• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

I have attempted to develope a sharable CD by going through the steps presented!

I named file, placed in Doc's, opened RM #4 selected file new and named gedcom file!

Selected import, selected file, but was unable to obtain the import file in the new database.

Preformed three time without success, reread help and found no steps overlooked?

Any suggestions, is the file bad?

How can I reclaim the gedcom file to repeat the process or do I need to go therough the entire proccess
of making a new gedcom file???

THank you for your expert help!.

John Heintz

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

You want to create a sharable CD.
To create one of your complete database, you do not need to export a GEDCOM file.

But, if you want to create a sharable CD of a part of your database, you need to export a GEDCOM file of selected people (and events?)
Look in Help about GEDCOM files, creating or exporting.

Once you have exported the GEDCOM file, Create a NEW database in RootsMagic. Make sure you are in this new, empty database, (It might be a good idea to close your main database so you don't make a mistake and import that GEDCOM file into it.)
OK, with the new, empty database open, go to the file menu and import that GEDCOM file (Help - GEDCOM - Importing)

NOW, do the Create Sharable CD from the Tools menu, from that NEW database.
Be sure to note where the File is stored on your hard drive in case you want to burn the CD using your own burning program. (That way you COULD add some other things to the CD if you wanted to.)
Alfred

#3 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

You want to create a sharable CD.
To create one of your complete database, you do not need to export a GEDCOM file.

But, if you want to create a sharable CD of a part of your database, you need to export a GEDCOM file of selected people (and events?)
Look in Help about GEDCOM files, creating or exporting.

Once you have exported the GEDCOM file, Create a NEW database in RootsMagic. Make sure you are in this new, empty database, (It might be a good idea to close your main database so you don't make a mistake and import that GEDCOM file into it.)
OK, with the new, empty database open, go to the file menu and import that GEDCOM file (Help - GEDCOM - Importing)

NOW, do the Create Sharable CD from the Tools menu, from that NEW database.
Be sure to note where the File is stored on your hard drive in case you want to burn the CD using your own burning program. (That way you COULD add some other things to the CD if you wanted to.)

Alfred;

Thank you for your comments and procedual steps.

I have retraced my steps, and have followed the steps you outlinein your reply tobegine the processs of a sharable CD of only
selected people from the primarly database. Proceeding to the export phase, the file is placed in the Documents file where it
appears like it becomes invalid?, because when I attempt to import into the new database, all I see is a slight ficker in the
window, like it attemps to import the data!

I am wondering if this file should be in the RM folder rather than the Doc's folder. Does this sound logical?

Alfred, my reasoning for this is the data base folders are split between Doc's and RM folders. Naturally, im a novice which makes
me wonder if this might be part of the problem but, the help sections provides no help with distintion between folders.

I have again created a new process of selecting thos items I want to set up for a sharable CD from the main database, following
those help instructions and I conclude with the same problem when importing that data to the new database.

I am doing some wrong with the steps but, it isn't apparent because my wife experenced the same end result.

So, should all RM databases be in the RM folders? and not seperated between the RM and Doc's folders? If it doesn't make any
difference then I have an unusual problem?

Thank you Alfred for any insight into this thing thats giving me the fits.

JOhn Heintz.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

Where you create the GEDCOM file shouldn't have much to do with it as long as you look in the same folder to import it into the new database.

Hmmmm?

===================

OK, try this.

Open your main database.
Go to the File menu and choose NEW.
-- If the new, empty database does not open in a split screen beside your main database, go to the Window menu, in RootsMagic, and choose "Tile Vertically."

Now click and hold the mouse button on someone you want in the new database to put on the CD and drag them to the new database. You should get a menu asking if you want only this person or a few other options. You can choose his ancestors and/or descendants or just mark or unmark by data fields.

