• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ToddR

ToddR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

When I try to log in to NFS via RM4, I always get an "Unable to Connect" error that
says I should make sure I am connected to the internet. I am definitely connected
to the internet though, and I have verified my username and password by going directly
to NFS using Internet Explorer and logging in. I have double-checked to make sure that
all of my firewalls have rootsmagic.com and familysearch.org set as "safe" sites.

It's especially weird because I was able to connect just fine the other day when I only
had the demo version, but now that I have actually paid money and upgraded to a fully
registered version, it is no longer working. :(

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

Thanks!

#2 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

It's a frequent happening I'm afraid. All you can do is shut RM down and restart it. Perhaps it's that dreaded interface with NFS that does it, I don't know.

Don

#3 ToddR

ToddR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Thought I would come back and report that I was able to resolve this issue.
The problem was that my computer clock was reset (probably by my kids), so
the timestamp was way off, and that prevented RM4 from being able to connect
to familysearch (certificate errors). If you are experiencing a similar
problem, make sure the time/date on your computer is set correctly.

#4 kensmith

kensmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

Was this problem ever fixed? I have been trying to download and I get "unable to connect" errors a lot of the times and I hit retry and it downloads but then I get the error again. It is getting old. It is still downloading after a day... taking so long cause I cannot sit here and keep hitting retry, it is up to 15,000 names but legacy took me to 500,000 names so I am afraid this could take a long time. I am not sure how many names I even have since I stopped legacy after a few days. I checked the firewall and its ok. But it does download, just stops after a few minutes then I have to hit retry. Sometimes it goes for an hour. BTW legacy gave me no problems with the downloading so I do not think it is the connection but I want to use rootsmagic.

#5 PDW

PDW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

I also use another genealogy program and have not been about to get back on NFS through either program. I know they have updated NFS as well as the software programs but so far nothing has been solved. Is there any time by which we can know when NFS is functional or do we just have to wait and see? I can go to NFS outside of any genealogy program but I want and need to be able to tie the two together. The one thing I like about working within the programs is nothing I do effects the Church program, I have to do this outside of any genealogy program and work within NFS only. As to being able to contact them and get corrections it works fine. I do have a problem with tying some of my families together with NFS as RM4 won't allow some of these actions to take place and I have to enter them in manually and then am able to tie them together, sometimes. I have also found if I can't tie them together when I type in the name and tie them I have to make sure I use the NFS name as the principal or they won't be tied together then either. I do have a problem with the program crashing or just sitting and doing nothing but waiting for over a half hour at times, but only when I am working with tying-merging members of my program with NFS. Then the program will not allow me to merge them without me coping the information onto my program then merging them. I have to shut down the program and restart which I am now use to but am in hopes that in the future this problem can resolved. I know some of my problem is I don't wait long enough for some of these transactions to take place but not all of them. Now after all my complaining, I want to say, I feel for my use this is the very best program I have ever used. It does what I want out of a program with the easiest and best way for me and I am still learning all of its uses.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Please make sure you have the latest build 4.0.8.4. This issue has been resolved.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Please make sure you have the latest build 4.0.8.4. This issue has been resolved.

Welcome to the world of RootsMagic :) Renee

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 teeter59

teeter59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Welcome to the world of RootsMagic :) Renee

no it hasn't either. Even though I followed all directions and I have both the LDS and the Public family search log on, and have synced them
as instructed, I can only sign in from the family search website (not roots magic) or thru my old roots magic ver 2.04 otherwise it is dead in the water and it locks up the computer also

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

no it hasn't either. Even though I followed all directions and I have both the LDS and the Public family search log on, and have synced them
as instructed, I can only sign in from the family search website (not roots magic) or thru my old roots magic ver 2.04 otherwise it is dead in the water and it locks up the computer also

If I am reading your description correctly it appears that you can successfully login to the (old) FamilySearch website. There is a different login for the www.familysearch.org website and the http://new.familysearch.org website. You also need an LDS Account now to login to New FamilySearch. RM4 is having you use your NFS/LDS Account login information. Even though you can "sign-up" for a NFS or LDS Account you do need to be an LDS member to currently use this feature. It has a limited release right now and has not been launched to the world. If you are LDS please contact their support at 1-866-406-1830 to make sure that your NFS and LDS Account has been synced correctly.
Renee
RootsMagic