3 replies to this topic

#1 Penna_tmn

Penna_tmn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have a large number of different trees and find difficulty when I want to work on one that does not feature in the RECENT list. I try find files and choose the one with the most recent date only to end up with opening an empty database!

What AM I doing wrong. Am I saving to the wrong location?

Penna

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

I have a large number of different trees and find difficulty when I want to work on one that does not feature in the RECENT list. I try find files and choose the one with the most recent date only to end up with opening an empty database!

What AM I doing wrong. Am I saving to the wrong location?

Penna

I have sub folders in my genealogy folder, one is RM Files (main database files) and another is RM Backups (for backups) These folder locations are set under Tools>Folder Options so RM always chooses the path.

By default I believe RM saves to Rootsmagic 4\data, easy way to check is to click Backup and look at the path alongside BROWSE to see where your files are being saved.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I would recommend putting the backup files on a different hard drive than the one that the database is stored on. Unless, of course, you have a five level RAID system.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

I would recommend putting the backup files on a different hard drive than the one that the database is stored on. Unless, of course, you have a five level RAID system.

Agreed, never trust a single physical device, especially if it's made by that manufacturer that has let me down twice :angry: - I don't think I would even trust 2 of them in a RAID.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root