• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Is there a way to move my pictures to another library and not have to relink all the pictures I now have for my file? Also, in the future I may want to split my file into a husband and wife line so that it will be more manageable and also easier to create gedcoms to send to the two sides of the family. It would be nice if I could split the pictures without having to relink everything, but I think under the present system, that would be impossible.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Is there a way to move my pictures to another library and not have to relink all the pictures I now have for my file?

Go to Search>Search and replace. Select Multimedia filenames from the drop down menu.
Copy the part of the paths that will be changed in Search for box.
Make the path changes in the Replace with box. Click OK and choose replace to step through or Replace all to change all.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Since RM only stores the link to the media in the database, you don't have to seperate out Maternal and Paternal media into different folders unless you just want to. Just mark Multimedia links when making a gedcom.

Maintaining 2 databases with the same people in it is alot of work. Been there, done that. Never again!

If you want to make reports with both sides of their ancestors included for someone younger than where the Maternal and Paternal lines were split, the missing ancestors will need to be added to the second database. Any changes made to anyone in both databases will need to be made in both databases.

Any new people that should be in both databases have to be added to both. That can be a real pain if you have several new people.

Keeping sources, place names, repositories, sentence defaults, etc. standardized in both databases becomes an issue and more work.

Eventually, whatever the starting good intentions, the databases have deverged. And if/or when you decide to put them back together, there is a mess to clean up.

RM4 gives us some ways to make it easier to choose who to export in a gedcom. Any work seting them up and maintaining them is far outwayed by the work necessary to maintaining 2 databases religiously.

Color code the Maternal and Paternal lines, Maternal as Fuchsia and Paternal as Blue. Color code any person that needs to be in both exports as Purple. [Pink and Blue make Purple ] Use the Color code to select for a gedcom, For the Maternal line: Color Coding is Fuchsia AND Color Coding is Purple. For the Paternal line: Color Coding is Blue AND Color Coding is Purple. [you can also use this Color Coding to seperate the database into two new databases to split the database]

And/or add a user defined fact to everyone in the database with the family group in the description. Maternal for maternal or Paternal for paternal and Both for persons that will be in both. Select who will be exported by the fact description.

Or, make a Group for Maternal and Paternal and include everyone that you want exported in either group. Add any new persons to the Groups as you add them. Unmark any persons you are going to delete from the Groups.

Laura

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Splitting a database so that you can keep a husband's and wife's families separate is a step in the wrong direction. Especially if they have any descendants who may be interested in both lines.

Exporting the ancestors of any one person in a GEDCOM file is as easy as thinking about it a bit.

Export selected people
Highlight one person and click the mark people button,
Choose ancestors of highlighted person, then you can choose with or without their children or even all collateral lines. (Collateral lines WILL get everyone in the tree if there is another way this person's ancestors are linked to the rest of the tree. You may have to temporarily unlink paternal Uncle Tom's wife from her parents because her brother married someone on the maternal side, or something like that. )

You can continue to Mark or Unmark people by highlighting another person and choosing ancestors, families, descendants or even just selecting by data fields, maybe something like people born after 1900.

If you keep related people in different databases, you will have to be very careful that you enter any mutual people in both. If you are as forgetful as I am, you are sure to forget someone now and then.

==== If I had only been two minutes faster, I would have been first. :(

================
I told you I was forgetful, I meant to tell you how to export the pictures to go along with your partial GEDCOM file.

Import that partial GEDOM file into a new, empty database, then do a sharable CD of that new database, you don't need to write it to a CD unless you want to.
The Pictures folder in that Sharable CD folder will contain copies of all the multimedia files in the GEDCOM file. They will have a different path location though. With RootsMagic 4, the recipient can copy those pictures onto his hard drive and use RootsMagic to repair the media links.

Why is everything harder to explain than it is to do? :unsure:
Alfred

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Also, in the future I may want to split my file into a husband and wife line so that it will be more manageable and also easier to create gedcoms to send to the two sides of the family.

Don't. You can export selected lines. Read up on the Select People topic in the Help system.

But exporting to GEDCOM won't carry the images with it, just the links. A Shareable CD will carry the images all linked from the source database collected together in one folder called Pictures. The message that comes up when you click on that menu item tells you how to create one that is a subset of your database, i.e., export a GEDCOM, say, for your wife's line, import it into a new, temporary RM database and make the shareable CD from it. Then you can delete the temporary GEDCOM and .rmgc file and continue working on your master database.

It's a pity that the shareable CD does not include a GEDCOM linked to the media on the CD. That way, the recipient could have GEDCOM and photos altogether and it would simplify the sender's chores. Moreover, it would be even better if the Shareable CD function had the Select People and what to include options that we have in the Export function.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3501 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Maintaining 2 databases with the same people in it is alot of work. Been there, done that. Never again!

Splitting a database so that you can keep a husband's and wife's families separate is a step in the wrong direction. Especially if they have any descendants who may be interested in both lines.

Don't. You can export selected lines. Read up on the Select People topic in the Help system.

I can only add to what has been said above, working towards ONE complete database should be the goal here rather than several smaller ones (a nightmare of lost and duplicated information)

At the risk of sounding like the proverbial broken record, we really need DYNAMIC GROUPS to become a reality, after all Bruce did acknowledge that they were some way down the road back in October 2008.

With DYNAMIC grouping you could have two groups to suit your needs, 1. ancestors of your husband and 2. ancestors of yourself and they would always be current rather than STATIC as they would be at present. When exporting a gedcom any Groups you have created will appear under the "People to export" drop down list so can be easily exported without having to specify any further find criteria. <_<

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root