: ‘ to place detail notes when importing from GEDCOM
Place details are now included in group sheet websites
Mapping events for a person (Tools > Mapping) now uses the place detail if it has lat/long entered

Reports, mostly dealing with shared facts:
Better handling of shared events in group sheets
Individual Summary now includes shared events
Source list report includes shared events in citation list now
People sharing an event are now included in narrative index if they are printed in report
Outline, Henry, and D’Aboville reports now print marriage info before the spouse paragraph
Married children in Ancestor+Children narrative report don’t have their paragraphs abbreviated anymore
Suffix and Prefix now print in relationship chart if there is room

Source templates:
Numerous spelling and corrections to source templates

WebSearch:
WebSearch doesn’t require user to re-login to sites when popup windows occur

Perhaps not such a "minor" upgrade considering they were working on getting RM4 ready for translation and having to rewrite nFS features even if some of my pet wishes weren't included. :)

Laura

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Place details:
Added “Online map” button to Edit Place Details form
Doesn’t add ‘Note: ‘ to place detail notes when importing from GEDCOM
Place details are now included in group sheet websites
Mapping events for a person (Tools > Mapping) now uses the place detail if it has lat/long entered

I'm in work in RMtoGo mode at the moment so do not have a chance to try 408 yet but the above were all very much on my list.

I must admit I was disappointed to read "minor update" and 4.0.8.0, my expectations were rising exponentially as time went on toward a "major update" and the jump to 4.1. Anyway bearing in mind the explanation and the declaration of getting back to more frequent updates I am happy enough.

If the translation issues are behind RM now hopefully we can bet back to rounding off all those new features to have them work as intended and may a few utilities to help convert to Place Details and Source Templates.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Source templates:
Numerous spelling and corrections to source templates

Nicely organised and analysed, Laura. As to the Source Templates, I'm pleased to see that all but a few of the 115 corrections I submitted were made plus there were a few more changes. Some of those corrections were repeated errors so the number of lines having text differences when the new RootsMagic.st file is compared to the old is many more than 115. These changes appear to get written to databases that were created with earlier versions, visible at least at the level of Lists > Source Templates. While that will ensure that newly created Sources will have the corrections, I'm not so sure about those created before the upgrade. I'll post a list of which Source Templates have changes in the actual sentence templates from which people can inspect their Sources and Citations for any changes.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

Rearranging the list of New and Fixed gave me a different perspective from my first read:

Family view screen:
Father/Mother label on family view now reflects the settings chosen by user for the family

What does this mean?
Jack

a posteriori

#11 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

When you go into the Edit Person screen, click on Spouse, then in the right pane, set the Husband and Wife labels. When you then view the Family View for that person and the respective spouse, the labels about the two people at the top left of the Family View will now show what you set in the Edit Person window.

These label settings are used to the text that is displayed preceeding the two principal's names in the Family Group Sheet. Either Husband or Father is displayed in the FGS for the man, or Wife or Mother is displayed in the FGS for the woman. If "Partner" is selected nothing appears on the FGS, but the word Partner is displayed in the Family View.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#12 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

When you go into the Edit Person screen, click on Spouse, then in the right pane, set the Husband and Wife labels. When you then view the Family View for that person and the respective spouse, the labels about the two people at the top left of the Family View will now show what you set in the Edit Person window.

These label settings are used to the text that is displayed preceeding the two principal's names in the Family Group Sheet. Either Husband or Father is displayed in the FGS for the man, or Wife or Mother is displayed in the FGS for the woman. If "Partner" is selected nothing appears on the FGS, but the word Partner is displayed in the Family View.

Gotcha! Thanks!
Jack

a posteriori

#13 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Family Group Report has improved slightly but still does not solve the problem of how to display SHARED Events. We have moved forward from it showing, for example, a person dying twice but the new format of showing, say, WITNESS and the details of the prime event does not make it clear what event is being shared.

For exmaple on a shared DEATH event we have 'Witness' and details 'William Gold: of heart attack".

However, on for example a CENSUS return we get

"Present" and details "William Gold: 18 Brewer Street".

But we would get exactly the same narrative if the shared event was a marriage or baptism or any other type of event and it may not be easy to guess the correct event type witout looking it up.

What we need is

"Present/Witness" FACT TYPE Person Name and Details.

I note that the narrative reports still do not list shared events so they are not very usable.

I sincerely hope these what appear to be quite simple programming issues come through in the next release.

#14 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

Family Group Report has improved slightly but still does not solve the problem of how to display SHARED Events. We have moved forward from it showing, for example, a person dying twice but the new format of showing, say, WITNESS and the details of the prime event does not make it clear what event is being shared.

For exmaple on a shared DEATH event we have 'Witness' and details 'William Gold: of heart attack".

However, on for example a CENSUS return we get

"Present" and details "William Gold: 18 Brewer Street".

But we would get exactly the same narrative if the shared event was a marriage or baptism or any other type of event and it may not be easy to guess the correct event type witout looking it up.

What we need is

"Present/Witness" FACT TYPE Person Name and Details.

This was my first observation when I tried out this ne feature, and I wrote about it on the Blog site. We do need the fact type as the first or sedond element in the Details field.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#15 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I note that the narrative reports still do not list shared events so they are not very usable.

I use shared events extensively, and the shared role sentences appear in any of the narrative reports, ascending, descendant, Register, Modified Register, Heny, d'Aboville, etc.

Check in the Lists, Fact type list, that each role has a sentence template. Whenever you add a new role, you must define a sentence template for that role. If you do not have a sentence template, there will be nothing to tell the program what to display in the narrative report for that role.

One fact type I have has 48 roles associated with it. For this one, I created the role sentences in a Word file using a table (role name and template as the two columns) and used copy and paste to add additional role sentences then modified a few words that separated each role from the others.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

One fact type I have has 48 roles associated with it. For this one, I created the role sentences in a Word file using a table (role name and template as the two columns) and used copy and paste to add additional role sentences then modified a few words that separated each role from the others.

I'm looking forward to attending your session at the OGS Conference, Bill, but, as a teaser, what Fact type would have 48 roles???

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm looking forward to attending your session at the OGS Conference, Bill, but, as a teaser, what Fact type would have 48 roles???

The 1830-1840 U.S. Census that has age groups for adults in 10-year increments to 100+.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Thought it might be military ranks...

#19 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thought it might be military ranks...

I haven't looked at that since I only have a few people in the military - none with long term service.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

Well 4.0.8.0 may have been a "minor update" but I just went through my tickets and was able to close out 5 of them!!

Not bad going eh!, thanks RM

p.s, I do have a new avatar and at this rate of going I might have to blow the dust off it ;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root