4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

I'm not sure if this got out before but I have a fair number of individuals whose birth year does not appear in the Sidebar Index even though they do have a valid birth year.

Editing the individual and saving the birth year does correct the problem but they should be there in the first place.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

I can't say I agree with the solution, but Kim (RM) told me the way to resolve this issue is to export the file (gedcom) and then import it back into an "empty" file. I did this and it works, but then the probably continues. I don't know if they are trying to correct the problem or not. Might not hurt for you to open a ticket and see what kind of response you get.

P,S. It also happens with death years.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Might not hurt for you to open a ticket and see what kind of response you get.

I'm pretty sure I have an open ticket for this and will check.

Beware that Kim's solution on 4.0.7.1 will append any Place Details Notes with an extra "NOTE:". Kim is well aware of this Place Details Notes bug so I am a little surprised she would recommend users to export and import gedcoms. <_<

See video at bottom of page http://www.vyger.co....ce-details.html

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

I developed a SQLite query that lists individuals whose Birth Year is missing from the sidebar (and from other views and reports where just the YEAR is outputted) or mismatches the value that has been stored in the Date field of the Birth fact. You could use this to check for missing Birth Years and lack of synchronicity between the table that stores the date of the Birth fact and the one that stores the Birth Year, normally derived from the former. I say 'normally' because I have come across persons having a Birth Year but no date in the Birth Fact - probably a GEDCOM import.

The query can be obtained from the SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic4 wiki here.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

The query can be obtained from the SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic4 wiki here.

Tom, I was about to offer a bit of webspace for your work but just viewed the wikispace and it's a nice piece of work and will be very helpful when I get down to that level in RM4.

In the meantime I will keep trying to highlight problems within RM and you and your band keep developing outside the program, should make for a great future ;)

Again, well done and very helpful

Root