15 replies to this topic

#1 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Whenever I add a new source, I get sent to the "Edit Source" window. The window always opens very large and in fact I can barely move the complete window up, in order to click on the OK button on the bottom. I have tried everything I am aware of to resize the window which works great; however, when I return, the resizing did not hold and I'm back to the irritating very large window again.
Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

It sounds like you may have your monitor set for 800 X 600 resolution. That is nearly the default size for the source edit window.
As the technology moves forward, the resolution of the monitors goes up. At one time I dreamed of getting up to 800 by 600 resolution, I finally bought a Sony monitor for about $700 dollars. It has been stored in the attic where I haven't seen it for over ten years.
The newer, higher resolution monitors are here to stay and the software is written to take advantage of them.
There isn't much you can do but move the cursor to the title bar, at the top of the window, press the mouse button and drag it up a bit so that you can get to the buttons at the bottom.
OR, you could hide the Windows task bar, just grab it's top edge and drag it down a bit, you can then move the cursor to the bottom of the screen until it changes to a double arrow and drag it back up again. (Vista has an "Auto Hide" the task bar in it's properties but I cannot drag it off the bottom.)
Alfred

#3 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

It sounds like you may have your monitor set for 800 X 600 resolution. That is nearly the default size for the source edit window.
As the technology moves forward, the resolution of the monitors goes up. At one time I dreamed of getting up to 800 by 600 resolution, I finally bought a Sony monitor for about $700 dollars. It has been stored in the attic where I haven't seen it for over ten years.
The newer, higher resolution monitors are here to stay and the software is written to take advantage of them.
There isn't much you can do but move the cursor to the title bar, at the top of the window, press the mouse button and drag it up a bit so that you can get to the buttons at the bottom.
OR, you could hide the Windows task bar, just grab it's top edge and drag it down a bit, you can then move the cursor to the bottom of the screen until it changes to a double arrow and drag it back up again. (Vista has an "Auto Hide" the task bar in it's properties but I cannot drag it off the bottom.)

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#4 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thank you Alfred. Actually it's set at 1440x900 and I'm running Vista. I'll try the autohide to see if that speeds my processing up. I'm not having this problem in my other applications though.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Strange, that's what my resolution is and my 'EditSource' window is about half the screen width and only a bit over half it's height.
Could it be that you have elected a larger Windows text size?
Alfred

#6 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

Alfred,
changing the font sizes in Tools/Program options did not help. I did get the Edit Source window reduced to fit on the screen by reducing my DPI in Control Panel by 6%. After I did that, the first thing I noticed is that some of the areas within RM became LARGER (weird), i.e., the left side surname listing. Also, those windows I had resized before got larger again and needed to be resized. The left side problem got corrected by experimenting with different fonts. So that is fine. The resizing worked EXCEPT on the Edit Source Window. In all the windows I tested, only Edit Source does not hold. In all the cases I tested, even though the resize held, the position of the window on the screen DID NOT hold. Anyway and having said all that, I can now work fairly fast again but RM seems to be my only application where windows resizing and placement is not normally holding. Thanks for your ideas. Much appreciated. Dino

Strange, that's what my resolution is and my 'EditSource' window is about half the screen width and only a bit over half it's height.
Could it be that you have elected a larger Windows text size?

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

HI

I leave my resolution in Vista so I can see my items. But if I want it larger I use the Photoshop Elements trick of Control plus [+] to get the screen large and Control plus [-] to get it smaller. The only thing I do not like in RM4 is that the controls for a screen are below the visual screen and use alt o [Bill's tips for RM4]to get out of the screen. My screen is 1024 x 768 in Vista.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

In all the windows I tested, only Edit Source does not hold. In all the cases I tested, even though the resize held, the position of the window on the screen DID NOT hold. Anyway and having said all that, I can now work fairly fast again but RM seems to be my only application where windows resizing and placement is not normally holding. Thanks for your ideas. Much appreciated. Dino

The subject of window sizes andposition was very active a year ago just after RM4 release, many instances were fixed but then the subjext dried up a bit. One that I always found quite annoying was the To-Do window where it alweays opens on top of the information I want to reference.

I work across 2 desktops, one 1920 x 1200 and the secondary 1680 x 1050 so it's quite annoying when the window pops up a fixed size and slap bang in the centre of what I am looking at. If I remember correctly I opened a ticket for this and it was accepted so hopefully the whole subject of window size and user preferred positioning will be resolved in the future.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

I have reported a bug for the Edit Source Window not holding its size.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

I'm having this problem in 2020.  Sometimes I'm successful in getting the edit window back to its normal size, but then, unaccountably, it becomes large again.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:59 PM

I'm having this problem in 2020.  Sometimes I'm successful in getting the edit window back to its normal size, but then, unaccountably, it becomes large again.

Really that is because the user request/expectation to have windows retain user preferred size was never addressed.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#12 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:06 PM

The strange thing about this is that I don't recall this being a problem until fairly recently.  ("Recently" could be as much as the last six months.  I've found that my memory of time gets compressed.)   I've been using this current Windows 10 machine with two monitors since 2017, and I was using RM before 2017.  I have no idea what would have changed that would have made RM act differently.  The two monitors aren't the same.  One of them was from my previous machine.  But from what I gleaned from reading earlier posts the monitor characteristics aren't germane to this issue.

It's really frustrating.  It's the "Edit Person" window where I have the problem.  I can move the center line which divides the list of facts from the details of the facts.  I can pull the top down and then pull the resized box up so that I can get to the bottom.  At that point one way or the other I can create a small square box with everything in it, just like I remember it always having been in the past.  Then I can click the "maximize" icon at the top right, and then click it again to minimize it.  It goes back and forth with no problem, so it appears the problem is fixed, but then somehow, unaccountably, the same thing will happen again later and I'll have to try to remember what I did last time to fix it.  It's VERY frustrating.  Does RM know what needs to be fixed?

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

RM has remembered the Edit Person screen size and still does. I checked using RM4 on my computer and it is remembering the program and Edit Person screen size. One way it won't remember screen sizes after adjusting is if you are closing the database before closing the program. has that process changed for you? You need to have both close at the same time to store that information. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thank you.  I ordinarily close RM, not the DB, but of course sometimes I make a mistake.  Now that I know that I'm not supposed to lose the size/location of the "Edit Person" box unless I make that error, I'll see if I can figure out what's happening. 

When you resize or move the "edit person" box, do you have to do something to save it, or is it enough to close RM?  Does anything happen when RM is open and Windows closes, either because of inactivity or because it's shut down?

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:45 AM

You don't need to do anything special other than closing the program with the database to save those settings. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:35 PM

The edit person screen just went back to being the full screen.  I didn't close the database without closing the program, so that's not the explanation, at least in this case.  I've put it back the way it should be, and it seems to be holding and working fine.  I thought that it might be moving the RM screen from one monitor to the other, which I often do, but just now I tested that and it doesn't seem to bother it.

There's some particular circumstance that we don't know about which causes it to lose its size.