It is the same as creating and importing a GEDCOM but it is done in the background where you never see the GEDCOM file.
Alfred

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

John, when you try to import a GEDCOM file, an LST file is also created. You might look for that file and open it in a word processing program (NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.) to inspect any issues that might've arised and view any statistical data. It should have the same name as your GEDCOM, but have an LST extension.

As to your folders, first set up your Default Folders in Tools > Program Options > Folders. From that point forward, any items of the relevant type will be looked for and saved there unless you override them and navigate to another folder when doing something on the fly. After setup, you may need to move any existing files to their new proper locations.

As an example, you could specify:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic for RootsMagic data files
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Backup for Backup files
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Multimedia for Multimedia files
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\GEDCOM for GEDCOM files
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Reports for Report files

This path structure is based on Vista, so if you're using XP or another operating system, it might appear a little different. You might also want to do away with \Genealogy\ in the path depending on preference, and/or change these paths as is most intuitive for your use.

* Sorry, Alfred, I posted above before realizing that you'd replied.

John, I should probably also point out that you should go to File > Export and make sure that the settings there are what you intend. Dragging-and-dropping uses these settings, so you'll want to make sure that they're set appropriately or risk excluding some data that you didn't intend to.

#6 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Where you create the GEDCOM file shouldn't have much to do with it as long as you look in the same folder to import it into the new database.

Hmmmm?

===================

OK, try this.

Open your main database.
Go to the File menu and choose NEW.
-- If the new, empty database does not open in a split screen beside your main database, go to the Window menu, in RootsMagic, and choose "Tile Vertically."

Now click and hold the mouse button on someone you want in the new database to put on the CD and drag them to the new database. You should get a menu asking if you want only this person or a few other options. You can choose his ancestors and/or descendants or just mark or unmark by data fields.

It is the same as creating and importing a GEDCOM but it is done in the background where you never see the GEDCOM file.

I want to thank you Alfred and Romer for your combined responce. I really appreciate you interest and comments.

After reviewing both comments and suggestions I retraced my steps, by confirming where I stood in the process of attempting a sharable CD.

1) I have formatted a list of selected people for the CD!

2) The ged-com file was made and stored in C:\ documents.

3) I setup a (new) Database, the title was highligted indicating success!

4) Went to file + import gedcom, It would not make the trip!

5) Attempt to drag and drop from main window to new database, (failed)

6) Main window, clicked on person to drag, (window highlighted)

7) Held down mouse button, moved to new database window, failed to highlight in new window!

8) Other steps taken; Made sure program was updated to 7.0.7.1, backed up program, rebooted,
and attempted items 1 thru 4 five times and each failed the steps.

There seems to be some real strange things happening. ei,

By attempting to import the org gedcom into the new database, upon execution, the new data base
wants to create another new file, upon clking OK, it tells me that file already exists, IS this normal,
or is the file curupted?

Thank you gentlemen for your help.

John R.

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

John, in RM4, go to Help > Contents. Click on the Search tab. In the "Type in the word(s) to search for" blank, type:

Dragging and dropping a person

and click on the "List Topics" button.

Double click on the "Dragging and dropping a person" Title that appears, and the Help contents for the topic will appear. Where "one database" is described, it will correspond to your main database. For "another database", assume this one to be the new one that doesn't yet have any people in it. (You'll be dragging and dropping from the main database to the new empty database.)

In case there was any ambiguity in what was described earlier in this thread or in any preconceived notions that might've existed on your part, follow the directions presented for this topic to the letter, and see if it works.

#8 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

John, in RM4, go to Help > Contents. Click on the Search tab. In the "Type in the word(s) to search for" blank, type:

Dragging and dropping a person

and click on the "List Topics" button.

Double click on the "Dragging and dropping a person" Title that appears, and the Help contents for the topic will appear. Where "one database" is described, it will correspond to your main database. For "another database", assume this one to be the new one that doesn't yet have any people in it. (You'll be dragging and dropping from the main database to the new empty database.)

In case there was any ambiguity in what was described earlier in this thread or in any preconceived notions that might've existed on your part, follow the directions presented for this topic to the letter, and see if it works.

