• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gntc

gntc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

There is a cemetery named "Occupy #1" in Rapides parish, LA. The place name as stored in the RM data is "Occupy #1, Rapides parish, Louisiana".

FA has placed it in Cambridgeshire, England. ??

"Grandview Memorial Gardens, Madison, Jefferson county, Indiana" is in China?

"The Alamo, San Antonio, Bexar county, Texas" is in China! .... etc., etc.

Clicking (right or left click) on the marker or the place name does nothing -- how does one correct an error in either the placement of the marker or the name of the place (without starting over with the import)?

I manage a large database of contributed data and, no matter how I try, some place names slip by that do not fit any convention. FA says I have almost 10,000 such names! I don't mind going in and adding a country to the entries (but I'd rather not have to), but how does something in Bexar county, Texas end up in China?

It takes a very long time to import the data.

There seems to be no way to save the changes that are made -- why can't the program write back to the RM place database for example?

This would be a wonderful tool were some enhancements made
- being able to add or modify a place name in FA
- being able to click on a place marker or name and edit it
- being able to have selections (corrections) of names from FA also be made in the RM database
- allowing for the word "county" or "parish" to distinguish them from cities -- this is a very big omission, IMO
- allowing the word "township" to be omitted -- or to at least have FA ignore it when matching imported places

I would really like to use this -- and to be able to recommend it to others -- but it is too inflexible and too time consuming as it is.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

I found "Moline, Illinois ?" in South Africa. (Evidently I wasn't sure about the place)
To correct it:
Go to the Lists menu, choose Genealogy Places
Start typing, "Moline Illinois ?" until that place is highlighted on the list.
Click the "Edit Button" and then in the Edit Genealogy Place window, click "Lookup"
When you see the "Lookup a Place" window, Type in "Moline, IL" then click the "Search" button to the right of it and you should see "Moline, Rock Island, Illinois, United States" at the top of a list of possibilities.
Choose whichever one you want and click "OK" then "OK" again.
That one is fixed, If I had made a list of the ones I wanted to fix I could go on to the next one, otherwise I have to close the "Genealogy Place List" and go looking for the next Mark that is out of place.

Boy, if you forget a comma, things get mixed up too!
I think you will have to keep track of the names you want to change and change them in RootsMagic for the next place import. I cannot seem to figure out how to change "Moline, Illinois ?" to anything different, though I can place it's marker.
Alfred

#3 gntc

gntc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

I found "Moline, Illinois ?" in South Africa. (Evidently I wasn't sure about the place)
To correct it:
Go to the Lists menu, choose Genealogy Places
Start typing, "Moline Illinois ?" until that place is highlighted on the list.
Click the "Edit Button" and then in the Edit Genealogy Place window, click "Lookup"
When you see the "Lookup a Place" window, Type in "Moline, IL" then click the "Search" button to the right of it and you should see "Moline, Rock Island, Illinois, United States" at the top of a list of possibilities.
Choose whichever one you want and click "OK" then "OK" again.
That one is fixed, If I had made a list of the ones I wanted to fix I could go on to the next one, otherwise I have to close the "Genealogy Place List" and go looking for the next Mark that is out of place.

Boy, if you forget a comma, things get mixed up too!
I think you will have to keep track of the names you want to change and change them in RootsMagic for the next place import. I cannot seem to figure out how to change "Moline, Illinois ?" to anything different, though I can place it's marker.

What happens if I put "USA" after each United States place?

What does FA want for country -- especially the United States? What works -- "U.S.", "US", "USA", "U.S.A.", "United States", etc. ?

Also -- FA flagged over 9,500 place names it didn't recognize. Does it omit (ignore) those names or are those the names that I'm finding in Mongolia, Kazkhstan, China, etc? If that's what's happening, then the software is useless to me -- there is no way I'm going to go through 9,500+ place names and correct them.

What about the names with the word "county" in them? Is it going to be necessary to remove them (that seems relatively easy to do)? What about the cities that FA wants the word "township" after them?

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

If it can't figure out what you have entered, it lists them for you to clarify the location.
That's what I meant about missing a comma. If it is missing between a city and state, it cannot figure out what it means. It is then up to you to edit that name a bit in the "Lookup a Place" window and pick the proper location.

USA, U.S.A. or US behind a proper location within the United States doesn't seem to bother anything.

If you are too busy to correct the place names, just leave them, it is your data.
Alfred

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Similarly, how many "tiers" are usual?
For example: the village of Cooperstown is in (>>) the town of Otsego >> county of Otsego >> State of New York >> United States. C'town has village police and other functions; the town has at least a road crew; the county has a road crew, court house and sheriff's dept. The hamlet of Fly Creek relies (I think) on the town and county. If I remember correctly from growing up in Southern California, if an area was not incorporated, the county did it all. There weren't any intermediate political subdivisons like towns, which in New York have actual surveyable boundaries. I do remember my unincorporated area being in a water district; and there was an annual fair.
So, to make RootsMagic "list" consistently, I would have to ignore the 4th lowest level of location (from State perspective) or 5th lowest (from US perspective).

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

I don't worry about setting an arbitrary number of tiers for my places. I use as many parts to the place as I need to explain where that place is somewhat guided by the Gazetteer and Geocoding of RM4 and GNIS search.

For more information on US places, I check the GNIS search online. Google GNIS search. Checking Cooperstown, Otsego and Fly Creek is quite informative. The latitudes and longitudes given on GNIS put all three places in different locations.

In RM4, a place name of Cooperstown, Otsego, Otsego County, New York will have Cooperstown, Otsego, New York in the Standardized place name as being the place co-ordinates that were geocoded.

If my interest is actually in Fly Creek, I would use Fly Creek as the place name instead of Cooperstown or Otsego, as RM4 will geocode that place.

Some Townships are geocoded in RM4, at least in Arkansas, or I can sometimes get latitudes and longitudes for townships from GNIS search, so if I just have a township, county, and state, I enter the place name as Smith township, Whatever County, State.

We can now geocode places in RM4 and get the Match places screen that we get in FA, so I do my correcting of geocodes in RM4 now instead of FA.

Laura

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

Checking Cooperstown, Otsego and Fly Creek is quite informative. The latitudes and longitudes given on GNIS put all three places in different locations.

Quite understandable as "lats & longs" have an almost-crosshairs pinpoint. Fly Creek is northwest of the village of Cooperstown. C'town has actual surveyable land boundaries so I'm guessing GNIS selected the middle of the village. Ditto for Otsego. I'm not familiar with GNIS, so I don't know if you can specify a difference between the town and the county.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn