• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 valleygirl

valleygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

The item below is frustrating as one can't move any records or pictures from their folders without losing them from the rootsmagic database. That should be changed so that when you insert a picture or record it stays there no matter where you put it on your computer. Othjer than that this program is one of the better family tree programs. A few changes and it would be the best. Does anyone agree??

When you add an item to the media album, RootsMagic does not store the item in the database itself, it stores a link to the item on your hard drive. So if you move your RootsMagic files to a different computer, you also must copy your media items to the other computer.

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

When you add an item to the media album, RootsMagic does not store the item in the database itself, it stores a link to the item on your hard drive. So if you move your RootsMagic files to a different computer, you also must copy your media items to the other computer.

With the large size of image files and the ease to download images from the web or take digital pictures these days, it is no longer practical to store images within the program. Almost all modern genealogy programs have moved to the linking to digital files model rather than embedding them in the program. Speed is a paramount importance to the vast majority of users, and embedded images slow down the programs tremendously because of the sheer size of data that must be manipulated by the program.

I can't see how RM could keep track of the paths for files that you move on your computer, unless it was the actual program that did the move, and I don't see that as a practical solution, particularly if you are moving files from computer to computer.

I copy any digital files that I want to include in RM to a Media folder that I have under my RM_Data folder. (In this RM_Data folder, I also have a Data_Files folder, a GEDCOM folder, a Backups folder, a Reports folder and a Website folder.) The files in the Media folder are copies of files located elsewhere so I can edit them, crop them, resize them, or do whatever I want to do to them without affecting the original file. If I need/want to copy my RM files to another computer, all I have to do is copy the whole RM_Data folder structure, then use the Search, Search and Replace feature to rename the portion of the path name to point to the new location, if needed. I have used this set up for many years, and moved my files to new computers several times over the years (as I replaced dead computers or replaced outdated machines with newer, faster versions) and I found it very efficient and effective.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

The item below is frustrating as one can't move any records or pictures from their folders without losing them from the rootsmagic database. That should be changed so that when you insert a picture or record it stays there no matter where you put it on your computer. Othjer than that this program is one of the better family tree programs. A few changes and it would be the best. Does anyone agree??

You are right, RM is one of the better family tree programs and I am very glad it does not store the files in it's database despite your wish. If it did all my files would then be huge and probably slow to work with, I worked with FTM many years ago and this was one of the things I didn't like about it, however different people have different needs.

I would suggest essentially that you think and plan how you will store and segragate your media files, which of course might change in the future. If you do make a change in the future like c:\genealogy\my-family to say c:\genealogy\people then just do a search and replace on multimedia filenames and replace \my-family with \people.

Providing you have not changed the file names themselves you could also go to Lists > Media Gallery then click Tools > Fix Media Links and RM will re-establish the links providing it can find the files.

If you have changed the file names then you are just asking too much, RM would have no logical way to identify files with changed names.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 valleygirl

valleygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I now have all my pictures in a picture file but have acquired some duplicates that I wanted to get rid of but if there is no way around this then I will be ok. I'll wait until I have my tree ready for print then I will fix my files and reinstall them in the genealogy.

Have a good day and thanks again.

valleygirl

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

There is a sneaky way to get all of your media items in one folder.

Do a sharable CD of your database, you don't even need to burn it to a CD.
All of the media items linked will end up in a subfolder of sharable CD folder, labeled "Pictures".
You could move or copy that folder anywhere you want it and do few search and replace for multimedia file names to get the links right again. (You could then delete the shareable CD folder and it's contents)
Alfred