Romer;

I preformed the steps as presented, everything happened as you stated, I attempted to drag my primary subject from the main
database, without any success. I repeated the step several times without any results!!
The drag and drop feature did not function in any way.

Although starting with Family Origins and progressing into Rootsmagic I have never encountered anything like this before.
So,I'm not able to go beyond the procesedual instructions within help files.

Addtionally, I have preformed gedcom's, setting up new databases and draging & dropping before!

Something has happened, for I also opened the second main database in the second window to test the drop feature, I could not
drag or drop between the two windows. I preformed that step a few times in the past.

The window that is recieving the drugged item should highlight the moment you cross the line between the two windows!
This will not happen?

And I'm at a total loss!!

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

John, when you click on a person in your main database and drag it over toward the new empty database, the cursor should immediately turn into a circle with a diagonal line through it until you get into the area in the new empty database that has a background (as soon as you pass to the right of the Sidebar if that latter database is on the right of your main database). At that point, it should then turn back into a cursor with a rectangle attached (representing paper?). Once that occurs, you should be free to let go of the left-click button to drop. The Drag and Drop screen should then appear.

If this behavior isn't happening, I'm not sure what may be going on. If you have another database, you might also try it on that one to see if you can drag and drop into the new empty one to see if a possibly-corrupted database might exhibit the strange behavior that you're seeing. I wouldn't think so, but it may be worth a try.

#10 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

John, when you click on a person in your main database and drag it over toward the new empty database, the cursor should immediately turn into a circle with a diagonal line through it until you get into the area in the new empty database that has a background (as soon as you pass to the right of the Sidebar if that latter database is on the right of your main database). At that point, it should then turn back into a cursor with a rectangle attached (representing paper?). Once that occurs, you should be free to let go of the left-click button to drop. The Drag and Drop screen should then appear.

If this behavior isn't happening, I'm not sure what may be going on. If you have another database, you might also try it on that one to see if you can drag and drop into the new empty one to see if a possibly-corrupted database might exhibit the strange behavior that you're seeing. I wouldn't think so, but it may be worth a try.

Well; I think it happened by accident. but, perhaps it makes a difference!! I had my windows arranged with the main database on the right! The database I intended droping into was on the left! When left clicking in the main, the small little circle would not appear? But, by accident, reversing the windows, for no reason, and whawa, the small little circle appeared and a drag and drop could be made. ( The main window was on the left and second window on right)!
This sounds very quirky but,and perhaps a frecky situation, but, because of the happening I didn't try going anyfurther, perhaps later just to try the reversal and see what happens???.

Anyway, I'm back to my original problem, making a selected (export gedcom) of people in the main database and importing into the second window. I tried that import after, hopefully resolving the drag and drop, but, it failed as in prior attempts.

So, its back to the drawing board for me!

Should a new thread be opened? or will we continue with my original thread??

Thank you for the guidence!

John R.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3267 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

Romer;

The window that is recieving the drugged item should highlight the moment you cross the line between the two windows!
This will not happen?

And I'm at a total loss!!

No, that is not how it works. When you Drag and Drop into a new database, the focus doesn't automatically change from the original database to the new database. Click in the new database after the Drag and Drop is finished. I often drag and drop several different people or families into a new database before I go to the new database to work. It would be annoying to have to change the focus back to the original database if I wasn't finished with transfering people into the new one. Perhaps this is the reason the focus doesn't change to the new database automatically.

One thing I find myself doing is trying to drag and drop from the name in the Sidebar even though I know better. I click and hold and nothing happens. All I am doing is running the cursor around the screen. :) The Drag and Drop must be done from the person highlighted on the main screens, Pedigree, Family, etc.

Laura
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

John, it shouldn't matter if you drag and drop from left to right or right to left. Anyway, if you were able to drag and drop successfully, you effectively exported a GEDCOM from the main database and imported it into the new blank one. You can now go ahead and produce the shared CD from that new database (picking up where Alfred left off), as was the goal.

If you're just wanting peace of mind about being able to export/import a GEDCOM file the long way (without drag and drop), again go to Help > Contents. This time, type in GEDCOM, and List Topics. The first item of interest that you'll want to pull up will be Creating a GEDCOM file. Follow those instructions to export a GEDCOM file from your main database. Next item that you'll want to reference is Importing a GEDCOM file. Do those steps in order to import that exported GEDCOM file to create a new database.

The result should be the same as if you'd dragged and dropped provided that you chose the same selection criteria as to whom to include and left your File > Export GEDCOM settings the same.

#13 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

If you do Tools - Program Options - Folders, and set the default locations for various types of files that RootsMagic uses, things will be easier for you to find from then on.
Of course, any files you have already created will not jump into those designated folders. But, those designated folders will be the defaults from then on.

In my opinion, those File options should be the first thing anyone does when starting to use RootsMagic.
Alfred

#14 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

No, that is not how it works. When you Drag and Drop into a new database, the focus doesn't automatically change from the original database to the new database. Click in the new database after the Drag and Drop is finished. I often drag and drop several different people or families into a new database before I go to the new database to work. It would be annoying to have to change the focus back to the original database if I wasn't finished with transfering people into the new one. Perhaps this is the reason the focus doesn't change to the new database automatically.

One thing I find myself doing is trying to drag and drop from the name in the Sidebar even though I know better. I click and hold and nothing happens. All I am doing is running the cursor around the screen. :) The Drag and Drop must be done from the person highlighted on the main screens, Pedigree, Family, etc.

Laura

Laura;

Thank you for your comments. I think I have resolved the drag and drop problem I was having and am now satisfied that I am
able to preform that problem. I now can see the circle which appears when you left clk on the object to drag & drop.

Thank you for your suggestion.

John R.

#15 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

The only time I see a circle is while I am dragging across the sidebar or someplace I cannot possibly drop the dragged person.

A circle with a bar through it an in "not here," otherwise I see a square note attached to the cursor arrow.
Alfred

#16 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

The only time I see a circle is while I am dragging across the sidebar or someplace I cannot possibly drop the dragged person.

A circle with a bar through it an in "not here," otherwise I see a square note attached to the cursor arrow.

Gentlemen;

For starters lets omitt any reference to drag and drop, as that is no longer a issue.

I have reviewed the memo's, your's and mine, and I continue to encounter nothing but confusion. So, with your permission I would
like to start from the beginning for I'm not able to resolve any aspect of my problem!

My objective is to seperate part of the individuals from an active database of Heintz.rmgc.

I am attempting to pull individuals of Gress family from Heintz active database and import into a gress.rmgc database.

After attempting to preform that process outlined in creating an export from the active, Heintz,database, ( refer to export gedcom)

Help instructions stipulate, (select people)When one or more people are chosen to CLICK ok to close dialog[/u]! the people
button beside the field changes from grey tone to color. You can reopen the Selected People screen by clicking on the color
button to change your selection.

I Have Tried This Feature Times Without Any Success, In fact when OK is clicked it closes the Select People Dialog. On reentry you
start from the beginning and never go beyond that step!

Further Help instructions within the (selected people dialog box, Export Gedcom from RM menue)

provide steps 2, 3, and 4. click the marked people button and choose the option of Ancestors of highlighted person and choose the
approphate option, step 5 click OK. This closes the dialog and you cannot proceed to step6, nore to step7
Step 9 instructs to click export and save gedcom file. This step never canbe accomplished even when all above steps are iqnored.
So, steps 10 and 11 never become a reality.

I certaunly do not want to become picky but, the help instruction are certainly not friendly to non=pro type's like me.
but, are most confusing to me trying to follow directions.

I can preform an export file of my active database Heintz.rmgc, it appears in Documents heintz.gedcom and if the file wasn't
already active I would be able to restablish that active file.

What makes the selected people export so much differant, other than I'm attempting to seperate people out of the Heintz database
into a Gress database?

I am also unable to preform this entire process from my Dell laptop because it acts the same way, beyond my comprehension!.

Any suggestions or help you can extend will be appreciated!

John Heintz

#17 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Help instructions stipulate, (select people)When one or more people are chosen to CLICK ok to close dialog[/u]! the people
button beside the field changes from grey tone to color. You can reopen the Selected People screen by clicking on the color
button to change your selection.

I see this in the Help file, but I cannot find a "People" button or anything else which changes color.
(I wonder if the Magician is taking confusion lessons from Microsoft :) )
OH! now I see it, the little button showing two people, just to the right of the "People to select" field, changes from gray to color when you change from everyone to selected people.

=============
Forget everything you read in Help, what you know and what you think you know about exporting a GEDCOM file and try to follow these steps.

1: Go to the File menu
2: choose Export
3: In the GEDCOM export dialogue window, the People to export, choose "Select from list" the little people button changes to color and you are jumped to the "Select People" dialogue window.
4: Type in a name, Surname, given, if you just want this one person click the box to his left to mark him, if you want his relations, click the Mark people button.
--Mark people:
--a: you get to choose: family, ancestors, descendants, etc. of highlighted person- Make your choice
--b: you will probably get some options, choose the appropriate one and click OK in the option window.
--c: you are still in the select people window, You can choose another group related to the marked person (a:)or type in another name and mark or unmark from him, (4:), or if you think you are through selecting, OK out of it.
5: Back in the "GEDCOM export" dialogue window, If you think of someone else to include, click on that little people button to select some more people, Otherwise, choose your options and click the OK button,
6: The Save as dialogue gives you a place to name the GEDCOM file and choose where to save it.
7: Click Save to save the file.
Alfred

#18 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

Open Heintz.rmgc. Under File > Export, click on "People to export" drop-down box, and click on "Select from list". "Select People" screen will appear. Click on person whose ancestors you're intending to export (but not necessarily on his/her checkbox); background will change color, with blue as default. Click on "Mark people" button, then on "Ancestors of highlighted person. "Ancestor Options" screen should come up. Click the radio button of your selection (and specify "Number of generations" if relevant), and click on the OK button. Persons chosen will appear with a checkmark next to their names in the "Select People" screen. (If you need to select more people, cick on another person to right of his/her checkmark, then again on "Mark People" button, etc.) Once happy that all people needed are checked, click on the OK button of the "Select People" screen. Make sure "GEDCOM Export" screen settings are checked as desired, then click on the OK button. For "File name", type Gress if Gress.GED isn't already taken in the specified folder. Note folder name. Click the Save button, and Gress.GED will be saved.

Under File > Import, click on GEDCOM radio button. Click on the "I know where the file is" button. Double-click on the Name of the file that you created earlier. Click on "Create a New Database". The "Create a New File" screen will come up. For "New file name", type Gress, making sure that Gress.rmgc doesn't already exist. Make sure "Options for this file" are as intended. Click on the OK button. Some additional settings will come up; answer them as you wish or not at all. Click on OK button, and Gress.rmgc file will be created.

Having said all that, I'd highly recommend that you not split out the file to create two databases if you're intending to maintain both, as it would be a maintenance nightmare. The best use of splitting out a line is if you're just going to send the information to someone else.

I hope that I'm adequately answering your questions. Good luck!

* looks as though Alfred beat me to the punch!

