• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Snyder

Richard Snyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

Will there be a MAC compatable version of RM4?
When?

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:07 AM

Thus far, there has been no indication that a Mac-only version of RM will be created. Mac users running on a PC-compatible processor are running virtual machime software like Parallels on which they can run RM and other windows programs.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

Same as with Linux. It runs great as long as you have installed Wine.

#4 Richard Snyder

Richard Snyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thanks to both of you.

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

Just to expand the above a little. I've used Parallels V4 for almost a year now with first RM3 and then RM4 with no problems. In my case, RM is really the only Windows application I now use frequently (one or two other Windows applications get occasional use), but starting it/switching to it is pretty easy and user friendly.

Just (yesterday) tried the new Parallels V5 (for non-RM reasons - I have a GPS device that only has Windows support that didn't work in Parallels V4 but does with V5) and it turns out that if you use the new use the new Crystal mode (a Parallels display mode for Windows/Windows applications) and the Maclook configuration option for your Windows virtual machine, then a Windows application such as RootsMagic appears/behaves almost exactly like a "standard" Mac application.

Even without these new goodies, RM is still very usable on a Mac.