• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Finnigan

David Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

The following examples relate to searching by record number - using CTRL-F and then ALT-R:
  • If the number is found, I correctly get the required person highlighted
  • If the number is not found (and is lower than the highest record number in the database), the currently selected person remains highlighted (without telling me there was no match) - thus giving the impression that I have found the required person when in fact I haven't
  • If the number is higher than any number in the database, the record with the highest number is highlighted (once again without warning)
I would like to see warnings displayed whenever a search by record number does not find a match. This would avoid any confusion created by the current situation that can result in incorrect record selection. Thanks.

#2 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I would like to see an addition to the Search function. In the Search drop down add 'Search by Record Number'

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:48 AM

I would like to see an addition to the Search function. In the Search drop down add 'Search by Record Number'

Search > Person List > Find > [select] Record Number equals

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

I agree that a quicker operation to get to a person by record number is desirable in both the Main View and in the Edit Person screens. On the Main View, I would like to see an optional "GoTo#" button and the same function supported by a keyboard shortcut. In the Edit Person screen, assuming it remains modal, I would like to have the same capability.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Richard Spiess

Richard Spiess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

Is there any way to get a target date for this? It appears to have been in your enhancement list since at least 2010.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

We never release dates on when enhancement requests will be added or not.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 ketchell

ketchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

For speed of editing a fast search by person id is essential. Doing major editing as I move my database to be RM compatible. However I am back in TMG to do the editing as it is much faster.

Editing sources and people is much faster by ID as there is only one match. I wish RM offered the option for ID upfront.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

For speed of editing a fast search by person id is essential. Doing major editing as I move my database to be RM compatible. However I am back in TMG to do the editing as it is much faster.

Editing sources and people is much faster by ID as there is only one match. I wish RM offered the option for ID upfront.

As the original poster stated use CTRL-F and then ALT-R, that's what I do and I find it OK, of course a single shortcut would be quicker and more ergonomic.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root