#19 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Open Heintz.rmgc. Under File > Export, click on "People to export" drop-down box, and click on "Select from list". "Select People" screen will appear. Click on person whose ancestors you're intending to export (but not necessarily on his/her checkbox); background will change color, with blue as default. Click on "Mark people" button, then on "Ancestors of highlighted person. "Ancestor Options" screen should come up. Click the radio button of your selection (and specify "Number of generations" if relevant), and click on the OK button. Persons chosen will appear with a checkmark next to their names in the "Select People" screen. (If you need to select more people, cick on another person to right of his/her checkmark, then again on "Mark People" button, etc.) Once happy that all people needed are checked, click on the OK button of the "Select People" screen. Make sure "GEDCOM Export" screen settings are checked as desired, then click on the OK button. For "File name", type Gress if Gress.GED isn't already taken in the specified folder. Note folder name. Click the Save button, and Gress.GED will be saved.

Under File > Import, click on GEDCOM radio button. Click on the "I know where the file is" button. Double-click on the Name of the file that you created earlier. Click on "Create a New Database". The "Create a New File" screen will come up. For "New file name", type Gress, making sure that Gress.rmgc doesn't already exist. Make sure "Options for this file" are as intended. Click on the OK button. Some additional settings will come up; answer them as you wish or not at all. Click on OK button, and Gress.rmgc file will be created.

Having said all that, I'd highly recommend that you not split out the file to create two databases if you're intending to maintain both, as it would be a maintenance nightmare. The best use of splitting out a line is if you're just going to send the information to someone else.

I hope that I'm adequately answering your questions. Good luck!

* looks as though Alfred beat me to the punch!

Gentlemen;

Over the week end I concentrated exclusivly on this project and am pleased to inform everyone that, at least both your recent
memo's have confirmed precisly what the help file attempts to accomplish. My obstacle was missing the (small) icon when clking
Ok, I never notices it lighted up. So, from there on I proceeded through the process of completeing the selected people list. I closed the gedcom dialog and sure enough, it asked to make a gedcom file, it was filed in the Documents folder, and shows up in the
folder as gress,gedcom, but, (complacency doesn't last very long.) I am unable to import that gedcom file into the established, NEW, gress.rmgc window that was setup.

When preforming the file+ import, chck radio button RM Ver 1-3 + know where file is? DOES not bring up the gress.gedcom file in
Documents, or can it be located in any other folder through out the root directory, where did it go???? and where is the best place to go from here. (No, Don't answer that)

Perhaps, after noting Romers comment I need to tell you what I want to accomplish, perhaps there is another way.

There are gress people with my Heintz main database. I want to extract those people into a seperate database and provided for excluding the living stats, ei, Mo Day Year, with only year and place. mainly to protect the living from identity thieft! After making the transtition prepare a sgarable CD for this group of people. Is It do-able?

I apoligize for all the time and effort I place upon you fellows, perhaps one day I will be as astute with RM as both of you.

But, like I told you I'm a novice at this game and more than likley your going to hear from me again.

Thanks alot.

John

#20 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2594 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

[quote name='jrheintz' date='25 January 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1264449102' post='33010']
So, from there on I proceeded through the process of completeing the selected people list. I closed the gedcom dialog and sure enough, it asked to make a gedcom file, it was filed in the Documents folder, and shows up in the
folder as gress,gedcom, but, (complacency doesn't last very long.) I am unable to import that gedcom file into the established, NEW, gress.rmgc window that was setup.{/quote]
You mention (I presume) gress.gedcom as the filename (it should have been saved by RM as gress.GED).

When the program is getting ready to save your export, it checks what -YOU- have set in:

Tools->Program Options->Folders->GEDCOM files

as the -DEFAULT- folder to -SAVE- GEDCOMS in. IF you -HAVE NOT- set the Program Options, it -INSTEAD- uses your My Documents folder. Either of the previous defaults -CAN- be overridden, at a certain point in the Export process, right -BEFORE- it asks you to click <OK> because the dialog screen for saving shows the destination and allows you to -INSTEAD- browse to -ANY- folder location and save there.

Once saved in your desired location (preferably you have set the Program Options so it always loads and saves your GEDCOMS from there), the secret to import is -NOT- the option named RootsMagic (version 1-3)... it's the one named GEDCOMs (other programs)
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N