17 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

I have been using the date calculator recently and approximating birth dates from recorded census age details.

Everytime I select the Date Tools, I have to also select the Calculator Tab. It would be a lot nicer if RM remembered your last usage in Date Tools and returned there.

Simple one I think and hope.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:31 AM

I have been using the date calculator recently and approximating birth dates from recorded census age details.

Everytime I select the Date Tools, I have to also select the Calculator Tab. It would be a lot nicer if RM remembered your last usage in Date Tools and returned there.

Simple one I think and hope.

I just did a date calculation yesterday and closed RootsMagic. Today when I opened RM4 and click Tools > Date Calculator, the Calculator tab was already opened.

But when I access the calculator from inside an Edit person window (click the calendar icon to the right of a date field), the Calendar tab will always open.

I wish there was an option to have the Calculator tab open by default or that it at least remembered the last usage.
~ Debbie

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

I just did a date calculation yesterday and closed RootsMagic. Today when I opened RM4 and click Tools > Date Calculator, the Calculator tab was already opened.

But when I access the calculator from inside an Edit person window (click the calendar icon to the right of a date field), the Calendar tab will always open.

I wish there was an option to have the Calculator tab open by default or that it at least remembered the last usage.

I didn't notice that, good point, however it still does not really help me in the way I am working. If the last used tab via the Edit Person window was remembered it would save me a lot of clicking.

On census records to approximate birth dates I enter the census date in the "end date", tab down and enter the age then click "Select Start" and just edit it to bet one year previous and selection to give me the whole year. Probably not right with people making themselves younger but at least a good starting point, that's why I use the calculator tab quite a lot on data entry.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

I would prefer that Calculator be the default whereever the Date calculator tool is accessed,from Tools or Edit person fact.

I would settle for remembering the last choice.

I use the Calculater all the time to calculate birth ages. I might use the Calendar once or twice a year especially since RM4 will add the day to the date if we add that choice to the date in the sentence.

Laura

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

I use the Calculater all the time to calculate birth ages. I might use the Calendar once or twice a year especially since RM4 will add the day to the date if we add that choice to the date in the sentence.

I agree Laura, my use of the calculator far outweighs the use of the calendar.

Root

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

I agree Laura, my use of the calculator far outweighs the use of the calendar.

Root

#7 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

I would also like to be able to bring up the date calculator when I have a screen opened to add the person. I am new to RM, but more than once I have had the "new person" screen up and have to get out of it because the record I am looking at gives a death date and xy xxm xxd for the birth date. I then have to "exit" my new person screen, calculate the date using the date calculator and then bring up the person I was working on to get the date entered.

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Willis, I'm not sure if I followed your post, so excuse me if I'm not responding to your question as intended.

In the Edit Person screen, when highlighting a fact, a calendar icon appears at the far right of the Date field. If you click on it, the Date Tools screen will come up, allowing you not to have to close the Edit Person screen to get at it. The icons also appear in the Add New Person screen.

#9 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

I would also like to be able to bring up the date calculator when I have a screen opened to add the person. I am new to RM, but more than once I have had the "new person" screen up and have to get out of it because the record I am looking at gives a death date and xy xxm xxd for the birth date. I then have to "exit" my new person screen, calculate the date using the date calculator and then bring up the person I was working on to get the date entered.

When you are in a date field for birth, death, burial or other facts you may have showing, the calendar at the right end of the data field opens a window where you can access the Date functions, Calendar and Calculator. This thread was started to request a way to have the Calculator as the default rather than the Calendar, to reduce keystrokes or mouse clicks when doing exactly what you want to do.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

When you are in a date field for birth, death, burial or other facts you may have showing, the calendar at the right end of the data field opens a window where you can access the Date functions, Calendar and Calculator. This thread was started to request a way to have the Calculator as the default rather than the Calendar, to reduce keystrokes or mouse clicks when doing exactly what you want to do.

After another spurt of working with RM4 and to further reduce mouse work, I would like to have a shortcut key to open the Date Tools.

Root

#11 Steps In It

Steps In It

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I am using RM6 latest version - I started when RM was Parsons many years ago. Any time I click on the DATE TOOLS the CALENDAR tab is the default tab. Always has been. I put on the wish list because I almost never use the CALENDAR feature. A shortcut key mentioned to open DATE TOOLS would certainly be nice!

I use the SET RELATIONSHIP quite often. I did find an error that I reported to RM folks - I have a 9th great grandparent showing up as a 9th cousin 1x removed - his wife properly my 9th great grandparent. These type of things lead to trust issues... I reset the RELATIONSHIP to their son and it shows properly father and mother - when set back to me the mistake continues. I have reindexed and all the other database tools to no avail. Waiting for an answer from RM.

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I put on the wish list because I almost never use the CALENDAR feature. A shortcut key mentioned to open DATE TOOLS would certainly be nice!

The direct link to Date Calculator is already unded the TOOLS menu, personally that is not where I would want it as I cannot access that option when I am entering a fact Date which is when I need the Calculator <_<

LFT has both Calendar and Calculator in the one UI but I am sure when the Rootsmagician thinks through the functionality of this feature and reflects on how users use it he will make the required small changes so Date Calculator can be accessed directly from the Edit Person screen without further clicks.

Root

#13 Steps In It

Steps In It

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Apples and Oranges and I haven't been clear. When I am HIGHLIGHTING BIRTH, MARRIAGE DEATH etc. - the little ICON to the right of the Date: that looks like a CALENDAR PAGE - when clicked on brings up the DATE TOOLS - which defauts tot the CALENDAR tab. Not the one in the ALT-T TOOLS - I NEVER use that one as it doesn't do anything useful other than calculate a date that I then have to remember long enough to place where it needs to be - at 63 that is a long time between clearing the tool and finding and placing the information - lol...

#14 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I am using RM6 latest version - I started when RM was Parsons many years ago. Any time I click on the DATE TOOLS the CALENDAR tab is the default tab. Always has been. I put on the wish list because I almost never use the CALENDAR feature. A shortcut key mentioned to open DATE TOOLS would certainly be nice!

If you're at the Date Tools window with the Calendar and Calculator tabs showing, just use CTRL+TAB to switch between the two. It doesn't matter whether you use ALT+T at the main menu, or click the calendar icon - you end up in the same window.

I count over 30 items in the main menus alone without keyboard shortcuts, most of which are carryover omissions from previous versions, so I wouldn't count on any improvements being made anytime soon.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Ludlow, SHIFT-TAB isn't moving me from the Calendar to the Calculator. I have to use Alt-A to do that.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ludlow, SHIFT-TAB isn't moving me from the Calendar to the Calculator. I have to use Alt-A to do that.

My error ..... CTRL+TAB, not SHIFT. I corrected my original post. And yes, ALT+A and ALT+C do work, except that the 'A' and 'C' are not underlined until you press the ALT key.

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Bottom line is that if I want the Date Calculator then give me the Date Calculator without all the finger dexterity.

Renn, I believe the best enhancement here as with a lot of features is to remember the last used Tab, then in 99% of cases Rootsmagic will suit the users needs and preference.

Root

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic