• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

OK, I am feeling like an idiot. This has to be simple but danged if I can find it. I want to create a PDF file of a family where I know the couple have children but don't know the first thing about the children. I need the blank spaces for the children to be generated so I can have them fill out the information. Once I have the PDF generated I can create text fields using Acrobat and then send them to family members to have them fill out in reader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

I can see a couple of ways of doing this:

• Add children to the family tree, leaving names, dates blank, as many as you want spaces for on the form. Then generate the FGS. When you get the data back, fill in the blanks for each known child in the tree. Delete any extra blank children.
  • Don't add children to the tree. Generate the FGS for the childless family, save the RTF. Generate a blank FGS (<ctrl-P> look for Blank reports under All Reports or Reports) and save to another RTF. OPen both RTF's in a word processor and copy paste from one to the other to consolidate the parental data with the Children tables in one file. Then convert to PDF and do your thing.
Of course a variant on #2 would be to simply send them both forms without merging and have them return them both with updates.

Also, why an interactive PDF when they could just as easily fill in the RTF using a simple word processor such as WordPad?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

The option, "Blank child records to fill page" from RM3 is not available in RM4. Re-adding this option back into the FGS would go a long way to resolving this issue.

In the meantime, the blank charts were added back into RM4, and one is the FGS report. When creating this Blank FGS, in the report setup, if you set the number of 12 children, page 2 will be a full sheet of blank child records. Send this to RTF, then delete the page one stuff, and you have a universal page for children that you can include with any FGS reports you send.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm