• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uncle

uncle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I was unable to find the answer. Is there any way to import PAF Sources? When I import from PAF I get Notes etc but not Sources. Years and years of Sources is quite a bit to have to re-type or cut and paste on thousands of individuals.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Are you sure you are looking in the right place for the sources?
I haven't heard of this problem.
Try clicking on the Lists menu, then on Source list and see if they are listed there.
Then, you can do a print, but probably to a file rather than paper, of the listing with citations etc. to see who has what sources.
When you double click on a person to bring up their edit person window, you should see three columns at the right of the listings, Notes (green notebook), Sources (certificate) and Media (camera). If there is a checkmark in the column, some of that information should show up if you click on the checkmark.

============== Woops! ================
I forgot to ask: Was this a direct database import or a GEDCOM file import?
Alfred

#3 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I was unable to find the answer. Is there any way to import PAF Sources? When I import from PAF I get Notes etc but not Sources. Years and years of Sources is quite a bit to have to re-type or cut and paste on thousands of individuals.

What version of PAF are you importing from?

In PAF 2.3 sources were documented in Notes using specific conventions. When I converted PAF 2.3 to PAF 5, going through PAF 4 first since PAF 5 will not convert a PAF 2.3 database, some of my sources in Notes were converted but not all.

When I imported PAF 5 into RootsMagic 4 via a gedcom, my sources that were not in Notes came over as free-form sources. Those that are still in Notes because they were not converted previously by PAF 4 are still in Notes.